Presentation on theme: "Lots of fun! Win valuable prizes!"— Presentation transcript:
1Lots of fun! Win valuable prizes! The Linear motion gameLots of fun!Win valuable prizes!
21. How is velocity different from speed? Velocity is speed in a given direction.They are measured in different unitsVelocity is used for natural objects , but speed is used only for machines.
32. A ball tossed vertically upward rises, reaches its highest point, and then falls back to its starting point. During this time the acceleration of the ball is alwaysdirected downward.opposite its velocity.directed upward.in the direction of motion.
43. A vector is a quantity that has time and direction.magnitude and direction.magnitude and time.
54. Acceleration is defined as the distance an object has fallen.the rate at which velocity changes.the rate at which distance is covered.the rate at which an object freely falls from rest.
65. A pencil lies on your desk 5. A pencil lies on your desk. If the Earth is moving around the sun at a speed of 30 km/s, how fast is the pencil moving relative to the desk? How fast is the pencil moving relative to the sun?30 km/s; 0 km/s0 km/s; 30 km/s30 km/s; 30 km/s0 km/s; 0 km/s
76. In the absence of air resistance, objects fall at constant acceleration.distances each second.speed.velocity.all of the above
87. Consider drops of water leaking from a water faucet 7. Consider drops of water leaking from a water faucet. As the drops fall theyget farther apart.remain the same distance from each other.get closer together.
98. Which of the following is a possible unit of speed. a 8. Which of the following is a possible unit of speed? a. kilometers per second. b. miles per minute. c. centimeters per year. d. all of the above. e. none of the above.
109. A ball is thrown straight up 9. A ball is thrown straight up. At the top of its path its instantaneous speed isabout 50 m/s.about 20 m/s.about 5 m/s.0 m/s.about 10 m/s.
11The following graph shows the position of an ant on a straight line over time. 10. At which of the following pairs of times was the ant moving in the same direction?A. 5 s & 10 s B. 4 s & 12 s C. 2 s & 17 s D. 10 s & 15 s
1211. A ball is thrown straight up 11. A ball is thrown straight up. At the top of its path its acceleration isabout 20 m/s2.0 m/s.about 50 m/s2.about 5 m/s2.about 10 m/s2.
1312. Suppose you drop a feather and a hammer at the same time while standing on the moon, where there is no air. Which will reach the ground first?Neither - they will both reach the ground at the same time.The hammerThe feather
1413. Which of the following would NOT be considered a projectile? A cannonball thrown through the airA cannonball thrown straight upA cannonball rolling off the edge of a tableA cannonball rolling down a slopeAll of the above are projectiles.
1514. At the instant a ball is thrown horizontally with a large force, an identical ball is dropped from the same height. Which ball hits the ground first?The dropped ballThe horizontally thrown ballNeither. They both hit the ground at the same time.
1615. What is the velocity of a cheetah that runs 90 meters toward a zebra in 3 seconds?
17The following graph shows the position of an ant on a straight line over time. 16. At which of the following pairs of times was the ant in the same position?A. 5 s & 13 s B. 8 s & 18 s C. 2 s & 12 s D. 6 s & 20 s
1817. How far will you go if you drive at a velocity of 25 meters per second eastward for 30 seconds?
1918. True or false? Average speed is defined as the time it takes for a trip divided by the distance.
20The following graph shows the position of an ant on a straight line over time. 19. During which of these time periods is the ant moving slowest?A. 1 – 6 s B. 6 – C. 11 – 14 s D. 16 – 20 s
2120. What is the acceleration of a car that goes from rest to 25 m/s in 5 seconds?
2221. A girl drops a water balloon from the chair lift at the Georgia National Fair in Perry. Ignoring air friction, what is the velocity of the balloon 3 seconds after it is dropped? (The acceleration of earth’s gravity is about 10 m/s2.)
23The following graph shows the position of an ant on a straight line over time. 22. During which of these time periods is the ant not moving?A. 1 – 6 s B. 14 – 16 s C. 11 – 14 s D. 16 – 20 s
24positiontimepositiontimeAB23. Which of the two graphs represents an object that is moving at constant velocity?
2524. Create a line graph for position vs 24. Create a line graph for position vs. time of a car shown in the table below. Make position the y axis and time the x axis. Be sure to label each axis, number each axis, plot each point, and draw a best fit line.time (s)position (m)16212318424530367428489541060