Presentation on theme: "Chapter 15 Energy Assignments 15.1 Math Skills 1-3 p 448; AQs 1-9 p452"— Presentation transcript:
1Chapter 15 Energy Assignments 15.1 Math Skills 1-3 p 448; AQs 1-9 p452
215.2 Learning Targets for Energy Conversion and Conservation Describe a situation in which energy is transformed from one form to anotherExplain how energy is conservedGive an example in which gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are changed from one to the otherSolve equations that equate initial energy to final energyDescribe the relationship between energy and mass
3PE beg.= KE end = 0.5*10 kg*(60 m/s)2 PE beg. = 18,000 J MP 1. A 10 kg rock is dropped & hits the ground at 60 m/s. Calculate PE before it was dropped. Ignore friction!PE beginning = KE endPE beg. = KE end = ½ m*v2PE beg.= KE end = 0.5*10 kg*(60 m/s)2PE beg. = 18,000 J
4PE beginning = KE end = mgh KE end = 70.0*9.9 m/s/s*3.0 m MP 2. Diver w/mass = 70.0 kg stands atop 3.0 m high platform. Calculate PE on platform and KE as he enters water (ignore friction)PE beginning = KE end = mghKE end = 70.0*9.9 m/s/s*3.0 mKE end = 2100 J (? speed entering water)KE = ½ m*v22100 J = 0.5*70.0 kg*v22100 = 35*v2 (divide both sides by 35)60 = v2 (take the square root of both sides)V = 7.7 m/s
5PE beginning (KE=0) = KE low point (PE=0) = mgh MP 3. A pendulum w/ 1.0 kg weight is set in motion from 0.04 m above lowest point of path. What is KE at the lowest point? Ignore friction.PE beginning (KE=0) = KE low point (PE=0) = mghmgh = 1.0 kg*9.8 m/s/s*0.04mPE beginning = mgh = 0.4 JPE beginning = KE end = 0.4 J
61. Describe how energy can be converted from one form to another in a wind-up toy Elastic PE stored in the wound up spring is converted to KE as the spring unwinds and the toy moves.
72. State the law of energy conservation. Energy cannot be created or destroyed (only transformed)
83. What energy change is taking place as an object falls in free fall? PE is being converted into KE as it falls.
94. Explain Eintstein’s conclusion about the relationship between energy and mass. Energy and mass are equivalent, and can be converted into one another
105. What type of energy change results when friction slows down an object? Friction causes the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy
116. Describe the energy of a playground swing at its highest position. The swing has maximum PE and no KE at its highest point.
129. A 0. 15 kg ball is thrown into the air and rises to a height of 20 9. A 0.15 kg ball is thrown into the air and rises to a height of 20.0 m. How much KE did the ball initially have?KE beginning = PE endKE beg. = PE end = mghKE beg.= PE end = 0.15 kg*9.8 m/s/s*20 mKE beg. = 29 J
13KE beg. = PE end = mgh (solve for h) KE / mg = h 10. A 125 g steel ball with a KE of 0.25 J rolls along a horizontal track. How high up an inclined track will the ball roll if friction can be ignored?KE beginning = PE endKE beg. = PE end = mgh (solve for h)KE / mg = hh = 0.25 J / 125 kg*9.8 m/s/sh = 0.20 m