Presentation on theme: "Chapter 2 Review p. 48 - 49. 1. Explored the West Indies Answer: Christopher Columbus 2. Searched for the “Fountain of Youth” in Florida Answer: Juan."— Presentation transcript:
Chapter 2 Review p. 48 - 49
1. Explored the West Indies Answer: Christopher Columbus 2. Searched for the “Fountain of Youth” in Florida Answer: Juan Ponce de Leon 3. Led the second expedition around the world Answer: Francis Drake
4. Led an expedition that became the first group of Europeans to see the Pacific Ocean Answer: Vasco Nunez de Balboa 5. England sent him to explore. His search for the East Indies failed, but he reached Newfoundland Answer: John Cabot 6. Explored the St. Lawrence River Answer: Jacques Cartier
7. Sailed to North Carolina and Newfoundland in search of the Northwest Passage. Answer: Giovanni da Verrazano 8. Defeated the Aztecs Answer: Hernando Cortes 9. His expedition was the first to sail around the world, though he was killed during the journey. Answer: Ferdinand Magellan
10. America is named after him. Answer: Amerigo Vespucci 11. Worked for Vasco Nunez de Balboa before becoming interested in conquering the Incas. Answer: Francisco Pizarro
1. How did the globe, compass, and map improve exploration? The globe, compass, and map improved exploration because sailors could use these tools to make travel safer and easier.
2. What happened when other countries became jealous of Spain’s discoveries in the New World? French, Dutch, and English ships began seizing Spanish ships and looting Spanish towns.
3. Why was defeating the Spanish Armada important for the English? Defeating the Spanish Armada was important for the English because it increased the country’s power in Europe.
4. What was Roanoke colony? Who started it? Roanoke colony was the first English colony. It was started by John White. The colony disappeared.
5. What was the first French colony? Who started it? Samuel de Champlain set up the first French colony in Quebec on the St. Lawrence River.
6. Why did many people want to leave England when James I became king? Many people wanted to leave England when King James I became king because of his strict religious rules.
1. Do you think the Europeans would have found the New World as quickly if Columbus had not made his voyages? Why or why not?
2. Who do you think was the most important explorer? Why?
3. Many people left England because they were searching for political or religious freedom. Do you think these rights are important in the United States today? Why or why not?