Presentation on theme: "Lesson 2: Hard New European Colonies Social Studies 5 th Grade Mr. Vida."— Presentation transcript:
Lesson 2: Hard New European Colonies Social Studies 5 th Grade Mr. Vida
What was the reason that countries like France, England & the Netherlands wanted to discover a Northwest Passage?
Preview: England founded Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America in 1607 Places: Roanoke Island Virginia Jamestown People: Queen Elizabeth Walter Raleigh John White Francis Drake King James I John Smith Chief Powhatan Pocahontas John Rolfe Vocabulary: charter stock cash crop Indentured servant House of Burgesses
Samuel de Champlain (French Explorer) In 1603, He was part of expedition that explored the St. Lawrence River to find the Northwest Passage
Northwest Passage A waterway connecting the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans HOPES: To make it easier to sail from Europe to Asia NEVER FOUND but the search led to the founding of European colonies in North America.
Quebec (FRENCH COLONY) 1608 – Founded by Champlain On the St. Lawrence River WHY HERE… WHAT WAS SO SPECIAL?
Quebec (FRENCH COLONY) MILLIONS of beavers lived here! $$$ Beaver furs could be sold for HUGE PROFIT in Europe! $$$
Quebec (FRENCH COLONY) Huron Indians trapped beavers & brought furs to Quebec Traded furs for European goods
New France The French started other colonies including the town of Montreal These French colonies were called New France
Henry Hudson (English Sea Captain) 1609 – Dutch leaders sent him to search for new water routes to Asia Like Champlain, sailed up a wide river hoping it would be Northwest Passage After sailing 150 miles, river became too shallow, he stopped & claimed the land for the DUTCH
Henry Hudson (English Sea Captain) Later, in honor of him, this river was named the Hudson River
New Netherland This is want the Dutch colonies became known as THE NETHERLANDS is another name for HOLLAND, the country of the DUTCH
New Amsterdam 1624 – Dutch settlers began building this town on Manhattan Island From this spot, the DUTCH could control trade of the Hudson River
To help the colony grow, the Dutch encouraged people from many countries to settle there Settlers arrived from these & other countries: Belgium France Finland Norway
New Amsterdam became a thriving town with a diverse population In 1644, French visitor remarked that he saw 18 different languages spoken there It was later taken over by the English & the name was changed, but it still to this day remains diverse, and wealthy, and the largest city in the United States. Do you know its current name?
1. Fill in the diagram for question #1 comparing and contrasting these details about Roanoke and Jamestown: Why did some English leaders want to build colonies in North America How did John Smith help the Jamestown colony How did tobacco help Jamestown grow
Organized by Walter Raleigh Led by John White People disappeared Organized by Virginia Company John Smith became leader Tobacco helped colony survive English wanted to find gold and other resources 1.1.
2. Why did England want to begin a colony on North American eastern shore?
To find gold and other natural resources; to keep Spain from claiming all of North America
2. How did England defeat the Spanish Armada in 1588?
It’s small, quick ships had powerful guns
4. Why did Jamestown almost fall? How was it able to survive?
The colonist were too busy looking for gold to support themselves: John Smith became the colon’s leader and made the colonist work toward survival 4. Why did Jamestown almost fall? How was it able to survive?
5. Do you think the House of Burgesses was the best type of government for the Jamestown colony? Why or why not?
Possible Answer: Yes, because members were chosen to represent each district of Jamestown
Colonist on Roanoke Island struggled. John White returned to England for more supplies after they ran out, but war with Spain was raging. Upon arriving, the colony was deserted. What were possible reasons for this? QUESTION : ANSWER : :
(1) May have been captured by Spanish soldiers (2) May have died in battles with Indians (3) May have, while starving, moved south to live with Croatoan people and have been assimilated Colonist on Roanoke Island struggled. John White returned to England for more supplies after they ran out, but war with Spain was raging. Upon arriving, the colony was deserted. What were possible reasons for this? QUESTION : ANSWER: :
What were three reasons why England wanted to colonize North America?