Study N = 16 Research area –Social (5) –Cognitive (3) –IO (4) –Neuroscience (4) What do current graduate students wish they would have known about conducting research before coming to grad school?
5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research 1. Learn to balance coursework and assistantships –“I am a researcher with student responsibilities” Research takes precedence “Research is the currency of professional development” –Time-management Plan out your week Make “to-do” lists
2. Avoid costly mistakes –Don’t bite off more than you can chew Conduct feasible research projects –Make class projects worth your time and effort Work smarter not harder 5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research
3. Set reasonable goals and timelines –Understand the research process Always be collecting data (multiple projects at a time) “Be thinking, collecting, and writing all of the time” –Never too early to start developing a research area of focus Read research articles Pick things that interest you 5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research
4. Get support from advisor and others –Talk to your advisor about his/her expectations and your expectations Develop a social support system with other students –Ask questions! It is okay not to know how to do something 5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research
Imposter Phenomenon “The psychological experience of believing that one's accomplishments came about not through genuine ability, but as a result of – luck, having worked harder than others, or having manipulated other people's impressions” (Clance & Imes, 1978) 3 signs (Langford & Clance, 1993) –The sense of having fooled others into overestimating your ability –Attributing success to something other than intelligence or merit –Fear of being exposed as a fraud
4. Get support from advisor and others –Talk to your advisor about his/her expectations and your expectations Develop a social support system with other students –Ask questions! It is okay not to know how to do something You’re not the only one… 5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research
5. Be passionate –You’ve got to love what you do Very little return upfront for a big investment –Don’t get discouraged Or lose motivation The importance of stupidity in scientific research (Schwartz, 2008) 5 Tips for Conducting Graduate Research
Resources Books and Articles –Graduate Research: A Guide for Students in the Sciences –Schwartz, 2008 The importance of stupidity in scientific research Websites –“How to do Research” http://www.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/~silvia/research-tips/ –“How to do Graduate-Level Research” https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psyab&q=T ips+for+graduate+researchers&oq Ask graduate students at your university
Symposium Members: Dr. James Grice Dr. Roger Kirk Dr. Shelia Kennison Dr. Charles Burdsal Kansas State Graduate Students: Lora Peaden Jericho HockettJudy LaValleyJon Smyers Taylor Wadian Stuart MillerErik Garcia Chelsea Schnabelrauch Megan Strain David ArndtEmily ReinhardtMichael Stetzer Lesly Krome Kyle Van IttersumAndrew Marshall Trey Hill My Advisor: Dr. Brenda McDaniel Thank You!