“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I Thessalonians 5:16-18
14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord James 5: 14
1. Meet needs arising among Christians. (vv. 13,14) 2. God is listening and answering. (vv. 15-16)
15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. James 5: 15
In this passage it’s a different word altogether. It is the same as the word in the parable of the Good Samaritan.
16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. James 5: 16
16b The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. NKJV – The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous person avails much. James 5: 16
1. Meet needs arising among Christians. (vv. 13,14) 2. God is listening and answering. (vv. 15-16) 3. How to be Elijah types. (vv. 17- 18)
17 Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18 Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. James 5: 17-18
C.H. Spurgeon once said, "Prayer pulls the rope down below and the great bell rings above in the ears of God. Some scarcely stir the bell, for they pray so languidly; others give only an occasional jerk at the rope
C.H. Spurgeon once said, But he who communicates with heaven is the man who grasps the rope boldly and pulls continuously with all his might."
1. Meet needs arising among Christians. (vv. 13,14) 2. God is listening and answering. (vv. 15-16) 3. How to be Elijah types. (vv. 17- 18) 4. Help a sinning brother. (vv. 19- 20)
19 My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, 20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins. James 5: 19 (NIV)
“Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him.” Romans 4:7-8
Application: My prayer and care times this week will include:
1. I must ask.. James 4;2 "You do not have because you do not ask."
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God, and the peace of God that passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus Philippians 4:6–7 (NKJV)
1. I must ask.. James 4;2 "You do not have because you do not ask.“ 2. Have the right motive.
3 "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with the wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." James 4: 3 (NIV)
1. I must ask.. James 4;2 "You do not have because you do not ask.“ 2. Have the right motive. 3. Clean life. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16
David said, "If I hide [regard, conceal] iniquity [sin] in my heart then the Lord will not hear." Psalm 66:18
1. I must ask.. James 4;2 "You do not have because you do not ask." 2. Have the right motive. 3. Clean life. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16 4. Ask in faith. Expect an answer. James 1:6 "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt..."
“who in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear,” Hebrew 4:7 NKJV