THE TOWN SQUARE The Old Market with an area of over 1.3 hectares is the largest one in the region. It was re-made in the 90s. Today it is a traditional meeting place for the people of Tarnobrzeg, especially the young ones. It is commonly called the Red Square (thanks to red tiles used to pave it) or Bartosz Głowacki square (thanks to his monument).
„ Leliwa, which is an arched moon with a yellow star in the middle of the sky – blue background ”. Those words were used by Jan Długosz to describe the ancestor of today’s emblem. The first mentions about the emblem reach the12th century. There were three flags with the Leliwa sign in the Battle of Grunwald in 1410. After World War II the district of Tarnobrzeg was patterned to Leliwa. On 9th January 1991 the Town Council decided that the image of a yellow half moon with the six-armed star on the blue background will be the emblem of the town. From 2008 the principle of using the emblem, the flag and the bugle are defined by a special resolution of the Town Council.
There are over 2500 students of Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa (national vocational college) with the name of prof. Stanisław Tarnowski in Tarnobrzeg. The town gained the vibrant life and the air of an academic spot, thanks to their activity.
Tarnobrzeg Lake, created in place of the sulphur mine, offers perfect conditions to practise water sports – sailing, windsurfing and others. The lake has an area of almost 500 hectares and is 40 meters deep.
There are only two old churches in Tarnobrzeg. But they have a very long and interesting history… The first of them is in Miechocin (the craddle of Tarnobrzeg). This part is very old and we suppose that it has nearly 800 years. 700 years ago Miechocin Academy prepared to study at Jagiellonian University in Krakow. The second church is in the centre of Tarnobrzeg, near the main town square. The church together with the monastery of Dominicans have been present in Tarnobrzeg for the past 400 years.
The parish with the name of St. Mary Magdalene has existed in Tarnobrzeg from nearly 1185. The first mentions about the gothic church are from 16th century. Before, there was only a wooden chapel. It is possible that its founder was king Casimir the Great himself. The building had changed over the centuries until it reached its present size. Inside there is a wonderful crucifix with the figure of dying Christ. According to the legend, this crucifix drifted to Miechocin on the Vistula river during a great flood in the Middle Ages.
A Dominican monastery lies close to the town square. The first church (which was made of wood and founded by Tarnowski family) was built here in the middle of 17th century. It burned down in the great fire, just like most buildings in town. Another one (this time made of stone) was founded by Tarnowski at the beginning of 18th century. After another town fire, the church was rebuilt and enlarged. Moreover, a high tower was added. This baroque Dominican Cloister hosts the painting of Holy Mary of Dzikow, to whom the inhabitants and pilgrims have prayed for protection.
This town council is our mayor’s office. This is the building of an old gymnasium. In a nearby square you can find a a modern fountain with the monument dedicated to the memory of Juliusz Tarnowski, a hero of the 1863 Uprising.
Our school is the oldest school in Tarnobrzeg. It all began in 1863, when the Countess Gabriela Tarnowska -founded an elementary school (the first building is the right part of our school). I have one more presentation about the history of our school.