Presentation on theme: "This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title."— Presentation transcript:
This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering. This title is for centering.
From Verdi's Rigoletto
Beautiful daughter of love, I am a slave of your charms. With one word alone you can console my suffering.
Come and feel the quick beating of my heart. With one word alone you can console my suffering.
- I laugh heartily, for these tales cost little. - (To speak thus of love!)
- Believe me, I can appreciate the worth of your game. - (That villain spoke of love to me like that!)
- Quiet! Weeping is useless. - Unhappy heart, do not burst! - I've heard such jokes before, handsome sir.
Only you can console my suffering!
- Beautiful daughter of love, I am a slave of your charms. - I laugh, sir. - Now you know he lied. - My poor heart!
- Only you can console my suffering… - Hush and let me avenge you. It will be swift and deadly!
- I know how I will strike him down. - I laugh, sir… - My betrayed heart! - Come and listen to my heart…
Listen! Go home.. Take gold, a horse, and some men's clothing I laid out for you. Go to Verona. I'll be there tomorrow.
- Come there now. - Impossible. - I'm trembling! - Go!
Twenty scudi you said? Here are ten. The rest you'll get after. He will stay here?
- I will return at midnight. - It's not necessary. I can throw him in the river myself.
- No, I want to do it myself. - So be it. His name?
Do you want to know mine as well? He is Crime, I am Punishment.
A storm approaches! The night will be dark!
- Maddalena! - Wait… my brother is coming…
- What does that matter? - It's thundering!
- And it will rain soon. - Even better! Sleep in the stable, in hell, wherever you want.
- Oh, thanks! - No, leave. - With such weather? - It's twenty scudi !
I'm happy to offer you a room. If you'd like to see it, let's go.
Very well, I'm coming with you quickly. Let's see it.
Poor youth! So handsome!
God, what a night!
- One sleeps in the open air? Good, good! Good night. - Sir, may God keep you!
Let's sleep briefly. I'm tired…
Woman is fickle, like a feather in the wind, she changes her words… and her thoughts…
- That young man is lovable indeed. - Oh yes, he brings us twenty scudi.
- Only twenty? That's little. He's worth more. - Bring me down his sword, if he's asleep.
I cannot reason any longer! Love draws me onward! Forgive me, father.
What a horrible night! What will happen?
- Brother? - (Who is talking?) - To the devil with…
He looks like Apollo. I love him, and he loves me. Let him rest… let's not kill him!
- (Heaven!) - Mend that sack! - Why?
Because once I've cut his throat, I must put your Apollo inside it and throw it in the river.
(I see Hell here!)
- I'll bet I can get you the money and still keep him alive. - I think that's difficult.
Listen… I'll reveal an easy little plan.
You already have money from the hunchback. You're meeting him later. Just kill him and take the rest!
Kill the hunchback?! What the devil did you say? I'm perhaps a thief? A bandit? He paid me, I'll be true to him.
- Have mercy on him. - He must die. - I'll make him flee. - (Good maiden!)
- We'll lose the money. - True. - Let it be. - We must save him.
- If someone comes before midnight, he will die instead. - It's dark and stormy, no one will come at this hour!
What a temptation! To die for the ungrateful one! To die... And my father!... Oh heaven! Mercy!
- If someone comes by midnight… - It's too late, no one will come… - Oh heaven, mercy!
- There is half an hour still. - Wait, brother! - What! Such a woman weeps and I will not give him aid!
If he has refused my love, I want to give up my life for his.
- Did someone knock? - It was the wind.
- Someone is knocking! - That's strange… Who is it?
- Have pity on a beggar, grant him shelter for the night… - May that night be a long one. - Wait a moment!
- Hurry, finish the job! I long to save one life with another! - Fine, I'm ready. Open it. I'm anxious to save the money.
So young I am to be so close to death! Heaven, I beg forgiveness for these wicked ones! And for me!
- Heaven forgive them, and forgive me! - Finish the job! - I'm ready, open the door!