Presentation on theme: "Sungai Ara Gospel Hall Divine and Appointed Headship in Biblical Perspective – The Rights, Roles and Responsibilities of Divine Persons, & of Men and."— Presentation transcript:
1Sungai Ara Gospel Hall Divine and Appointed Headship in Biblical Perspective – The Rights, Roles and Responsibilities of Divine Persons, & of Men and Women in Creation, in the Home and in the Church. By K. C. UngI Cor. 11: KJV: But I would have you know, that the Head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the Head of Christ is God.NIV: Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the Head of Christ is God.
2A. The "Rights" ("Equality") of Divine Persons. Recapitulation: Study No. 1 I. Headship in the Divine Trinity. I Cor. 11:3A. The "Rights" ("Equality") of Divine Persons.1. The Father, the Son and the Spirit is God.2. The Father and the Son are One.3. The Son is equal with God, the Father.4. All are baptized in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.B. The Roles of Divine Persons.The Father sent the Son and the Spirit;The Son sent the Spiritand the Spirit does not speak of Himself.The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.Thus, the Father is the First Person of the Godhead; the Son, the Second Person, and the Spirit, the Third..
3II. THE Roles and responsibilities in the DIVINE Headship A. The Headship of God or God is the Head of Christ I Cor. 11:3c cf. 15:28The Rights: Phil. 2:5, 6, NIV Christ Jesus, Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped.The Roles: Phil. 2:7, 8, NIVBut made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.And being found…as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!Then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him that put all things under Him, that God may be all in all Cf. I Cor. 15:28
4B. The Headship of Christ or Christ is the Head of Man. I Cor. 11:3a The Rights: To those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God –Jn. 1:12, NIVIf children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ – Rom. 8:17For which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren – Heb. 2:17The Roles: Christ is Head, Master and Lord Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. Jn. 13:13Cf. And why call ye Me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? cf. Lk. 6:46
5B. The Headship of Man or Man is the Head of the Woman. I Cor. 11:3b Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. Gen. 3:20Forgiven and moving Forward. Roles Re-established in the Home Order Gen. 3:B. The Headship of Man or Man is the Head of the Woman. I Cor. 11:3bBefore the Fall In Gen. 1:26-28 – Man and Woman EqualIn Gen. 2:18-25 – Man as Head, Woman as HelpDuring the Fall Gen. 3:1-15 – Man and Woman IrresponsibleAfter the Fall Gen. 3:16-24 – Man and Woman made Responsible.1. The Rights of Believers in Redemption Order – all are equal. Gal. 3:26-28neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.2. The Role of Man's Headship in Creation Order Heb. 2:5-8Thou madest him a little lower than the angels… Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet.
6Study 2 – the head of the woman is the man. I Cor. 11:3b 3 Study 2 – the head of the woman is the man. I Cor. 11:3b 3. The Role of Man's Headship in Home Order. Eph. 5:22-33a. As Christ is the Head of the Church, so the Husband is the Head of the wife. Eph. 1:22; 5:23 cf. Col. 1:18i. This Role is to be Reflected in the husband’s Relationship with his wife – He is Head of the Home.ii. And his Responsibility is to Love her and to Lead – to the extent ofSacrifice as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it. 5:25, 29Self-love love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 5:28, 33Showing esteem - Honouring his wife, as unto the weaker vessel I Pet. 3:7 ct. Eph. 5: He is to Nourish and Cherish her. 5:29The Standard : even as the Lord the church. 5:29
73. The Role of Man's Headship in Home Order. Eph. 5:22-33 [a. As Christ is the Head of the Church, so the Husband is the Head of the wife. Eph. 1:22; 5:23 cf. Col. 1:18]b. As the Church is Subject to Christ, so is the Wife to her Husband. Eph. 5:24i. This Role is to be Reflected in her Relationship with her husband – She is Subordinate and she Submits.ii. And her Responsibility is to Submit in the fear of God and in :22 cf. 21Her Recognition of her Lord-given Role - as unto the Lord... in everything :22, 24In Respecting his Leadership – wife must respect her husband. 5:33, NIV
83. The Role of Man's Headship in Home Order. Eph. 5:22-33 c. As Christ is an Example of Submission Himself, for "the Lord's sake" I Pet.2:21; 2: Christians are to be subject to God's ordained authorities.-i. The Meaning of Submission for all. (hupotasso fr. hupoi = under; tasso = arrange; a military term = to rank under) I Pet.Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake :13Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear. 2:18In the same manner, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands :1The holy women.....being in subjection unto their own husbands :5Angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto Him (Christ) :22In like manner, ye younger submit yourselves unto the elder :5
9What Submission does not mean. It does not mean...... i. The Meaning of Submission - hupotasso ii. The Manner of Submission for the Wife. I Pet. 3:1-6What Submission does not mean It does not mean......Putting the husband in the place of Christ. cf. I Pet. 2:13, 21Giving up independent thought – "Ye wives..." 3:1Stopping to influence her husband – "be won by.... the wives." :1Giving in to every demand of her husband – "your chaste conduct" :2 (obey, except when it would be sin to obey)Being of lesser intelligence or competence – she has spiritual insight, being a believer.Being fearful or timid – “do what is good and never let fears alarm you.” 3:6, NRSVBeing inconsistent with equality in Christ – "heirs together" :7Mutual or totally interchangeable submission – "Submit" (hupotasso) only of wife :1, 5, 6
10i. The Meaning of Submission - hupotasso ii i. The Meaning of Submission - hupotasso ii. The Manner of Submission for the Wife. I Pet. 3:1-6Iii. The Model of Submission in Sarah and the holy women. I Pet. 3:5, 6They were submissive to their own husbands. 3:5They "adorned" themselves with the inner man of the heart. 3:5 cf. vv. 3, 4Sarah obeyed and respected Abraham. 3:6Sarah did what was right and was not afraid. 3:6The model remains for all "daughters" of Abraham :6What Submission does mean.It is an inner quality of gentleness that affirms the husband's leadership :4It involves obedience like Sarah's "even as Sarah obeyed" 3:6
11iv. The Meaning of Leadership. I Pet. 3:7. What Leadership does not mean. It does not mean.....Harsh or domineering use of authority – "giving honour…. weaker vessel" 3:7Equal sharing of leadership No command for husbands to submit. ct. 3:1Lesser importance of a wife – "as being joint heirs together" 3:7Always giving in to the wife's wishes –ct. Abraham and Sarah Gen. 16:2, 5What Leadership does mean.It is "dwell (_ing together) ...according to knowledge (understanding)" 3:7It is giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel. 3:7It is giving honour unto the "gunaikeio" = the feminine one. (only occ. in N.T.) 3:7
124. The Role of Man's Headship in Church Order. I Cor. 11-14 a. The Church is the Extension of the Home. Cf. Eph. 5:24, 25The Context of I Cor. 11 is not Extended to the Home:i. In the Home, the Father rules; I Tim. 3:4In the Church, the Elder Rules I Tim. 3:4, 5ii. In the Home, the Husband is Head of the Wife. Eph. 5:23, 24 In the Universal Church, Christ is Head of the Church. Eph. 5:23, 24 In the Local Church, Man is Head of the Woman. I Cor. 11:3 iii. In the Home, Children Obey Parents. Eph. 6:1 In the Church, members "Obey them that have the rule over you." Heb. 13:17
134. The Role of Man's Headship in Church Order. I Cor. 11-14 [a. The Church is the Extension of the Home. Cf. Eph. 5:24, 25]b. The "Church" is the Exposition of I Cor. Chs7 occurrences of "Come together (in the church )" 11:17, 18, 20, 33, 34; 14:23, 2610 occurrences of "church/churches" :16, 22; 14:4, 5, 19, 23, 28, 33, 34, 35Thus: I Cor. 11:3 reads: KJV: I would have you know, that the Head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the Head of Christ is God.And Not: NRSV: I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man (aner), and the husband (aner) is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ.
14c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. As the Church is Subject to Christ, so is the Woman to the Man in the Church. I Cor. 11:2-16In Role-playing in the church:In the Symbol of a head-covering. 11: 5, 6, 10, 13, 15In the Responsibility of Learning in Silence and not Leading or Teaching : cf. I Tim. 2:11-15i. The Woman's Relationship with the Man in a Church Gathering.In Representing the Church's Submission to the Lord. I Cor. 11:3,7 cf. Eph. 5:24or Fallen Man ("the woman is the glory of the man") I Cor. 11:7c, 15 ct. 1:29; 11:7b
15c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. iii. The Reason for this Chosen Representation by the Man and the Woman – the Creation Order. I Cor. 11The Man was not of the Woman, but the Woman of the Man I Cor. 11:8 cf. Gen. 2:22The Man was not created for the Woman, but the Woman for the Man. I Cor. 11:9 cf. Gen. 2:18The Woman is of the Man, and the Man is by the Woman. I Cor. 11:12i. The Woman's Relationship with the Man in a Church Gathering.ii The Man's Relationship with the Woman in a Church Gathering.In Representing Christ's Headship over the Church. I Cor. 11:3, 7In Role-playing in the church: In the Symbol of the Uncovering of the Head :4, 7, 14In the Responsibility of Leading and Teaching. I Tim. 2:12-15
16c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. iv c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. iv. The Reflection of the Designated Order A Refusal to Observe is regarded as...For the Man – a Dishonour to his Head and a Shame to himself. vv. 4, 14For the Woman –a Dishonour to her Head and a Shame to herself. vv. 5, 6- Similar to being Shorn or Shaven v. 6 cf. v ct v.7; 1:29
17c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. iv c. The Conduct that is to be Exemplified in the Church Gathering. iv. To Reflect the Designated Orderv. To Reflect Decency and Order. I Cor.14:40For the Man: I Cor. 11:7Ought not to cover his head.Orderly Participation and Preaching. I Cor. 14:26-33Outward Public Prayer and Teaching. I Tim. 2:8, 12For the Woman:Symbolic Subordination. I Cor. 11:10Silent Submission in Learning I Cor. 14:34, 35; I Tim. 2:11-14vi. To Reflect our Declaration of Obedience …To the Custom of All Churches. I Cor. 11:16; 14:33b cf. 1:2To the Commandments of the Lord I Cor. 14:36-38 cf. 11:2, 23Not a Case for Contention by any person I Cor. 11:16; 14:38
183) Symbolic Headship is to Attend Spiritual Headship Recapitulation ) Spiritual Headship is Attested to: a) With Physical Order. Cf. I Cor. 14:33, 40 b) With Personal Obedience. Rom. 13:1-3 cf. Heb. 5:8; Phil. 2:8 2) Submission to Headship is Acknowledged a) By Fulfilling God's Ascribed Relationships. b) By Functioning in God's Appointed Roles.3) Symbolic Headship is to Attend Spiritual Headshipa) Cf. The Baptism: The Symbol of Identification with Christ. Rom. 6:3-6b) Cf. The Bread: The Symbol of Representation.i) For the Literal Body of Christ. I Cor. 11:23, 24ii) For the Mystical Body of Christ. I Cor. 10:16c) Cf. The Cup: The Symbol of the Blood of Christ. I Cor. 11:25Hence, the Sign of Headship is the AppointedUncovering of the Representative Head's head. I Cor. 11:7, 14And the Sign of Submission is the AppointedCovering of the Subordinate's Head. I Cor. 11:6, 10
19Conclusion: CHRIST, THE HEAD OVER ALL THINGS. I Cor. 15:23-28 He must be Head over ALL His Church :23; 14:40 (Note: "the order")2) He must be Head over ALL ruleALL authority and power 15:243) He must be Head over ALL His enemies. 15:25, 264) He must be Head over ALL things. 15:275) He must subject Himself to God as Head Who put ALL THINGS under Him,THAT GOD MAY BE ALL IN ALL I Cor. 15:28