Presentation on theme: "Unit 15 Lesson 3 By Anqing Foreign Language School Sun Jin."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 15 Lesson 3 By Anqing Foreign Language School Sun Jin
Work in pairs, talking about the teacher you like best. The questions will help you. 1.Which of your teachers you have ever had impressed you most? 2. What subject does he/she teach? 3.What was your first impression of the teacher? 4.What was your formal attitude towards the subject? 5. What changes took place with the help of the teacher? 6.In what way did the teacher help you?
My portrait of a good teacher is one with patience and imagination. A good teacher is organized and is always ready for his or her students. A good teacher is always fair and respects students. A good teacher is someone who's never late for school. She's nice to her kids. Most important, she must love her student.
Pair work Read the first part and answer the following questions. 1.What kind of pupil was Graham?What kind of pupil was Graham? 2.What kind of teacher was Mr. Jenkins in Graham’s eyes?What kind of teacher was Mr. Jenkins in Graham’s eyes? 3.How did the teacher help him?How did the teacher help him? 4. Is the teacher still a great help to Graham? How?Is the teacher still a great help to Graham? How?
Read the first part again to conclude what kind of teacher he was. Teacher ’s name SubjectWay to teachHow to help students Portrait Brian Jenkins Science Explain things with lots of practical examples and simplified things that seemed difficult Make students feel that they could do things. A wonderful teacher who is patient and makes everything interesting.
Pair work Read the second part and answer the following questions. 1.How did Mr. Jenkins feel about Graham at first?? 2.What changes happened to him?? 3.What’s the impression of Graham to Mr.Jenkins now?? 4.What are the problems with teaching now?? 5.Why does Mr.Jenkins love teaching??
Read the second passage about a pupil and see what kind of pupil Graham was in Mr. Jenkins’ eyes. Student’s name Used to be ChangesDifficulties in teaching now Impression of the teacher Brian Jenkins Lazy, unwilling to study and difficult. Pay attention to what he taught. Become interested in a subject for the first time. Lack of money and the class is too big to do experiments. He was very bright and should have done much better in all his other subjects. And the teacher is proud of him.
Test your memory: Complete the following according to the passage from memory. Graham Lawrence,29,science author who gives presentations on TV, was ______ and famous for his bad ________when he was in school. He showed no _____ in all the subjects he learned, especially in maths. But when he was 15 and went into Mr. Jenkin’s class, he really became interested in science for the first time. Gradually he got _____, Graham ____ confidence in himself and Mr. Jenkins made him feel that he should do things. difficult behaviour interest changedlacked
Test your memory: Complete the following according to the passage from memory. Graham was ______for his teacher and Mr. Jenkins was ____ of Graham, he wished he was as successful with all his students as he was with Graham. He appealed that th government should have put more money towards ______ ______ ______.As is known to all, the thing about being a teacher is that you have _____ to children’s mind when they are open and _____ to learn. grateful proud science education access eager
To be a journalist or a TV presenter, try to interview Mr. Jenkins and Graham. You can make use of the content of text. You also can exert your imagination. Activity
1. Find out all the sentences which include “wish” in the text. 2. Find out each sentence refers to what time. (present, past or future) 3. Conclude the ways of using “wish”.
Grammar Wish and should have Find sentences in the text and do with them like the modal. WishRegret I wish my French teacher had been the same. I shouldn't’t have been so rebellious. She wishes I had chosen a less stressful career. He should have done better in all of his other subjects. My French teacher should have been the same I wish I hadn’t been so rebellious.
Assignment Interview your favorite teacher. Ask about his/her feeling of his/her students and attitude towards teaching. Write about your favorite teacher according to the interview and your impression of him/her. Display your work on the bulletin board.
1.What kind of pupil was Graham? He was a bit lazy, rebellious, not cooperative, lacked confidence, and was not good at most school subjects.
The only thing I can remember from school maths is that the angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees! add up 把... 加起来 eg1.Add up 3, 4 and 5 and you'll get 12. add up to 1. 总计达 这些帐单加起来正好一百元。 The bills add up to exactly $ 意味着 His evidence adds up to this: he didn't murder the man.
2. What kind of teacher was Mr. Jenkins in Graham’s eyes? To Graham, Mr. Jenkins was a wonderful teacher who could make everything interesting. He used to explain things with lots of practical examples and simplified things that seemed difficult.
I remember that he let me pour some powder into the rocket and then another student lit a flame to set it off. set about (doing ) 开始（着手）做某事 set out (to do) 出发，开始做某事 set aside 置于一边，存款 set up 建立 set free 释放 She ﹍ ﹍ writing the report after breakfast and handed it in at noon. A.set about B. set down C. set out D. set off A
3. How did the teacher help him? The teacher first made him become interested in his lessons, and then encouraged him to be confident in learning.
4. Is the teacher still a great help to Graham? How? Yes. Graham follows Mr. Jenkins in his work, and sometimes he wishes to have the teacher’s advice.
2. What changes happened to him? He took interest in his lessons, became confident, diligent and good at his lessons.
Reading Comprehension 1.Before Mr. Jenkins, Graham thought science ＿＿＿＿. A.interesting and challenging B.excellent C.exciting and easy D.boring and difficult D
2.The first day Graham walked into Mr. Jenkins’ class, he was dragging his school Bag behind him, it showed that he was ＿＿＿＿. A. a bit lazy and wasn’t interested in lessons B. intelligent and interested in lessons C. very tired D. ill A
3. Mr. Jenkins thought what he did as teacher was ＿＿＿＿. A. a waste of time B. a waste of money C. worthwhile D. no use C
4. In the opinion of Mr. Jenkins, science education ＿＿＿＿. A. is satisfying B. has a lot of problem and needs a lot of money C. Is far from satisfaction D. B and C D
1.How did Mr. Jenkins feel about Graham at first? He was a bit “difficult”. Do you know what “difficult” here refers to? He was lazy, unwilling to study, not cooperative and rebellious.
Once I caught him and a friend seeing who could spit the furthest off the school stage.
3. What’s the impression of Graham to Mr.Jenkins now? Graham is successful and he is proud of having such a student. What does “successful” here refer to? It refers to his science books and his work as a TV presenter.
4. What are the problems with teaching now? There are discipline problems and lack of money.
5. Why does Mr.Jenkins love teaching? It’s a great feeling when he knows he has taught something well and it also makes him proud when he sees his pupils doing well. He feels that he has achieved something.
be worthwhile to do\ doing sth. be worth doing sth. be worthy of sth.\ to be done\ of being done “ 做某事是值得的 ” 几种表示方法 1.It’s well ＿ ＿ ＿ ＿ making the effort to learn how to drive. 2.We had a long wait, but it was ＿ ＿ ＿ ＿ because we got the tickets. 3. Their achievements are ＿ ＿ ＿ ＿ of the highest praise. 4. The museum is ＿ ＿ ＿ ＿ to be visited. worth worthwhile worthy