Presentation on theme: "Plate Tectonics WS Eric Angat. Alfred Wegener proposed the Continental drift theory. He stated that continents were moving but could he not explain what."— Presentation transcript:
Alfred Wegener proposed the Continental drift theory. He stated that continents were moving but could he not explain what makes them move. No one believed him. Lauresia Gondwanaland Pangaea 1. Who is Alfred Wegener?
Lauresia Gondwanaland Pangaea JurassicCretaceous Present day 2. What happened to the supercontinent Pangaea? Seven continents Lauresia became North America, Europe, and Asia
3. How did Alfred Wegener use FOSSILS to explain the Continental Drift theory? Fossil A Fossil B http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_c ontinents_that_made_up_laurasia#slide=2 How did the animals cross lands if the lands were not connected?
4. How did Alfred Wegener use the CONTINENTS to explain the Continental Drift theory? The continents fit together like a puzzle. Climate in this region was similar.
5. How did Alfred Wegener use ROCKS to explain the Continental Drift theory? The Appalachian mountains to the shores were used to be part of Africa. And the rocks matched! United States Africa Appalachian Mountain
6. What causes the continents to move? Continents move because of the convection current in the mantle. Earth’s core convection
These circular currents in the asthenosphere are called convection currents. Hot magma goes up and cooler magma goes down. 7. What is convection current?
8. What are the different types of plate boundaries? Rift valley in Africa Sea floor spreading in the Atlantic ocean Volcanic activities Trench, mountain ranges, volcanic activities, subduction zones San Andreas fault, no volcanic activity Horizontal Shear divergent convergent Transform
This image shows San Andreas Lake and Crystal Springs reservoir from the air, looking SouthEast from HERE. The highway paralleling the lakes to the left is Interstate 280, ``the most beautiful urban highway in the United States''. (And it is indeed very scenic.) from HERE. Transform or Shear boundary 9. What type of boundary is the San Andreas fault?
16.What type of landform is created when two continental plates collide? A.volcano B.folded mountain C.trench D.mid-ocean ridge
17. Which landform is not formed from a convergent boundary? A.volcano B.folded mountain C.trench D.mid-ocean ridge
18. The mid-ocean ridge in the Atlantic ocean is what type of plate boundary? A.convergent B.Divergent C.horizontal shear D.transform
19. When earthquakes happen, what is the location directly above the focus? A.Epicenter B.fault
Ridge push Rocks are melted and recycled into new rocks. convection Ridge push Rocks are melted and recycled into new rocks. Ridge
20. Lithospheric ridge push causes plates to undergo___. A.Subduction and recycled into new rocks. B.Division of plates.
21. What type of plate boundary causes the earthquakes in California? A.Transform boundary or shear stress B. divergent boundary or rift valley.
Matching type: What type of plate boundary is responsible for the following landforms. convergent boundary divergent boundary Transform or Sliding boundary _______22. Island arc _______23. Volcanic mountain range _______24. Marianas trench _______25. Mountain range _______26. Mid ocean ridge _______27. San Andreas fault convergent divergent transform