Presentation on theme: "Geography Quiz. Are you able to name the geographical features (natural and unnatural) of the earth? A series of questions will be presented. In most cases,"— Presentation transcript:
Geography Quiz. Are you able to name the geographical features (natural and unnatural) of the earth? A series of questions will be presented. In most cases, the question will appear followed several seconds later by some multiple choice answers. Try to answer before the multiple choices appear. Several seconds later, the answer will be shown. Sit back, enjoy, find out how much you know about our world and learn.
1.What is longest river on earth? Nile, Africa 6,825 km Amazon, South America 6,437 km Chang Jiang (Yangtze), Asia 6,380 km Mississippi/Missouri, North America 5,971 km Yenisey-Angara, Asia 5,536 km Huang (Yellow), Asia 5,464 km Ob-Irtysh, Asia 5,410 km Amur, Asia 4,416 km Lena, Asia 4,400 km Congo, Africa 4,370 km Mackenzie-Peace, North America 4,241 km Mekong, Asia 4,184 km Niger, Africa 4,171 km a.Congo b.Nile c.Mississippi/Missouri d.Amazon e.Yangtze
2. By volume of discharge, which is the world’s largest river? a.Congo b.Nile c.Mississippi/Missouri d.Amazon e.Yangtze # River m 3 /sec 1 Amazon 209,000 2 Congo 41,200 3 Ganges 38,129 6 Yangtze 30,166 13 Ms/Mo 16,792 54 Nile 2,830
3. Name the countries with yellow rectangles. a.= b.= c.= d.= a.Iran b.Iraq c. Syria d. Afghanistan a. b. c. d.
4. Locate Ukraine and Germany (give #’s) on the map. Ukraine = 41, Germany = 16
6.Give the numbers for Peru, Argentina and Guatemala. 16, 19 and 2
7.Give the numbers of Pakistan and South Korea. 23 and 4
8. Give the numbers for Oregon, Nebraska and Georgia. 2 15 26
9. What is the world’s largest continent? a.Africa b.North America c.Asia d.Antarctica e.None of the above
10. Can you name the geological feature(s) that separate(s) Europe from Asia? f. The boundary follows the watershed of the Ural Mountains in the North from the Arctic Ocean to the source of the Ural River, then follows that river to the Caspian Sea. The border then follows the watershed of the Caucasus Mountains from the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea. In the south, the boundary ends in Turkey at the Dardanelles and Bosporus. a.Ural Mts. b. Ural River c. Caspian Sea d. Caucasus Mts. e. Dardanelles f. All of the preceding
11. What is the largest ocean by area on earth? PacificPacific 155,557,000 sq km AtlanticAtlantic 76,762,000 sq km IndianIndian 68,556,000 sq km SouthernSouthern 20,327,000 sq km ArcticArctic 14,056,000 sq km a.Arctic b.Southern c.Indian d.Atlantic e.Pacific
12. What is the largest subtropical desert on earth? (Subtropical) Sahara, North Africa 3,320,000 sq. miles Arabian, Middle East 900,000 sq. miles Kalahari, Southern Africa 360,000 sq. miles Great Victoria, Australia 250,000 sq. miles Syrian, Syria, Jordan, Iraq 200,000 sq. miles Chihuahuan, Mexico, U.S. 175,000 sq. miles Great Sandy, Australia 150,000 sq. miles Sonoran, Mexico, U,S, 120,000 sq. miles Thar, India, Pakistan 77,000 sq. miles Gibson, Australia 60,000 sq. miles Simpson, Australia 56,000 sq. miles Mohave, S,W, USA 25,000 sq. miles (Cool Coastal) Atacama, Chile SA 54,000 sq. miles (Cold Winter) Gobi, China, Mongolia 500,000 sq. miles a.Mohave b.Sahara c.Kalahari d.Arabian
13. What is the highest waterfall on earth? Waterfall Location Ft. Meters Angel Venezuela 3,212 979 Tugela South Africa 3,110 947 Utigord Norway 2,625 800 Monge Norway 2,540 774 Gocta Cataract Peru 2,532 771 Mutarazi Zimbabwe 2,449 762 Yosemite U.S. (CA) 2,425 739 a.Angel b.Yosemite c.Victoria d.Iguazu e.Niagara
Waterfall Country Flow rate height width (m 3 /sec) (m) (m) Niagara U.S., Can. 2407 51 1203 Iguazu Argentina, 1746 82 2700 Brazil Victoria Zimbabwe, 1088 108 1708 Zambia Dettifoss Iceland 991 96 850 14.What is the largest volume waterfall not counting submerged or falls with less than a 25 meter height?
15. What is the largest by area enclosed inland body of water on Earth? Caspian Sea, Asia-Europe 371,000 sq km Superior, North America 82,100 sq km Victoria, Africa 69,500 sq km Huron, North America 59,600 sq km Michigan, North America 57,800 sq km Tanganyika, Africa 32,900 sq km Baikal, Asia 31,500 sq km a.Caspian Sea b.Lake Superior c.Lake Michigan d.Lake Baikal Lake Baikal in Russia is the deepest at 1642 meters
16. What is the tallest mountain (above sea level) on earth? Mount Everest 29,035 ft (8,850 m) Nepal/China Qogir (K2) 28,250 ft (8,611 m) Pakistan Kangchenjunga 28,169 ft (8,586 m) Nepal Lhotse 27,920 ft (8,501 m) Nepal Makalu I 27,765 ft (8,462 m) Nepal a.Qogir (K2) b.Mt. Everest c.Mt. Whitney d.Mt. McKinley e.Aconcagua f.Killimanjaro
17. What is the tallest mountain (above sea level) in North America? Mountain Location Height (m) (ft.) McKinley Alaska 6,194 20,320 Logan Canada 5,959 19,545 Orizaba Mexico 5,636 18,491 St. Elias Alaska, 5,489 18,008 Canada Popocatepetl Mexico 5,426 17,802 a.Mt. Whitney b.Mt. Logan c.Mt. Elbert d.Mt. McKinley
18. What is the most populated U.S. city (within city limits)? (10) LARGEST USA CITIES 1 New York City, NY 8.09 million 2. Los Angeles, CA 3.8 million 3. Chicago, IL 3.1 million 4. Houston, TX 2.78 million 5. Philadelphia, PA 1.62 million 6. Phoenix, AZ 1.54 million 7. San Antonio, TX 1.5 million 8. San Diego, CA 1.4 million 9. Dallas, TX 1.32 million 10. Detroit, MI 1 million a.L.A. b.Phil. c.Chi. d.N.Y.
19. What is the largest populated city in the world (within city limits)? a. Mexico City b. New York c. Shanghai RankCityPopulation (Millions) 1Shanghai17.8 2Istanbul13.9 3Karachi13.0 4Mumbai12.5 5Moscow12.0 6Manilla12.0 7Sao Paulo11.8 8Beijing11.7 9Tiajin11.1 10Guangzhou11.1 11Delhi11.0 12Seoul10.4 13Shenzhen10.4 14Jakarta10.2 RankCityPopulation (millions) 15Tokyo 9.0 16Mexico City 8.9 17Kinshasa 8.8 18Bangalore 8.4 19New York 8.3 20London 8.3 d.Bejing e.Tokyo f.Sao Paulo
20. What is the most populated metropolitan area on earth? a.Tokyo b.New York c.Mexico City d.Sao Paulo e.Mumbai 12. Beijing, China (17,311,000) 13. Osaka, Japan (17,011,000 14. Mumbai (Bombay), India (16,910,000) 15. Guangzhou, China (16,837,000) 16. Moscow, Russia (15,512,000) 17. Los Angeles, USA (14,900,000) 18. Calcutta, India (14,374,000) 19. Dhaka, Bangladesh(14,000,000) 20. Buenos Aires, Argentina (13,639,000) 21. Istanbul, Turkey (13,576,000)
21. What is the longest canal in the world? Rank Name Length Country Locks 1 Grand Canal 1,776 Km China 24 2 Qaraqum Canal 1,375 Km Russia 3 Saimaa Canal 814 Km Russia 8 4 Eurasia Canal 700 Km Russia 13 5 Manych Ship Canal 700 km Russia 6 6 Erie canal 584 km USA 36 7 Grand Union Canal 461 Km England 236 8 Nara Canal 364 km Pakistan 9 Rhone–Rhine Canal 349 km France 10 Marne–Rhine Canal 313 Km France 154 11 Leeds, Liverpool Canal 204 Km England 91 12 Suez Canal 193.5 Km Egypt 0 13 Gota Canal 190 Km Sweden (Panama Canal 77 Km Panama 6) a.Panama b.Suez c.Grand d.Erie
Burj Khalifa (Arabic: برج خليفة, "Khalifa tower"), known as Burj Dubai prior to its inauguration, is a skyscraper in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and is the tallest man-made structure in the world, at 829.8 m (2,722 ft). 22. What is the tallest building in the world? See next slide for more info! a.Empire State b. Willis c. Taipei 101 d. Burl Khalifa
World’s tallest 10 buildings but the Kingdom Tower scheduled for completion in 2018 in Jeddah will be 1000 meters and a mile high tower for 2025 has been discussed.
23. By volume of water contained, what is the world’s largest dam? Volume (thousands) DamLocationcu mcu ydsYear Three GorgesChina39,300,00051,402,459UC08 Syncrude TailingsCanada540,000706,320UC ChapetónArgentina296,200387,410UC PatiArgentina238,180274,026UC New Cornelia Tailings United States209,500274,0261973 TarbelaPakistan121,720159,2101976 KambaratinskKyrgyzstan112,200146,758UC Fort PeckMontana96,049125,6281940 Lower UsumaNigeria93,000121,6441990 CipasangIndonesia90,000117,720UC a.Hoover b.Three Gorges c.Shasta d.Tarbela e.Fort Peck
24.Which landmark is the farthest south? a.Cape of Good Hope, Africa b.Cape Horn, S.A. c.Southern tip of Australia d.Southern tip of New Zealand
25.What percent of the earth’s surface is covered by water? a.90% b.70% c.50% d.30% e.10% Only 3% of the water on earth is fresh water.
26. Which statement is true about the magnetic pole. a. It is true north. b. It does not move c. The discrepancy from true north depends on where you are. d. All of the above e. None of the above C.
27. What place on earth gets the closest to the moon? Chimborazo is a currently inactive strato-volcano located in the Cordillera Occidental range of the Andes in Ecuador. Its last known eruption occurred around 550 AD. Elevation: 20,564' (6,268 m). Although 9,000 ft shorter than Everest, Chimborazo sticks out from the earth more than other mountains because the earth is not exactly spherical.Elevation a.Mt. Everest b. Pike’s Peak c. Empire State Building top d. Mt. Chimborazo
28. What is the name of the deepest trench in the ocean (below sea level more than Everest is above sea level)? a.Tongas b. Marianas c. Philippine d. Kermadec Marianas Trench 35,840 ft. 10,924 m Tongas Trench 35,702 ft 10,082 m Kuril- Kamchatka Trench 34,587 ft 10,542 m Philippine Trench 34,580 ft 10,540 m Kermadec Trench 32,963 ft 10,047 m Puerto Rico Trench 28,373 ft 8,648 m South Sandwich 28,307 ft 8,428 m
For more Powerpoint pre-shows, please visit: http://murov.info/PPTPreshows.htm