Presentation on theme: "Activities of Busan Joint Action Committee against Asbestos Suk-koun, Lee Korea Institute of Labor Safety and Health/ Busan Joint Action Committee against."— Presentation transcript:
Activities of Busan Joint Action Committee against Asbestos Suk-koun, Lee Korea Institute of Labor Safety and Health/ Busan Joint Action Committee against Asbestos BAN a SBESTOS NETWORK KOREA
Factories permitted to manufacture Asbestos (1991~2006) LocationNumber Seoul/Kyeong-gi25 Busan/Kyeong-nam28 Others24 Sum77 Number of factories permitted to manufacture asbestos (1991~2006), by Labor Ministry 25 Seoul/ Kyeong-gi 28 Busan/ Kyeong-nam
Busan Joint Action Committee against Asbestos When did we start? -from March, 2008 Who are we? -asbestos victims and their families -activists from KCTU, environmental organizations, and labor health organizations -concerned citizens who are against asbestos
Busan Joint Action Committee against Asbestos What are our goals? -to organize and support asbestos victims -to fight for banning asbestos -to monitor the govn’t policies on asbestos -to reform asbestos-related regulations -to improve the compensation system for asbestos victims -to strengthen international solidarity
Our Current Activities 1.Monitoring the asbestos removal projects by Busan City government 2. Organizing international workshops on asbestos victims 3. Supporting lawsuits for asbestos victims 4. Searching for environmental asbestos victims
1. Monitoring City Govn’t Projects Asbestos Removal Projects by Busan City Covn’t - “Complete Enumeration Survey on Asbestos Slate Roofs in Busan”(2011) -“Demolition and Removal of Asbestos Slate Roofs in Busan”(2012) What we did after monitoring -demanded the city govn’t take measures to prevent asbestos scattering when the roofs were demolished and removed -called for the expansion of the bugets to demolished and remove asbestos slate roofs in Busan
2. Korea-Japan Workshop on Asbestos Victims Date : June 3~4, 2013 Topics of discussion -situations of asbestos victims -activities of asbestos victims’ groups -problems in the compensation and/or relief system for asbestos victims -difficulties in clarifying the sources of responsibility for damages from asbestos
Results of the workshop -Adoption of a resolution -Press conference 2. Korea-Japan Workshop on Asbestos Victims
3. Lawsuits for Asbestos Victims First Trial(2008~2012) -Busan district court: “JEIL E&S was responsible for the diseases of asbestos victims.” -90% of occupational cases were admitted -60% of environmental cases were admitted * However… -The Korea government and NICHIAS were found not responsible. -Both parties appealed against the decision of the court.
3. Lawsuits for Asbestos Victims Second Trial(2012~2013) -High court dismissed the appeal by both parties -Same ruiling as the first trial * Now the lawsuit is underway in the Supreme court.
4. Environmental Asbestos Victims Victims with mesothelioma -20 victims identified -The youngest victim : 35 years old -Most of the victims : in their 40s and 50s Victims with asbestosis -11 victims identified JEIL E&S were found responsible for all 31 victims.
Our Tasks for the Future To put more efforts to search for the victims of asbestos To enlarge support for the lawsuits by the victims To expand monitoring activities for the demolition and removal of asbestos materials by Busan city government To improve our system for more stable activities against asbestos
Ban Asbestos Network KOrea 13 Thank You!! BAN a SBESTOS NETWORK KOREA