4. Clay minerals in rocks Shale - Sedimentary Slate - Metamorphic Mica (Muscovite) in granite - Igneous ry/images/Slate%202_jpg.jpg
5. Some Economic Uses Slate as a building material Vermiculite as a soil conditioner* *and for insulation A variety of clay minerals are used for ceramics
6. Some Economic Uses - Local The (now defunct) Grand Ledge Clay Products Company from Dorr and Eschman, Geology of Michigan, 1970 Pennsylvanian age shale was historically quarried in mid- Michigan for use in the local ceramics industry.
7. Environmental Hazards – Swelling Clay From Nelson and Miller 1982 Foundation damage High risk areas * Hazards arise from the natural ability of some clays to absorb large amounts of water
8. Environmental Hazards – Mass Movement * Although other factors such as heavy rainfall are also important, a high clay content in soil can elevate the risk of landslides in steep terrain.