Presentation on theme: "Jakub Halabrín (15) 9.B. History The town was first mentioned in 1313 as Zereth. In the Middle Ages, it lay on the trade route called "Bohemian Road""— Presentation transcript:
Jakub Halabrín (15) 9.B
History The town was first mentioned in 1313 as Zereth. In the Middle Ages, it lay on the trade route called "Bohemian Road" which ran from Buda to Prague. Thanks to its location, livestock was held in the town. Sered had also been a large raft port and an important waterway until 1943 when a dam was built on the river Váh at Nosice.
Sereď was the site of the only labour camp for Jews established in the Slovak state. The Jewish Code adopted by Slovakia in 1941 established labour camps for Jews. During the winter of , a team of Jewish craftsmen was sent to a military camp near Sereď to prepare the camp for Jewish labour draftees.
Economy Since 1845, sugar has been produced from sugar beets grown on the nearby fields. Since the 19th century, coffee substitutes as rye and malt coffee or chicory have also been produced in Sereď.
The town is well–known for its production of cookies, biscuits, and wafers. By utilizing its rich wine making tradition, a modern wine processing factory was established in the town during the 1950s.
A few years ago a producer of glass woven goods started its production in Sereď. A factory producing wide range of garden concrete paving stones started its business here, too.
Cityscape and architecture The historically most important building is the Esterházy manor-house (castle) which is located on the site of the once famous medieval water-castle of Sempte. John the Baptist Church is situated on the opposite place of the former parish church since When the former church burned down on August 2, 1777, the Esterhazy family decided to build a new one and they moved there the two renaissance tomb-stones with relief of anti-Turkish warriors.