Presentation on theme: "–I.Chosse the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest. 1. a. hands b. parents c. chores d. boys 2. a. brothersb. weekends."— Presentation transcript:
–I.Chosse the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest. 1. a. hands b. parents c. chores d. boys 2. a. brothersb. weekends c. problems d. secrets 3.a. clothesb. cloths c. roofs d. books 4.a. enjoysb. feels c. takes d. gives 5.a. attemptsb. shares c. looks d. beliefs
II. Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one. 6. He has looking at his parents waiting for recommendations. a. obeyb. obediencec. obedientd. obediently 7. the interviews with parents showed that the vast majority were of teachers. a. supportb. supportive c. supporterd. supporting 8. Billy has been seriously ill, and he was taken to hospital yesterday. a. ab. anc. thed. Ф 9. My husband and I both go out to work so we share the a. happinessb. household chores c. responsibilityd. employment 10. You should not burn You had better dig a hole and bury it. a. dishesb. lab c. garbage d. shift
11. He was very respectful at home and ____to his parents. a. responsibleb. caringc. obedientd. lovely 12. One of Vietnamese traditions is a belief in_____families and in preserving their cultures. a. wealthy b. secure c. safed. close-knit 13. He was_____when I had those problems and said whatever I did he would stand by me. a. supportiveb. exciting c. busyd. dull 14. He was determined to give his family s secure and solid______ a. base b. floor c. basement d. through 15. It’s hard work looking ____three children all day. a. after b. up c. tod. through 16. When my mother is busy preparing dinner, my father often gives s hand _______tidying the living room. a. on b. with c. for d. about 17. I put your keys in the drawer ____ they cannot get lost. a. because b. let alonec. instead ofd. so that 18. Alex is busy_______for his exams. a. to study b. studied c. studyingd. studies
19. She is never willing_______any personal question. a. answer b. to answer c. answering d. answered 20. ______a doctor, you have to meet some certain requirements of the medical college. a. to becomeb. Becomec. Becomingd. became 21. Sam________to change a light bulb when he______and a. was trying/ slipped/ fellb. tried/ was slipping/ falling c. had been trying/ slipped/ was fallingd. has tried/ slips/ falls 22. Every day I____up at 6 o’clock____ breakfast at 7 o’ clock and _____for work at 8 o’clock a. get/ eat/ leaveb. tried/ was slipping/ falling c. got/ ate/ leftd. has tried/ slips/ falls 23. Yesterday, I___ for work late because I ________to set my alarm a. had left/ forgotb. was leaving/ was forgetting c. left/ had forgotd. had been leaving/ would forget 24. By the time we_______ to the train station, Susan for us for more than two hours. a. will get/ has been waiting b. got/ was waiting c. got/ had been waiting d. get/ will wait
25. I _____ for this company for more than thirty years, and I intent to stay here until I_____ next year. a. am working/ will retire b. am going to work/ am retiring c. work/ am going to retire d. have been working/ retire 26. My mother always the first_____ up and the last _____to bed. a. getting/ goingb. to get/going c. getting/ to go d. to get/ to go 27. I_____ you last night after dinner, but you _____there. Where_____ you? a. was calling/ are not/are b. called/ were not/ were c. had called/ had not been/ were d. called/ have not been/ are 28. The titanic______ the Atlantic when it______ an iceberg. a. was crossing/ struck c. had crossed / was striking c. crossed / had stuck d. is crossing / strikes 29. _______ to come over for dinner tonight ? a. Do you want b. Are you wanting c. Have you wanted d. Will you want 30. What _______ at this time tomorrow ? a. will you do b. will you be doing c. will you have doned. will you have been doing
III. Choose the best sentence that can be made from the words given. 31. Family rules / important / teach children values / respect for themselves and others a. Family rules are important, teaching children values and respect for themselves and others. b. Family rules are important which teach children values and respect for themselves and others. c. It is family rules are important because they teach children values and respect for themselves and others. d. Family rules are important. They teach children values and respect for themselves and others. 32. Family rules / help / raise children / run a household / easier and smoother. a. Family rules help to raise children but run a household easier and smoother. b. Family rules help raise children or run a household more easier and smoother. c. Family rules that help raise children and run a household easier and smoother. d.Family rules help raise children and run a household easier and smoother.
33. My mother / definitely a traditional stay- at-home woman / offer / us / great love and a strict upbringing. a. My mother is definitely a traditional stay- at-home woman, offer us great love and a strict upbringing. b.. My mother is definitely a traditional stay- at-home woman, who offer us great love and a strict upbringing. c. Because my mother is definitely a traditional stay- at-home woman so she offer us great love and a strict upbringing. d. As definitely is my mother a traditional stay- at-home woman, but she offer us great love and a strict upbringing. 34. Everyone in my family / do the share / household chores. a. Everyone in my family has to do the share of household chore. b. Everyone in my family, they must do the share of household chore c. As everyone in my family has to do the share of household chore. d. To everyone in my family, we have to do our share of household chore. 35. We / not allow / go out in the evening / make / finish all homework / go to bed a. We do not allow going out in the evening and make finish all homework before going to bed. b. we are not allowed to go out in the evening and are made to finish all homework before going to bed. c. we are not allowed to go out in the evening so we are made to finish all homework before going to bed. d. Although we are not allowed to go out in the evening but we are made to finish all h0mework before going to bed.
IV. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer. I was born to dance. I have been dancing all my life, ever since my mother,who give up a dancing career on the stage when she married my father, picked me up and twirled me around as an infant. As much as I loved dancing with her, her greatest gift to me was her “ unconditional love” during her lifetime. My parents divorced after only 5 year of marriage, but my father remarried a lovely lady who also loved to dance. They used to take me to a dancing club where t would listen to the music and watch them dance – occasionally my stepmother, Mary. invited me to dance. I also met my wife, Charlotte, in a dancing party. I danced with her for about 15 minutes, and dancing throughout our marriage. My earliest memories of dancing with my daughters started when I came home from work to our small home in Marblehead, Massachusetts, and my daughter Laura was about 3 years old. It was very relaxing for me to on the record player, pick up Laura in my arms, and dance her around the room!
Our family danced a lot. My daughters, Laura and Anne, and I continued to dance on every occasion. One favorite memory I have of dancing with Laura and Anne was when I took each of them when they were seniors in high school to the Daddy- Daughter dance. We won both dance competitions! As their father, I have tried to provide my daughters with unconditional love, as my mother provided to me, endless emotional and loving support, and good educations and life experiences which have helped prepare them for happy and successful adult lives. Being a father who is worthy of their love and respect, I consider fatherhood a privilege, not an entitlement. In 1994, my oldest daughter Laura gave me a lovely book, which I still have, entitled” Father and Daughters”. My father’s Day suggestion to every father is to dance with your daughter at every opportunity. It will not only bring you closer, it will give them memories of you ‘to hang onto” long after we are gone.
36. Of the characters mentioned in the passage, who did not like dancing? a. Mary b. Laura c. Anned. no one 37. The writer________. a. could not dance well b. had a devoted mother c. had not met his father since his parents divorced d. did not like to dance with his step mother 38. Which sentence is not true? a. He used to go to a dancing club with his father and step mother. b. The writer had two daughters. c. The writer enjoyed dancing with his daughter. d. the writer never danced with his step mother 39. Which is not referred to what the writer provides his daughter with? a. the arts of dancing b. unconditional love c. endless emotional and loving support d. good educations and life experiences 40. The writer____________ fatherhood a. underestimatesb. appreciates c. dislikes d. disapproves of
V. Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase. Jean was the warmest, kindest lady(41)_____always volunteered her time, her effort and her love.(42)_____ a warm smile, a kind word or a listening ear, she was destined to make her mark in the hearts of her(43)_____ family and friends. They were her greatest(44)_____ throughout her eleven- year struggle with cancer, which gave her the (45)_____ to never give up. When it came to her leisure time, Jean enjoyed (46)_____ some shopping and having (47)_____ lunch with her to children. She also liked to shop at the supermarket, particularly to buy clothes for her sons and grandchildren. For Jean, having a happy family (48)_________having heaven in her heart and angels in her life. She truly cherished everyone in her life!(49)_____ gave Jean the greatest joy was sharing herself with her family and friends, offering them the most precious thing she (50)______ her time. It is a gift none of them will ever forget.
41. a. whichb. thatc. whomd. whose 42. a. Onb. Inc. Ford. With 43. a. cherish b. cherishable c. cherished d. cherishingly 44. a. supportb. admirec. desired. arm 45.a. courageb. courageousc. courageouslyd. encourage 46. a. Dob. To doc. Doingd. Done 47. a. ab. an c. thed. no article 48. a. mentionedb. meantc. Showedd. expressed 49. a. Whatb. Thatc. Thisd. Which 50. a. belongedb. rentedc. possessedd. borrowed