Presentation on theme: "Bell Ringer Who was the Supreme Allied Commander of the Normandy Invasion? (hint: he was American) Which US President made the decision to drop the Atomic."— Presentation transcript:
Bell Ringer Who was the Supreme Allied Commander of the Normandy Invasion? (hint: he was American) Which US President made the decision to drop the Atomic bombs on Japan? What were the different things he had to consider when he made his decision?
We will… You will be able to… Identify the major outcomes of WWII. Today in class… Language Social Studies Define: United Nations (UN) Evaluate how the losers of WWII and WWI were treated. Explain the purpose of the Geneva Convention. Describe the efforts to reconstruct Germany. Describe the efforts to reconstruct Japan. Explain the purpose of Yalta Conference and identify the main players. Next Time/Soon: WWII Open Note “Quest”& Unit Vocab
VOCABULARY U.N. (United Nations) - international peacekeeping organization started after WWII
3. Nuremburg War Crimes Trials Held in Nuremburg, Germany in 1945-1946 22 Nazi leaders were put on trial. Accused of violating the laws of war and committing "crimes against humanity" (murder of 11 million people) Outcomes of WWII
4. Division of Europe--Iron Curtain Represents Europe's division between a mostly democratic Western Europe & communist Eastern Europe. Iron curtain speech, given by Winston Churchill, on March 5, 1946. "From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an iron curtain has descended across the Continent" Outcomes of WWII
The Iron Curtain serves to keep people in …. and information out.
5. Establishment of the United Nations (UN) 50 nations signed the original UN charter They pledged "to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war." Outcomes of WWII The UN is based in New York City
6. The Marshall Plan June 1947, U.S. Secretary of State George Marshall proposed that America give aid to any European country that needed it. This became known as the Marshall Plan. Marshall Plan: $13 billion in aid given to Europe. Aid included: food, machines, and rebuilding materials. Outcomes of WWII
7. Formation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) & Warsaw Pact Rival alliances developed post WWII. NATO was developed to protect any nation who was attacked. Soviet Union viewed NATO as a threat and developed an alliance known as the Warsaw Pact. Outcomes of WWII
The Geneva Convention Purpose: To ensure the humane treatment of prisoners of war by establishing rules to be followed by all nations. During WWII: Prisoners in Europe were treated OK (in general). Prisoners in Japan were treated with savagery. VS.
Beginning of the Cold War Yalta Conference was a meeting to discuss post- war reconstruction Churchill, Roosevelt & Stalin February 1945 Soviet control of Eastern Europe!@#%! Soviet control of Eastern Europe!@#%! Not on my watch!
Complete # 8 and #9 on your Battle & Events chart. 20th-Century History: 1945-1989: The Cold War Chapter 1: The Cold War: World War II Ends and the Allied Powers' Friendship Crumbles (1945)
1. Democratic government installed in West Germany & West Berlin 2. Germany & Berlin divided among the four Allied Powers Efforts to Reconstruct Germany
Post-War West Germany West Germany quickly emerged as an economic power in post-war Europe Cars Steel Coal
1. U.S. occupied Japan during Truman administration 2. Japan developed as a democracy & economic power 3. Japan’s offensive military capabilities were eliminated U.S. guaranteed Japan's security Efforts to Reconstruct Japan General Douglas MacArthur
Post-War Japan Japan emerged as the dominant economy in Asia By the 1970s, Japan was a world leader in autos and high tech fields
Today, Japan and Germany are two of the strongest democracies in the world— thanks in large part to America forcing it upon them after WWII.
Exit Ticket Compare how the losers of WWI and WWII were treated – use the Venn Diagram. On the back of your diagram, answer in complete sentences: Which way do you think was better? Why? Provide details to explain why you think so. Due at the end of the block