Presentation on theme: "What Do We Know About Nathan In The Bible?. The Relationship Of David and Nathan 2 Sam 5:14 –One of David's sons is named Nathan 2 Sam 7:1-4, 17 –Nathan."— Presentation transcript:
The Relationship Of David and Nathan 2 Sam 5:14 –One of David's sons is named Nathan 2 Sam 7:1-4, 17 –Nathan was humble enough to correct himself –Nathan was willing to teach God’s word to David 2 Sam 12:1-9 –David displayed confidence in Nathan –David listened intently to Nathan –David received the correction of Nathan 1 Kings 1:9-14 –Nathan shared serious matters with David –Nathan was able to distinguish right from wrong –Nathan was a fearless friend
Is This The Kind Of Person We Would Like To Have In Our Lives?
We All Need A Nathan… And… We All Need To Be A Nathan.
The Tension Some may assume we cannot correct or teach others because that is “judging” We may judge others harshly or unfairly We may take the term judging out of context We may judge others based on prejudice We may judge others based on previous sin We may assume the worst when corrected
1. Judge Based On Love 9 “When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God. 11 “You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another. 12 You shall not swear by my name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.
1. Judge Based On Love 13 “You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired worker shall not remain with you all night until the morning. 14 You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the Lord. 17 “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
1. Judge Based On Love 15 “You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor. 16 You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. If on the Sabbath a man receives circumcision, so that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because on the Sabbath I made a man's whole body well? Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.” –John 7:23-24
2. Biblical Guidelines Based On Righteous Judgment –John 7:24 Not Based On The Old Covenant –Col. 2:16 Not Based Solely On Opinion –Romans 14:3 Give Special Consideration To Some –Acts 20:28, Heb. 13:7 We Should Judge If One Is Faithful To The Lord Individually and Congregationally –Acts 16:15, 1 Cor. 5, Gal. 6:2, James 5:19-20
3. Practicing Righteous Judgment Matthew 7- Jesus begins the sermon on the mount emphasizing TRUE RIGHTEOUSNESS… now he turns to righteous judgment. –Yourself- V1-4 –Others- V1-4 –Recipients- V6 –Your Prayer Life-V7-11 –Your Path-V13-14 –Preachers and Teachers-V15-19 –Judgment Of Jesus-V21
3. Practicing Righteous Judgment Verse 1- Judge not, that you be not judged. Verse 2- For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
3. Practicing Righteous Judgment Verse 3- Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Verse 4- Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
3. Practicing Righteous Judgment Verse 5- You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
4. Applying The Passage We must have redemptive love We must never use correction as our vehicle for pride or anger We need to remember: kindness and creativity go a long way in correction. We need routine eye examinations We need to be ready and praying for our Nathan
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.