Presentation on theme: "Deloitte Consulting LLP State Comptroller Office - Enterprise Information Management Solution Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts."— Presentation transcript:
Deloitte Consulting LLP State Comptroller Office - Enterprise Information Management Solution Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
- 2 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Contents Project Overview Quotes attributable to the EIM - BI project at the Texas Comptroller Business Need Project Details Technology Data Architecture Appendix Demo
33 Business Intelligence (BI) Areas of Focus Transparency and accountability Internal management and accountability –Performance tracking and reporting –Case selection based on risk assessment Statewide financial reporting –9/1/2008 – accounting data will be available to state agencies through FMQuery, part of the BI solution; payroll data already available State demographics –Texas EDGE
44 Transparency and Accountability CPA is the state’s chief accountant and keeper of financial data In January 2007, asked the question: what can the CPA do to help government be more transparent? Answer: post expenditures so that taxpayers can see how their money is being spent to help them hold government accountable
55 Timeline January 2007 – posted CPA’s expenditures on-line April 2007 – posted the top 24 state agency expenditures June 2007 – posted all state agency expenditures using an existing system June 2007 – HB3430 signed into law October 1, 2007 – new business intelligence solution in place
66 Findings Expenditure data is captured in 2 ways: –Comptroller object codes – for financial reporting and some expenditure reporting –NIGP codes – for procurement purposes and expenditure reporting No true cross-walk between the 2 CPA working on a solution that will make: –Comptroller object codes focus on financial reporting only –NIGP (or similar) codes – focus exclusively on procurement and expenditure reporting for goods and services
77 BI and ERP BI will play a significant role in the ERP solution BI will help everyone talk the same language (pencils, office supplies, consumables) CPA will establish data standards for information to be sent to CPA for external and internal reporting Will work with agencies and higher education during the next few months on these standards
88 Technology What technology was used to address these issues? What were the final deliverables? How do they work? Sunnah Pasha – Deloitte (project prime) Business Objects – BI Software
- 9 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Quotes attributable to the EIM - BI project at the Texas Comptroller On January 15 th, 2008, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, joined Texas Comptroller Susan Combs at the University of Texas’ Center for American History, to highlight their efforts on the state and federal levels to bring greater transparency to government. Sen. Cornyn announced plans to introduce legislation to boost the public’s access to federal spending records. According to Cornyn “It’s because of the work of Texans like Comptroller Combs and Texas’ Freedom of Information Foundation that Texas has earned a reputation as one of the most open state governments in the nation. In the U.S. Senate, I have made it a priority to bring this same Texas Sunshine to the federal government.” John Cornyn “announced my plans to introduce a new bill to bring greater transparency to federal spending. The Federal Spending and Taxpayer Accessibility Act of 2008—based largely on the hard work of Comptroller Combs—would provide taxpayers with unprecedented access to federal spending records, on everything from staff salaries to travel expenses. Comptroller Combs said: “It is clearly important for taxpayers to see where their money goes and hold state government accountable for its spending. I applaud the recent federal transparency on grants and contracts, but the public also deserves to know about the rest of federal spending. Governments heighten citizens’ confidence when systems become accessible and we demystify government finances. I commend Sen. Cornyn for taking significant steps forward in transparency and accountability at the federal level.”
- 10 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Key Business Needs Requirement for a single point of access to data that is collected, generated and processed by CPA. The ability to query and access data without the constraints of a transactional system. Need for an accelerated and efficient reporting infrastructure. Significant reduction in lag time between a user’s request and actual availability of information. Advanced analytics and modeling of data for improved business intelligence. Capability to analyze data that is located in wide range of data sources without integrity concerns, compliance risks and confidentiality issues. Legislatively mandated requirement to have state expenditures available online for public access by Oct 1.
- 11 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Project Details Deloitte was commissioned by the TX CPA to build the “Business Intelligence Solution”. The Overall Solution consists of 7 separate project initiatives. 1.Dashboard for Executive and Division Management - Internal facing web based dash board to track KPIs related to state revenues and tax revenue enforcement activity such as tax collection, audit status, case assignment and other performance metrics for tax case management. 19 KPIs are being tracked through this initiative. 2.Online State Expenditures - Public facing web based reporting interface that provides information on state expenditure down to a payee level. 3.Online State Demographics for Economic Development - Public facing web based system which provides information on state, city, county or other geographical level economic and demographic information in the state of Texas. 4.Enforcement Scorecard - Web based score card of key metrics and performance indicators that will allow executive and division management to proactively track and monitor agency collection activity at different summary levels. Mechanism to track approximately 65 KPIs will be available. 5.State Financial Reporting - Web based query and reporting interface that will allow authorized users from state agencies to access employee payroll and GL related information. 6.Enforcement Scoring & Ranking - Automated scoring and ranking process which will identify risk and value associated with all the delinquent cases and taxes worked by Enforcement Division. 7.Comprehensive Data Warehouse Road Map – Road map for adding additional subject areas and identifying future opportunities for CPA Delivered !
- 12 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Technology Hardware Platform Intel Xeon based Dell Poweredge Servers Operating System Windows 2003 Server Storage Area Network Dell/EMC CX300 ETL Tool Business Objects Data Integrator 11.5 Database Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence (Reporting) Tool Business Objects XI R2 Service Pack 2 Scoring and Ranking/Analytics SPSS Clementine 10.0 Various hardware and software technologies employed in this project.
- 13 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Data Architecture The following gives a view of the Data Architecture used for the Business Intelligence Solution.
- 14 - U.S. Consulting Report Template_022307 Demo