Presentation on theme: "Why do we need Chemistry!!!. Cosmetics Cosmetic chemists are always looking for interesting and exotic ingredients that improve skin's appearance and."— Presentation transcript:
Why do we need Chemistry!!!
Cosmetics Cosmetic chemists are always looking for interesting and exotic ingredients that improve skin's appearance and health. Red iron oxide was found in burial tombs in ceremonial lip tints and rouge preparations. It was also used to draw the ancient cave pictures of animals. It is still used in many makeup formulations Titanium dioxide is used to thicken and lighten cosmetics like foundation, blush, and eye shadow. It’s also a sunscreen, protecting against both UVA and UVB rays without causing irritation to skin.
Clothes Polymer chemistry has contributed to clothing technology by providing man-made polymers to replicate or replace natural polymers such as silk, cotton, wool, etc. Chemists had to invent a new class of dyes (disperse dyes) in order to permanently add color to the new hydrophobic polymers suitable for making garments, primarily for polyester. Chemistry continues to contribute to clothing technology today, primarily through surface science and nanotechnology. Products like CoolMax and GoreTex work by transporting moisture (sweat) away from the body, because the surface of the fibers or membranes has been chemically changed.
Athletics (Exercise) Whether you’re running, walking, swimming, or playing football, your muscles are working more than they normally would. To work efficiently, your body chemistry changes. Working muscles need lots of oxygen. This is delivered to your muscles and organs by blood, so exercise puts increased demands on your heart and lungs. Your heart beats faster to supply the blood and your lungs gulp in the air to get the oxygen from it. Here’s the technical bit. The chemical equation for respiration and aerobic exercise is: C 6 H 12 O 6 + 6O 2 = ATP + 6H 2 O + 6CO 2 Or (more simply): glucose + oxygen = ATP + water + carbon dioxide.
Food Food scientists think of cooking in terms of the combination of food chemicals and the reactions they undergo to form a new food product. Food scientists work with food chemistry to develop new ways to use and combine ingredients. They study the chemical properties of the food components, how they combine and deteriorate, how to improve their nutrition, flavor, and storage qualities. They study the use of chemical flavors, thickening agents, stabilizers and preservatives and apply their knowledge to improve existing food products and develop new ones. Once a food product has been developed, process chemistry is used to determine the best way to manufacture the food
Human Processes The emotions that you feel are a result of chemical messengers, primarily neurotransmitters. Love, jealousy, envy, infatuation and infidelity all share a basis in chemistry. Some 60 chemical elements are found in the body, but what all of them are doing there is still unknown. Roughly 96 percent of the mass of the human body is made up of just four elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen, with a lot of that in the form of water. The remaining 4 percent is a sparse sampling of the periodic table of elements.periodic table of elements
Technology The innovative products of chemistry lead to cutting edge advancements—applied technology in medical devices, aerospace, computing, cars, fuels and more. That’s what chemistry enables: technological advancements that drive innovation, create jobs and enhance safety in our everyday lives.
Closing Task In a paragraph, discuss how chemistry is important and relevant to you. In addition, include what “Chemistry” question you would like to answer within the course of the class.