Presentation on theme: "How to answer different types of textual analysis questions on Chapter 6."— Presentation transcript:
How to answer different types of textual analysis questions on Chapter 6.
1. Read page 119-120 “Miss Brodie was not to know…that had changed” What does Sandy come to realise about Brodie’s plan for Rose? What does this cause Sandy to reconsider about Miss Brodie and her relationship with her?
2. During the summer of 1938, Sandy (aged 18) begins an affair with Teddy Lloyd. What attracts Sandy to Teddy? What does she find interesting in him? Read pages 120, 122, 123.
3. Read pages 123-124. How does Miss Brodie react when she discovers Sandy’s affair with Lloyd? Would you have expected this?
4. Read pages 118 and 124. Explain how Miss Brodie betrays the trust of Joyce Emily Hammond. N.B. The Spanish Civil War was fought from 17 July 1936 to 1 April 1939 between the Republicans, who were loyal to the established Spanish Republic, and the Nationalists, a rebel group led by General Francisco Franco. The Nationalists prevailed, and Franco ruled Spain as a fascist dictator for the next 36 years, from 1939 until his death in 1975.
5. Read pages 124-125. Explain why Sandy comes to the decision to betray Miss Brodie to Miss Mackay.
6. Sandy to Monica: “It is only impossible to betray when loyalty is due” (page 127) Sandy to Brodie: “If you did not betray us it is impossible that you could have been betrayed by us. The word betrayed does not apply” (page 126) How does Sandy feel about her decision to betray Brodie, and how does she justify it?
7. What is the result of Sandy’s betrayal? (page 125). 8. What does Brodie believe is the reason for her leaving the school? What does this reveal about Brodie’s character? (page 125-126). Provide evidence. 9. Read page 126-127. How does Brodie react to the information that she was betrayed by one of her set? How does this news affect the rest of her life? Provide evidence.
Chapter 5 and 6 Using evidence, explain in detail the events leading up to Sandy’s decision to betray Miss Brodie. Explain her reasons for doing so and her attitude towards her decision. Explain how Brodie reacts and the impact this has on the rest of her life. You should write 600-1000 words on this task, and go into plenty of detail.