INTRODUCTION Penitent: Feeling or showing sorrow and regret for having done wrong; repentant. Example: "a penitent expression" Synonyms:repentant, contrite, remorseful, sorry, apologetic, regretful, conscience-stricken, rueful, ashamed, shamefaced, abject, in sackcloth and ashes
What Happened to SIN and the CONSCIENCE? You are my hiding place, You always fill my heart With songs of deliverance, Whenever I am afraid I will trust in You, I will trust in You Let the weak say “I am strong In the strength of the Lord”
1. The Blessings of Forgiveness 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
2. The Burden of Personal Guilt 3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
3. The Broadcast of Confession 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”--and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
1. Your Needs [The Lord Speaks] a. You need instruction – I will provide it 8a I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; b. You need direction – It is available from me 8b I will counsel you and c. You need protection – I will be there for you 8c watch over you.
2. Your Challenges [David Speaks Again] a. You must recognize your ignorance 9a Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding b. You must acknowledge your stubbornness 9b but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. c. You must realize YOUR temptations 10a Many are the woes of the wicked,
3. Your Help [David Speaks] a. The Lord’s love for you is real 10b but the LORD’s unfailing love b. The Lord’s love is everywhere it is needed Unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him. c. The Lord’s Love is worth appreciating and celebrating 11a Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!
Theme Admitting and dealing with personal sin is life’s hardest task, but God’s provision is sufficient for the battle.
The Challenge Confess to the Father Confess accurately and completely Confirm forgiveness LIVE in humility