Presentation on theme: "Unit Four Key to Exercises. II.Fill in the blanks with words or phrases from the Vocabulary Snapshot. Change the forms if necessary. 1. The suspect is."— Presentation transcript:
Unit Four Key to Exercises
II.Fill in the blanks with words or phrases from the Vocabulary Snapshot. Change the forms if necessary. 1. The suspect is being held in the police headquarters for questioning. 2. I am writing on behalf of my brother to express thanks for your gift. 3. The story stirred her sympathy. 4. He illustrated his lessons about France with photographs of the people who live there. 5. I am reluctant to get out of bed on cold morning.
6. This button has just come off. 7. He asked for an interview with the President. 8. Exceptions cannot be made for individuals. 9. There has been some delay in the execution of my father’s will. 10. The accident was a terrible tragedy. They all died.
III.Complete the sentences with the proper forms of the words given in parentheses. 1. I couldn’t understand her apparent unease. 2. A brutal person is one who is cruel or savage. 3. The pipeline conveys natural gas to the Mideast. 4. The child fell down and started screaming. 5. The crew are paid to do all the work on the ship.
6. That old film evoked memories of the years of the war. 7. We use a globe in our geography lessons. 8. His voice shook with emotion. 9. I’ve reinforced the elbows of that jacket with leather patches. 10. The workmen are busy wiring the new school
V. Translate the Chinese into English. 1. He finished the work in an instant, but the manager wasn’t satisfied. 2.The chairman signed the document on behalf of the company. 3. The girl is reluctant to leave home for college. 4. Do what is right in your eyes.
5. The ambassador conveyed the President’s message to the premier. 6. I don’t think the stains will come off. 7. That kind of atmosphere always evokes memories of my alma matar. 8. The purpose of the law is to protect the rights of individuals
Choose the right word 1.after, behind A. The cat dashed out from behind a tree. B. I go swimming every day after work. C. A few months after his birth we found that our son was deaf. D. Jane shut the door behind her.
2. machine, machinery A. Nowadays machines do a lot of the jobs that people used to do. B. The work of this new machine is to fill beer bottles. C. They put millions of dollars into new machinery for the factory. D. That is a company exporting farm machinery.
3. a number of, the number of A. The number of IT ventures is rising fast in this area. B. Quite a number of people are applying for this position. C. The number of patients is not clear. D. The number of young men who joined the army last year is shown on the list.
Grammar Tips I. Correct the errors, if there are any, in the following sentences. 1. Will you ring me up when the football match will( 删去 will) begin? 2. He shut the door until—when I came in. 3. Till– Until he finished all his assignment, he didn’t go home. 4. Hardly Bob had—had Bob gone to bed when the doorbell rang.
5. The story happened that—when we were still schoolchildren. 6. At– In crossing the river, the geologist found something strange about the river. 7. I’ll give you an answer immediate— immediately I’ve finished reading your report. 8. Make hay as—while the sun shines.
II. Fill in each blank of the following paragraph with an appropriate word. 1. as 2.done 3. than 4. without 5. been 6. more 7. Whatever 8. up 9. from 10.sign
Practical Writing A. Write sentences with the information given below. 1. Apologize for a major delay—price list requested – 4 September We must apologize for the delay in sending you the price list requested on 4 September. Or Please accept our apologies for the delay in sending you the price list requested on 4 September.
2. Assure your customer of no similar errors in the future. We can assure you that there will be no more similar errors in the future. 3. Express regret for 16 damaged color TVs. We are very/extremely sorry to learn that 16 of the color TVs were damaged. Or We greatly regret the damage to 16 of the color TVs
B. Write a letter of apology DELOS COMPANY 17 Paxos Avenue, Athens Your ref: L M/C H Nathan Feld Manager LOOT MILLS Leeds LS2 6MD England Great Britain
August 15, 2009 Dear Mr Feld, Re: Your Letter 18th Jul./2nd Aug Thank your for your two letters dated 18th Jul. and 2nd Aug. repectively requesting a quotation for the supply of computer keyboards. I apologize for the delay in answering them and for any trouble so caused. Our company had all the offices redecorated last month and this has caused delay in all our work. Enclose is a copy of our latest quotation for the supply of computer keyboard. Regards, Steve Johnson Manager--Sales