Presentation on theme: "The beauty of the West Lake inspired a lot of poets to write their great poetry. ( 给予灵感） 2. admire ( vt.) admire sb. for sth. 为 ….. 赞美 / 钦佩某人 eg. I admire."— Presentation transcript:
The beauty of the West Lake inspired a lot of poets to write their great poetry. ( 给予灵感） 2. admire ( vt.) admire sb. for sth. 为 ….. 赞美 / 钦佩某人 eg. I admire him for his success in business. I am filled with admiration(n.) for his courage. Language points 1.inspire ( vt.) 鼓舞 inspire sb.to do sth. 鼓舞某人干某事 eg. The present excellent situation inspires us to win still greater victory.
3. mean ( adj. ) be mean with sth. 吝啬某物； be mean to sb. 对某人不善良 / 刻薄 eg. The man was very mean with money. Don’t be so mean to your little brother! 4.alone ( adv. ) 单独，独自 ( adj. ) （只作表语）单独的 eg. He lived alone. The old man was alone in the house. He is alone, but he doesn’t feel lonely. leave/let sb/sth alone 随他去；不去干涉或打扰 let alone 不考虑；更不用说，更别提 eg. The boy was unhappy so he asked to be left alone. There isn’t enough room for us, let alone six dogs.
5.What else, but a journey…. = What else should I do except make a journey… 6. team 集体名词, 做主语时谓语动词可用单、复数。 eg.---How are the team? ---Oh, they are very optimistic. The team is at the bottom of the third division. team up (with sb.) = work together (with sb.) eg. It’s a pleasure to team up with such excellent workers. 7. be about to do sth. = intend to do sth immediately; be on the point of doing sth. eg. As I was about to say when you interrupted me. We are about to start.
8. (just) around the corner = very near eg. Her house is (just) around the corner. Christmas is around the corner. 9. find sb. doing 发现某人在做某事 eg. When we got there, we found people waiting to welcome us. find sb. done 发现某人被 … eg. They found themselves trapped in the building.
10. threaten ( vt. ) threaten sb. (with sth.) （以 … ）威胁 / 恐吓某人 eg. The robber threatened him with a gun. threaten to do sth 威胁说要做某事 eg.The hijackers threatened to kill all the passengers if their demands were not met. The clouds threatened rain. 预示（某事） 11. at the top of one’s voice = as loudly as one can eg. At the sight of a mouse, the girl screamed at the top of her voice.
12. regret (n.) 遗憾；悔恨；抱歉；歉意 eg. My only regret is that I missed the chance to go abroad for further education. (vt.) 为 … 感到遗憾；后悔 eg. If you go now, you’ll regret it. regret doing sth regret to do sth 后悔干了某事 遗憾要干某事 eg. I regret being so rude to you last time. I regret to tell you that you haven’t passed the exam.
13. value ( vt. ) value sth/sb.(as sth.) = have a high opinion of sb./sth. 重视某人 / 事物（无进行时） eg. The students value their teachers’ advice. value truth above all else 把真理看得比什么都 重要 value sth.(at sth.) 给某物估价 eg. He valued the house for me at $80000.