Presentation on theme: "Giving Thanks And Expressing Regret Unit 2. Ⅰ Introduction Ⅱ Teaching Tasks Ⅲ Grammar."— Presentation transcript:
Giving Thanks And Expressing Regret Unit 2
Ⅰ Introduction Ⅱ Teaching Tasks Ⅲ Grammar
Thank-you note, congratulation card and apology letter are useful for expressing thanks, good wishes and apologies on some occasions. Also, it is important to learn to reply to them. Generally, there are three kinds of cards: A Thank-you Note A Congratulation Card A Letter of Apology Ⅰ Introduction
Task One A Thank-you Note Task Two A Congratulation Card Task Three A Letter of Apology Task Four Information Related to Give Thanks and Express Regret Ⅱ Teaching Tasks
May : Hello, June! June : Hi, May. How are you feeling now? May : Oh, much better. Thank you. And thank you very much for the roses. They are so lovely! June : I’m glad you like them. You know they are from my own garden. May : Yes, I know, some of the flowers opened this morning. So beautiful and sweet. June : I know you love flowers, and I hope you enjoy their company. May : Surely. You are always so thoughtful. June. June : I’m happy you like the flowers. Task One A Thank-you Note
2. Sample Dear June: The roses you sent me yesterday are right near me on the table. Some of them opened this morning. The flowers are so lovely and sweet that they make me feel much better. It was really very thoughtful of you. Thank you ever so much. Most appreciatively, May Lamb
3. Useful Expressions Expressing Thanks 致谢 1.I appreciate it. 2.I want to express my appreciation to all of my friends for their supporting. 3.I ’ m very grateful to you. 4.I ’ m thankful to you for all the beautiful gifts. 5.Thanks you very much again. 6.Words can ’ t express how honored touched I feel at the moment. 1. 我非常珍惜您的帮助 2. 我相对所有的朋友们给予我的 支持表示感谢 3. 实在太感谢你了 4. 十分感谢你所有的美好礼物 5. 再次表示感谢 6. 语言难以表达此时此刻我是多 么荣 幸
Replying to Thanks 答复 1) Not at all. 2)I ’ m happy I could do that. 3) It ’ s my pleasure. 4) It ’ s nothing at all. 5) Don ’ t mention it. 6) You are welcome. 1) 这没什么 2) 我很高兴能这么做 3) 这是我的荣幸 4) 一点也没关系 5) 不用谢 6) 不客气
Give thanks to your host family with whom you spent Charismas Day. A: I’m leaving tomorrow. I just can’t go without saying thanks to you. B: Oh, I hate to say good-bye to you. It’s nice to have had you with us. A: I’ll never forget the time we spent together you’ve done so much for me. B: It’s my pleasure. I’ll miss you. Please keep in touch. 4. Practice to Write A Thank-you Note
Bill: Congratulations. Mr. Alright! I have got the good news you were named outstanding Manager. John: Thank you. Mr. Black. Bill: I really feel happy for you. I know you deserve the honor. John: It’s very kind of you to say so. Bill: I have a visited one of your branches and I was very much impressed. John: I owe much to your kind help and support, Mr. Black. Bill: I’m sure you and your company will be more successful in the coming year. John: Thanks for your kind words.I’m looking forward to our continued cooperation in the future. Task Two A Congratulation Card
2.Sample Dear Mr. Alright: Congratulations on your being named this year’s outstanding manager. I once visited one of your branches and was very much impressed. I am sure you deserve this honor, and I feel so happy for you. Best wishes for even greater success to you and your company in the coming new year! Sincerely, John Black
3. Useful Expressions Giving Congratulations 祝贺 1)What a wonderful performance ! 2) I ’ d like to congratulate you on your success. 3) Well done. 4) I feel happy for you. 5) I must congratulate you. 6) Please accept my hearty congratulations. 1) 多么精彩的表现啊。 2) 祝贺你成功。 3 ）做的好。 4 ）我为你感到高兴。 5 ）我一定要祝贺你。 6 ）请接受我衷心的祝贺。
Replying to congratulations 答复 1) I ’ m lucky. 2) Thank you very much. 3) It ’ s very nice of you to say so. 4) Please accept my deep gratitude for your support. 5) I ’ m obliged to you for your help. 6) Thanks for your kind words. 1) 我很幸运。 2) 非常感谢你。 3) 你这样说真是太好了。 4) 请接受我对你的支持 的感激。 5) 非常感谢你的帮助。 6) 谢谢你的赞赏。
Congratulate your friend on getting a scholarship to study: A: I’m told that you are to be appointed Personal Manager. Congratulations! B: Really? I simply can’t believe it. A: It ’s definite true. I feel so happy for you. B: Oh, I ’m lucky! Thank you very much indeed for the good news. 4. Practice
A: I’ m very sorry ， Mr. Johnson. We are not able to deliver the sample by the date we agreed on. B: Never mind. A: I do apologize for this. B: It doesn’t matter. Just see that such things won’t happen again. Task Three A Letter of Apology
2.Sample Dear Sir: I’ m very sorry to inform you that, due to some unexpected problem, we are not able to deliver the sample by the date we agreed on. However, I promise that you will have them by the end of the month. It is a rare case for our company to postpone the delivery. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay. Yours, sincerely Bill Mille
3. Useful Expressions Giving Apologies 道歉 1 ） I really apologize for that. 2) Oh, pardon me. 3) I just don ’ t know what to say. 4) I can ’ t tell you how sorry I am. 5) I really didn ’ t mean it at all. 6) You must forgive me. It ’ s all my fault. 1) 对此我真的很抱歉。 2) 哦，请你原谅。 3) 我真不知该说什么才好。 4) 我无法表达我感到多么内疚。 5) 我真的是完全无意的。 6) 你一定要原谅我，这都是我 的错。
Replying to Apologies 答复 1) You really don ’ t have anything to apologize for. 2) I understand completely. 3) It ’ s nobody ’ s fault. 4) There ’ s nothing you could have done. 5) Let ’ s forget about it. 6) Don ’ t think more about it. 1) 其实，没有什么要道歉的。 2) 我完全理解。 3) 这不是任何人的错。 4) 对此你也无能无力。 5) 把这事忘了吧。 6) 不要再去想它了。
Say sorry to as friend who wants you to give her a hand in writing a paper. A: Could you please help me with these heavy packets? B: Oh, I’m terribly sorry. My hands are full at the moment. A: Never mind. I’ll try to manage by myself. B: Let me see if I can get someone else to help you. 4. Practice to Write a A Letter of Apology
Information related to give thanks and express regret: 1) If you receive a birth announcement form your friend, this doesn’t mean that you have to send a gift. If you wish to, you may find one. The best gift for babies is baby blanks, clothes or toys. 2) For a “ Bon Voyage” gift, it is better to send your present in advance. For most foreigners, flowers and things like magazines, cosmetics are preferable, but not fruits. 3) For a close friend, you may give something lasting and of high quality, such as a set of books or a wallet. Task Four
4) If you are a frequent weekend guest of a certain family, you may give some small gifts to their children, like a book, candy and chocolate. 5) A thank-you note should be written promptly after you have received a gift or been invited to a party. The notes needs not to be long, but the language must be sincere and naturally intimate. 6) At the end of the note, you’d better sign your name personally. The signed name could be the first name or pet name, while the typed one is usually in full.
Ⅲ Grammar 冠词是一种虚词，用在名词的前面，说明名词是特指的还 是泛指的。冠词分不定冠词，定冠词和零冠词 3 种。 A(an) 是不定冠词， The 是定冠词。 1. 不定冠词 不定冠词表示 “ 一 ” 、 “ 某一 ” 这个概念，用于可数名词的单 数形式前. You can see a hotel there. 你可以看到一家旅馆。 Mary is a teacher. 玛利是大一的学生。 2. 定冠词 定冠词（ the ）特指某人或某事物，通常用来指说话双方 都知道的或上文中已提到过的人或事物。也用来指世界上 独一无二的事物。 I come to meet a plane. The plane has arrived at the airport now. 我来接机. 这架飞机现在已经到达机场了.
The Chinese dishes at this banquet are very delicious. 这次宴会上的中国菜味道非常美. 3. 零冠词 1) 一般不用于专有名词前. 如 :China. 2) 名词前已有作为定语的 this, that, my 等代词时 如 :She is reading the books. 3) 泛指的复数名词表示一类人或事物 如 They are twins 。 4) 在季节, 月份等表示时间的名词之前 We go to school from Monday to Friday. 5) 在称呼或表示头衔的名词之前 What’s wrong, John? Translate the following sentences into English: 你参过故宫吗 ? 一小时有多少分钟 ? 他是大学的数学老师.