Presentation on theme: "1. Abet Definition: To encourage or assist (usually an offense against justice or the law) (to assist illegally) To aid and abet an enemy of the country."— Presentation transcript:
1. Abet Definition: To encourage or assist (usually an offense against justice or the law) (to assist illegally) To aid and abet an enemy of the country is a crime. Think of two synonyms for this word.
2. Agile Definition: characterized by ability to move quickly with suppleness and grace The girl’s agile movements were the mark of a superb gymnast. Are you agile? Answer using the word in a sentence explaining why you are or why you are not.
3. Antidote Definition: something that relieves the effects of poison. The dwarves tried to save snow white, but the only antidote was Prince Charming’s kiss. Write 1 synonym for this word.
4. Ascertain Definition: to find out definitely; to determine The detective attempted to ascertain the truth through his investigation of the clues. Write down 2 synonyms for this word. Use a thesaurus if you need to.
5. Benevolence Definition: kindness, generosity, charity Mother Theresa’s benevolence to the poor, sick, and needy will always be remembered. Write about someone who has shown benevolence to you or someone else in at least 3 sentences.
6. Desolate Definition: deserted, without inhabitants, barren I was alone The only soul In the desolate desert deciphering my way. One. 1.Write down 2 places that are desolate. 2. Write a sentence using one of these places.
7. Din Definition: loud and discordant noises, cacophony The din created by the young children gave me a headache. What sounds together create a Din? Write a sentence using this word.
8. Dissuade Definition: To advise against, to talk out of dissuade I tried to dissuade my friend out of going to the awkward dance, but he did it anyway. Write 1 antonym for this word.
9. Distend Definition: to expand, to swell Angered by Emily, He flung up his head with flashing eyes and distended nostrils in order to communicate to the whole table his irritation. Write a piece of dialogue between two people using this word. Be creative.
10. Enervation Definition: weakness A poor diet can cause enervation. Write two antonyms for this word.
11. Eulogy Definition: praise or tribute Derek Zoolander: Derek Zoolander: Or are you here to tell me What a bad eugoogoolizer I am? Matilda: Matilda: A what? Derek Zoolander: Derek Zoolander: A eugoogoolizer... one who speaks at funerals. Derek Zoolander: Derek Zoolander: Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was? In the movie, Zoolander, Derek gives the eulogy at the funeral for his friends. Use this word in a sentence.
12.Fitful Definition: irregular Due to fitful sleep this week, I am exhausted! Write 2 antonyms for this word.
13. Indelible Definition: cannot be removed, washed away, or erased His loving comments made an indelible imprint on her mind that she will never be able to forget. What other things can be indelible? Use this word in a sentence.
14. INERT Definition: Unable to move or to act, sluggish My inert brother didn’t leave the house once, but spent all weekend playing games on his computer. Write 1 antonym and 1 synonym for this word.
15. malevolence Definition: ill will or evil intentions Karen’s malevolence toward the girl that was talking to her boyfriend scared me. Using the vocab words we have so far what is 1 antonym for this word. Use both words in a sentence.
16.obliterate Definition: to remove all traces of; to do away with; to destroy completely; to cancel The hulk obliterated the super villain with his sheer force and brute strength. Use this word in a sentence!
17. ornate Definition: excessively decorated I chose to use ornate artwork to decorate the wall in my room. Use this word in a sentence.
18.paucity Definition: scarcity, fewness of number, dearth There was a paucity of good ideas we could use for our project. Write one antonym for this word.
19.piety Definition: devotion and reverence to God Nuns devote a lifetime of piety and devotion to God. Write one synonym and one antonym for this word.
20. precarious Definition: dangerous, risky, not a secure situation The people were hanging off the cliff in a precarious manner that made me nervous. Have you ever been in a precarious situation? Explain using the word in a sentence.
21. prosaic Definition: commonplace, uninspired, banal I wished my husband would discover an imaginative artist, and quit hanging such prosaic art in our house. Give one antonym for prosaic.
22.quiescent Definition: inactive, dormant The eruption was a surprise because the volcano had been quiescent for many years. Use this word in a sentence.
23. scintillating Definition: sparkling, shining, or flashing The fireworks during the fourth of July celebration are a scintillating display. Write one antonym for this word.
24. squalid Definition: Filthy in appearance, sordid Galveston Beach has brown squalid water that many people don’t want to swim in. List 2 synonyms for this word.
25.vexation Definition: discomfort or distress All my homework was a source of vexation for me as I worked to finish it all. What is a source of vexation to you and why? Respond using the word in 3 sentences.