Presentation on theme: "HCBC Summer Program Seminar: The Debate on Gun Control in the US."— Presentation transcript:
HCBC Summer Program Seminar: The Debate on Gun Control in the US
Program for Today 1. The history of guns in America 2. Videos: Sandy Hook massacre & gun control debate 3. Quick Summary of Events After Sandy Hook 4. Church discussion
1. The History of Guns in America
A Timeline of The American Revolution 1607 British Colonisation of America 1788 US Constitution 1776 US Declaration of Independence 1733 Molasses Act Intolerable (Coercive) Acts 2.13 colonies form the USA 1773 Tea Act & The Boston Tea Party 1765 Stamp Act American Revolutionary War 1791 US Bill of Rights
US Bill of Rights (First 10 Amendments) 1. Right to religion & freedom of speech 2. Right to keep and bear arms 3. Right to protection from quartering of troops 4. Right to protection from unreasonable search & seizure 5. Right to due process 6. Right to criminal trial by jury & counsel 7. Right to civil trial by jury 8. Right to freedom from cruel & unusual punishment 9. Protection of rights not enumerated in Constitution 10. Powers of States and people
Why do Americans Love Guns Today? 1. Romanticisation in history to guaranteeing liberty and security 2. The promise of manhood 3. Glorification of violence 0 Studies have found that prolonged and sustained exposure to violent games and media desensitises children to real violence. It doesn’t make them violent, but it makes them accept violence as more commonplace.
2. Videos... Sandy Hook massacre & Gun control debate
3. Quick Summary of Events Since the Massacre
0 US President Barack Obama & VP Joe Biden release a statement actively supporting: a ban on assault weapons, background checks on buyers at gun shows, restrictions on high capacity ammunition magazines
America’s Worst Shootings DateDescriptionFatalitiesLocation Dec 14, 2012Elementary School28 (20 children)Connecticut Aug 5, 2012Temple Shooting6 dead, 3 woundedWisconsin Jul 20, 2012Cinema Horror, “Joker”12Colorado Nov 5, 2009Army Psychiatrist13 dead, 32 woundedTexas Mar 10, 2009Cross County Spree10Alabama Apr 26, 2007Tech Campus Panic32Virginia Oct 2, 2006Amish Girls Die5 dead, 5 woundedPennsylvania Mar 21, 2005Family Hit First10Minnesota Apr 20, 1999Columbine Killings12 dead, 26 woundedColorado Mar 24, 1998Students Ambushed5 dead, 10 woundedArkansas Oct 16, 1991Cafeteria Killings23 dead, 20 woundedTexas
0 Since Howard's prompt and decisive gun laws after the Port Arthur massacre (35 deaths) in 1996, Australia has not had another massacre in 16 years.
0 Gun buy back scheme in New Jersey. 0 1,100 guns were turned up to $250 each
0 National Rifle Association (NRA) President & actor Charlton Heston holds up a musket as he tells members they can have his gun when they pry it “from my cold dead hands.” The NRA states that arming teachers/schools is the best defence against school shootings.
0 Share prices of gun manufacturers fall as investors shift their money elsewhere
0 Gun sales, especially for assault rifles and high capacity magazines are soaring across the nation
4. Church Discussion =)
Should Christians Own Guns? WWJD?
1. LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF 0 There are many Christians in America that choose not to own guns, as this would provide an opportunity for the violence that so usually accompanies that choice. Moreover, they wish to set an example in the hope that others would do the same. 0 Matthew 22:36-40, The Greatest Commandment 0 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
1. LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF (Cont.) 0 Matthew 5:43-48, Love for Enemies 0 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
2. OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD 0 Jesus never teaches us to respond to aggression/persecution or defend ourselves with violence. Rather we are called to love and to trust God for justice. 0 Matthew 5:38-42, Eye for Eye 0 38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
2. OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD (Cont.) 0 Matthew 26:52, Jesus Arrested 0 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 0 Romans 12:17-21, Love in Action 0 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
The YES Argument 0 In America, millions of Christians do own guns not just for hunting/sports but for self defence too. They claim that Jesus preached peace against those who persecuted Christians (turn the other cheek) but not against random criminal assaults. 0 Luke 22:36, The Last Supper 0 36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.” 38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.