Presentation on theme: "情态动词 modal verbs. 1.--Is John coming by train? --He should, but he ____ not. He likes driving his car. A. must B. can C. need D. may 2.It has been announced."— Presentation transcript:
情态动词 modal verbs
1.--Is John coming by train? --He should, but he ____ not. He likes driving his car. A. must B. can C. need D. may 2.It has been announced that candidates( 候选人 ) ____ remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected. A. can B.will C. may D. shall 3.--I heard they went skiing in the mountains last winter. --It ____ true because there was little snow there. A. may not be B. won’t be C. couldn’t be D. mustn’t be
情态动词 表示推测 不表示推测 can could may might shall should must will would ought to have to dare (daren’t) need (needn’t) used to
I daren’t ask her for a rise. 我不敢请求她加薪. How did you dare to tell her that? I wonder whether he dare stand up in public. I don’t know how she dares to wear that dress. Do you need any help? I wonder whether he need send it immediately. I need hardly tell you that the work is dangerous. The garden doesn’t need watering at the moment. You needn’t finish that work today.
判断正误 : How dare you say such a thing? How dare you to say such a thing? He daren’t to speak English before such a crowd, did he? He daren’t speak English before such a crowd, dare he?
Nobody need to be afraid of catching the disease. Nobody need be afraid of catching the disease. These dishes need be cleaned carefully. These dishes need to be cleaned carefully. These dishes need cleaning carefully.
注意对 need 问句的回答 : --Need I finish the work today? --Yes, ________________. No, ________________. you must you needn’t you don’t have to
needn’t 对其它情态动词的回答 : --Shall I tell John about it? --No, you __________. --Must we do it now? --No, you __________. needn’t (don’t have to) needn’t (don’t have to)
表示推测 —— 情态动词的重要用法. 1. You must be Mr Smith----I was told to expect you here. 2. He must have known what we wanted. 3. We may have read the same report. 4. He can’t have slept through all that noise. 5. There’s someone outside----who can it be? 6. What can they be doing? 7. These pills might help to cure your disease. 8. You could be right, I suppose.
表示推测 —— 情态动词的重要用法. 肯定的推测 可能的推测 否定的推测 疑问的推测 must/should 对将来 对现在 对过去情态动词 may, might can’t, couldn’t can, could + V. + V. + have done 常见 must be + be doing + V. + V. + have done + be doing 可以用 not 表示 “ 可能不 ” +V. + V. + have done + be doing + V. + V. + have done + be doing
1. I don't know where she is, she _______ be in Wuhan. 2. At this moment, our teacher ________________ our exam papers. 这时，我们老师想必在批改试卷。 3. The road is wet. It ________________ last night. (rain) 4. Your mother ______________________ for you. 你妈妈一定一直在找你。 may must be marking must have rained must have been looking
5. Philip ________________________ seriously in the car accident. 菲利普可能在车祸中受了重伤 Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here. ---She _____________________ (go) by bus. 7. Mike ________________ his car, for he came to work by bus this morning. 迈克一定还没有找回他的车，因为早上他是坐 公共汽车来上班的。 may (might) have been hurt may (might) have gone can’t have found
高考考题 : 1. I thought you _____like something to read, so I have brought you some books. A. may B. might C. would D. must 2. Where is my pen? I ____it. A. might lose B. would have lost C. should have lost D. must have lost 3. I didn’t hear the phone. I ___asleep A. must be B. must have been C. should be D. should have been B D B
4. ---There were already five people in the car, but they managed to take me as well. ----It ____a comfortable journey A. can’t be B. shouldn’t be C. mustn’t have been D. couldn’t have been 5. It’s nearly seven o’clock. Jack ___be here at any moment. A. must B. need C. should D. could D C
不同的 “ 肯定 ” 程度可按下列层次排列： He is at home. ( 事实 ) He must be at home. （非常肯定的推断） He could be at home. （很可能） He ought to be at home. （很可能） He may be at home. （仅仅可能而已） He might be at home. （或许, 非常不确定） He might not be at home. （也许不在家） He may not be at home. （比 might 可能） He couldn’t be at home. （很可能不在家） He can’t be at home. （一定不在家） He isn't at home. （事实）
表示能力 : can, could, be able to *be able to 能用于各种时态。 can / could 只能表示现在或过去的能力。 *was / were able to : “ 设法做成某事 ” 相当于 managed to do sth. succeeded in doing sth. 。 1. 表示能力、许可的情态动词的用法。
1. A computer ______ think for itself; it must be told what to do. A. can’t B. couldn’t C. may not D. might not 2. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone ______ get out. A. had to B. would C. could D. was able to A D
3. They will ______ run this machine on their own in three months. A. can B. could C. may D. be able to 4. That big cinema ______ seat 2,000 people. A. can B. should C. ought to D. is able to D A
表示许可 : may / might, can / could * might, could 比较委婉, 一般多用于疑问句. * can, may 表达的语言比较随便. * 在以 could, might 表示征询对方意见 或表示请求时，回答应相应使用 can, may.
5. — Could I borrow your dictionary? — Yes, of course you _______. A. might B. will C. can D. should 6. — Might I watch TV after supper? — Yes, you ________. A. may B. must C. might D. can C A
2. 表示否定的情态动词的用法 : 部分情态动词的否定式是情态动词中的考点 之一。 mustn’t 不准, 禁止 needn’t 没必要 ( = don’t have to ) can’t 不能 ; 不可能 may not 不可以 ; 可能不 shouldn’t 不应该 ( = ought not to )
7. You ______ return the book now. You can keep it till next week if you like. A. can’t B. mustn’t C. needn’t D. may not 8. Johnny, you ______ play with the knife, you ______ hurt yourself. A. won’t ; can’t B. mustn’t ; may C. shouldn’t ; must D. can’t ; shouldn’t C B
9. --Will you stay for lunch? --Sorry, _____. My brother is coming to see me. A. I mustn’t B. I can’t C. I needn’t D. I won’t May I pick a flower in the garden? -- ________. A. No, you needn’t B. Not, please. C. No, you mustn’t D. No, you won’t B C
11. He ______ be punished if he disobeys. 如果他不服从, 就要受到惩罚. 12. We are not going to quarrel at all if you ____ only let me speak. 只要你让我说话, 我们根本就不会吵架 Sir, ____ he go or stay? --Let him go. A. will B. shall C. might D. could shall will B
14. The door _______ open. 这门经常打不开. 15. Ronald ______ stay in his small garden for a long time every day in the past. A. could B. might C. should D. would 16. You _____ have the book after I read it. 我看完以后一定把这本书给你. won’t D shall
4. 情态动词短语的使用 : would like to do… would rather do… would rather + 从句 would prefer to do... had better do...
改错 : 1. Would you like having some tea? 2. I’d prefer going to the lecture this evening. 3. I’d rather you to go to the meeting. 4. He would rather to die than to give in. 5. You’d better to have your hair cut today. Would you like to have some tea? I’d prefer to go to... … you went to... He would rather die than give in. You’d better have...
5. 用于虚拟语气的情态动词 : should might could would needn’t ought to
情态动词考题 : 1. Put on more clothes. You be feeling cold with only a shirt on. A. can B. could C. must D. would 2. "Must I drive to his house and pick up the children?" "No,." A. you shouldn't B. you might not C. you needn't D. you mustn't C C
3. We didn't see Tom at the meeting yesterday. He it. A. mustn't have attended B. cannot have attended C. needn't have attended D. would have not attended 4. We play chess than bridge. Some of us don't know how to play bridge. A. had better B. would better C. would rather D. had rather B A
5. There is someone knocking at the door. it be Tom? A. can B. must C. should D. ought to 6. Two year ago, my husband bought me a bicycle. If you live in town, it is often faster than a car and you worry about parking. A. must not B. may not C. should not D. don't have to A D