INVERSION 倒装句 一、完全倒装（整个谓语移至主语的前面） 1. Here, there, now, then 放在句首时 Here is a letter for you. There comes the bus. There are different forms of energy. There flows a small river in front of the village. Now comes your turn. 当主语是代词时， Here you are. There he comes. 句子不倒装。
2. in, out, down, up, back, over, away, off 放在 句首时 In came the teacher and the lesson began. Down fell the bowl on the ground. Up into the sky flew the arrow. Away went the angry old couple. Out rushed the young man. 当主语是代词时， In he came and the lesson began. 句子不倒装。
3. 表示方位的短语放在句首时 In front of the farm house sat a small boy. All around the fox in a circle were the dogs. Nearby is the Indianapolis race course.(1991 阅读） Outside were two men, neatly dressed in grey suits. （ 1995 阅读） 4. 直接引语的引述短语的倒装 “ What do you want? ” asked the man. “ Miss Li, ” said the officer, “ would you mind my smoking here? ”
二、部分倒装 （只把助动词、情态动词、系动词或表语放在 主语之前） 1 、有否定含义的副词放在句首时 (never, hardly, scarcely, not only, nor, seldom, little, rarely, nowhere, by no means, not until, hardly … when, no sooner … than, ect.) 1)Hardly did I think it possible. 2) Not only should we not be afraid of difficulties, but we should try our best to overcome them. 3) By no means will this method be satisfactory.
Ex. : 1) Not until midnight did it stop raining. 2) They had no sooner got to the plant than they started to work. 3) I have never seen such a man. = It didn ’ t stop raining until midnight. = No sooner had they got to the plant than they started to work. = Never have I seen such a man.
2. 频度副词和短语放在句首时 ( often, always, once, many a time, so+adj/adv., thus, now and again, every other day, ect.) Often had I intended to speak of it. Many a time has he helped me with experiment. So fast does light travel that it is difficult for us to imagine its speed. So busy is he that he has no time to spare. Thus was the Emperor deceived. = He is so busy that he has not time to spare. = The Emperor was thus deceived.
3. 副词 only 及其修饰的状语放在句首时 Only then did I realize the importance of English. Only when the war was over in 1918 was he able to get happily back to work. = I realized the importance of English only then. = He was able to get happily back to work only when the war was over in 1918.
4. 以 so, neither, nor 开头，表示另一人或物 “ 也一样 ” 或 “ 也不这样 ” 1)He saw it, （我也看见） 2)They can swim. （我们也会） 3)You can ’ t do it. （我也不会） 4)The first one wasn ’ t good and （第二个也不好） and so did I. So can we. Nor / Neither can I. nor / neither was the second. * * 1 ） ----It was hot yesterday. ---- （确实如此） 2 ） ----He works hard. ---- ( 确实如此） So it was. So he does.
5. 用在强调表语的句子中 Tired as / though he was, he went on working. Child as / though she is, she knows a great deal. = Although / Though he was tired, … = Although / Though she is a child, … Such was Albert Einstein, a simple man of great achievements. The children listened quietly to the story. Great was their fear.
6. 用在省略了的条件句中 1) Should he meet me, he would know me. 2) Were I you, I would go there alone. 3) Had he finished reading the book, he would have returned it to the library. = If he should meet me, he would know me. = If I were you, I would go there alone = If he had finished reading the book, he would have returned it to the library.
7. 用在感叹句中 How happy we are! What a terrible noise the machine makes! What a beautiful picture that is! 8. 用在表示 “ 祝愿 ” 的句子中 May you succeed. Long live our motherland