Presentation on theme: "Objective: Topic: Child Abuse Do: Students will understand the effects of: alcohol and drugs on unborn babies shaking a baby Level of Thinking: Understanding."— Presentation transcript:
Objective: Topic: Child Abuse Do: Students will understand the effects of: alcohol and drugs on unborn babies shaking a baby Level of Thinking: Understanding
Effects of Alcohol on Unborn Child
Drinking alcohol while pregnant Causes Birth Defects Alcohol and Pregnancy Do Not Mix!
Alcohol can damage a fetus anytime during the pregnancy even before she knows she is pregnant.
All types of alcohol should be avoided There is no safe type or amount of that is known to be safe.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Baby
Alcohol consumed anytime during pregnancy increases the risk of: O Birth defects O Lower weight and size O Abnormal facial features O Nervous system problems O Problems with learning
Learning and behavior problems are lifelong.
All of these problems are 100% preventable!
Discuss and answer questions One and Two with a partner.
Effects of Drug Exposure to an Unborn Child
Harmful Drug Types O Prescription Drugs- ordered by a doctor O Nonprescription Drugs- you can buy somewhere like Walgreens ( Aspirin)
Supplements O Vitamins and Minerals
Social Drugs Tobacco Alcohol Caffeine
Illegal Drugs heroin marijuana marijuana cocaine meth and other “street drugs”
Using drugs anytime during pregnancy affects the unborn child O The larger the amount of a drug a mother uses, and the longer she uses it, the greater the risks to the unborn child.
Insert slide 12
Using Drugs Increases Risks O Prenatal death O Premature birth O Miscarriage O Birth defects O Low birth weight O Small size O Small head
Babies may have withdrawal symptoms after they are born. O Tremors O Sleeplessness O Muscle spasms O Feeding problems
Drug Exposed Babies may also have: O Behavior problems O Learning problems O Suffer from Neglect and Abuse
Baby Demonstration/Drug Addicted Baby O Sounds are recorded from a real baby.
Discuss and answer questions 3 and 4
Shaken Baby Syndrome or SBS
What is it? Child abuse that involves shaking a baby
Legal Charges that may occur: O Child Protective Services is called and all children will be removed from the home O Charged with Assault on a Child O Charged with homicide if a baby dies from Shaken Baby Syndrome
What it IS and is NOT SBS is… O Form of child abuse O Unique type of injury O From forceful, violent shaking O Preventable SBS is not… O Form of punishment O Preexisting condition O Always seen with bruises O Caused by car accidents, falling or rough playing
Facts about SBS O 25% of babies shaken die from injuries O The remaining 75% can suffer severe brain damage O About 60% of victims die from their injuries later or suffer lifetime disabilities
Other FACTS O SBS most common cause of death in abused children O There may be no visible signs of injury O There may not be signs of injury until the child starts school and shows learning or behavioral problems O Children as old as 5 or 6 have died from SBS
Profile of a victim O Most are less than one year old O The majority are under 6 months old O Twins have a higher chance of being shaken
Profile of a shaker O Most are male O Most are the baby’s father or mother’s boyfriend O Mothers, grandparents, stepparents, other relatives can shake babies O Anyone who becomes frustrated
Reasons a baby is easily hurt O Heavy head- 25% of body weight O Weak neck muscles O Extra space inside the skull O Delicate veins that tear and bleed O easily O Brain is still developing
What happens when you shake a baby? O First- baby may become visually impaired or blind O Next- loss of memory and emotion & suffer learning and behavior problems O Finally- baby loses the ability to speak and hear possibly paralyzed on one or both sides and can result in death
Shaken Baby Demonstration
What is the #1 reason for shaking a baby? O To stop the child from crying
Other common reasons O Frustration with: potty training picky appetite baby is sick and cranky
Reasons baby cry O Is hungry O Needs to burp O Needs a diaper change O Is too hot or cold O Is getting sick O Is tired O Is over-stimulated
Ways to soothe a crying baby O Create a new noise to distract O Sing to the baby O Show the baby something to look at O Rock the baby O Push the baby in a stroller O Take them for a car ride O Give them a warm bath
O 3 new things you learned today? O 2 ways you can use this information. O 1 thing you are unsure of or have a question about.