Read the materials on Page 1 and fill in the table below. Who?What troubles were they in? Qualities that helped them What achievements did they make? Robert Bruce achieve success Helen Keller in life Gou Jian
Robert Bruce Gou Jian Who ? What troubles were they in? Helen Keller Beaten by the English several times; At first lost the war against the English Unable to speak, hear or see Beaten by the King of Wu; Kept as a slave in Wu
What achievements did they make? Defeated the English; became the first Scottish king Learned how to communicate; became a famous writer Defeated the king of Wu; Regained his lost land Qualities that helped them achieve success In life
Do you think the characters above have something in common? continue fighting patience determination perseverance never lose heart confident courageous keep going not give up persist/stick at keep positive, etc
Pre-reading 1. What is the hardest experience you have ever had? What is the greatest challenge you have ever faced? How did you go through it? What lessons have you learned from it? Suppose you chose to go on an expedition to Antarctica, what qualities do you think you would need to survive in one of the most unfriendly places on earth?
Reading First Reading 1. Where is the reading passage set? 2. Why is the topic of the passage called “ A SUCCESSFUL FAILURE”? 3. Who does Perce admire and why?
1. Where is the reading passage set? TThe passage is set in Antarctica. It mainly talks about an expedition to Antarctica on the ship Endurance in August 1914.
2. Why is the topic of the passage called “ A SUCCESSFUL FAILURE”? Their attempt to be the first people to set foot on Antarctica failed; However Shackleton made great struggles to save his men and finally everybody survived.
3. Who does Perce admire and why? Of course, Shackleton is Perce’s idol, because at that time it was considered a great honor to be part of his expeditions and when the Endurance was stuck in the pack ice, Shackleton’s perseverance won the author’s complete faith in him.
Second Reading 1. Read the passage again and try to finish part one of comprehending on page 4.
1.Why did Blackborow think that being “young,fit and energetic” would encourage Shackleton to take him on the trip? A.Shackleton liked young people who were fit and energetic. B. It would be cold and Shackleton would need young,energetic people to do difficult job. C.Shackleton wanted people who were fit but not trained in useful skills. D. Blackborow would not have gone unless he was young and energetic.
2.Why did Shackleton accept Perce when he found him hiding in the ship after the voyage had started? A.He didn’t have time to turn round and take him back to England. B. He admired his courage and encouraged him to stay. C. He felt angry but could not show it so he accepted the boy. D.He made the best of the situation.
3. Why did Shackleton not show how disappointed he was when the ship sank? A. He thought he could always organize another expedition. B. He knew it would be easier to cross Antarctica without the ship. C. He felt the men would need encouraging after this disaster. D. He had already taken all necessary supplies from the ship.
2.Try to summarize each paragraph with one sentence.
PPara. 1 UUnder the desperate circumstances, the author is doubtful whether they will return alive. PPara.2 TTwo man interrupted my thinking and a new day begins.
Para. 3 HHow I read the advertisement to recruit men for expedition to Antarctica. PPara. 4 II secretly went aboard the ship but was spotted and then accepted by Shackleton.
Para. 5 TTHE Endurance became stuck in pack ice and only essential supplies of the ship were saved. PPara. 6 SShackleton didn’t give way to disappointment and set out the framework for their life on Elephant Island. PPara.7 SShackleton’s plan to save us was explained.
3. What qualities do you think Shackleton and Perce show? Find some examples to support your ideas. Please finish the table on Page 5.
Name Qualities Examples Shackle - ton 1.perseverance, unselfish and calm 2. Concern for others and responsibility for team 1.Never give way to disappoint- ment when ship sank and expedition failed 2.Was always honest with his men 3.No difference in rank or in Social status 4.A fair division of food as well as work 5.Planned a rescue plan as soon as the ship sank
Name Qualities Examples Black- borow 1.determined, adventurous 2.cheerful and hardworking 1.When he thought he could not go he hid aboard the ship 2.Served 28meals three times a day despite problems with food
Discussion What can we learn from Shackleton and Blackborow? We should be perseverance, unselfish, and calm and try our best to be responsible for what we do to others. On the other hand,we’d better be determined, adventurous, cheerful and hardworking for what we do.
Homework A composition about one of your experience that once moved you most.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.