More examples: a. The handwritten notes are from Jack. b. The kidnappers were using a stolen car. c. We should drink boiled water. d. They took the injured woman to the nearby hospital at once.
e. The firemen were rescuing the people trapped in the fire. f. Scientific experiments carried out by students can be dangerous. g. The name mentioned in the letter was unknown to me. h. A barking dog seldom bites. i. Yesterday we saw a moving film.
a convincing promise 令人信服的承诺 frightening howls 可怕的嚎叫声 misleading advertisements 误导的广告 a forbidding manner 令人望而生畏的举止
Seeing from the mountain, we can see our beautiful school. Seen from the mountain, our school looks more beautiful. Being ill, he didn't go to school yesterday. Moved by the heroic deeds, the children couldn't help crying. More examples:
Heated, water changes into steam. Working hard at your lessons, you will succeed. Exhausted by the running, they went on running after the robber. The teacher came in, followed by students. The teacher came in, following the headmaster. His father died, leaving him a lot of money.
Unless invited, he will not come back to the company. Even if invited, I won't go. When driving to the airport, he knocked down a person.
1. We’d better keep a secret of the things ____ now. A. being discussedB. discussing C. to discussD. to be discussed 2. ____ Sunday, the students are at home. A. Being B. To be C. It is D. It being A D Exercises
3. ___ a letter from her parents, Lily is now looking forward to ___ from them A. Having not received; hear B. Not received; hear C. Not having received; hearing D. Receiving; hearing C
4. People drink ____ water, but nobody drinks ____ water. A. boiling; boilingB. boiling; boiled C. boiled; boilingD. boiled; boiled 5. The traveler ____ on the hillside ____ at the sun rising. A. stands; look B. stand; and look C. standing; to look D. standing; looked C D
6. Yesterday I saw a man ____ in the street, with a little boy ____ on his shoulder. A. walking; seating B. walk; sat C. walking; seatedD. to walk; sitting 7. The missing boys were last seen ____ near the river. A. playing B. to be playing C. plan D. to play C A
8. O’Neal works hard. He is often seen ____ heavily before his teammates start. A. sweatedB. to be sweated C. sweatingD. being sweated 9. After the flood, no house in the village ____. A. left standing B. left stood C. remained standing D. was remained stood C C
10. Nearly every great building in Beijing was built ____ south. A. to face B. facing C. to have faced D. being facing 11. ____ some boys and girls, the teacher entered the cinema. A. Followed B. Having followed C. Being followed D. Following B D
12. ____ several times, the young scientist still kept on making his experiments. A. Having been failed B. Having failed C. Though failed D. Because of failed 13. ____ many times, but he still doesn’t know how to do it. A. Being told B. He has been told C. Having toldD. Having been told B B
14. The student corrected his paper carefully, ____ the professor’s suggestions. A. follow B. following C. followed D. being followed B 15. ____ in the bustling (busy) city, he asked a policeman for help. A. Lost B. Having lost C. Losing D. Lose A
1.Adam and Eve were induced to eat the ________ (forbid) Fruit by Satan. 2. The man _______________ (question) now is a thief. forbidden being questioned 3. A man _________ (respect) others will be _________. (respect) respecting respected
4. These trains carry goods ________ (import) from foreign countries. 5. Money _____ (spend) is more than money ______ (earn). 6. Is this book ______ (write) by Henry James? imported spent earned written 7. _____ (use) cars are very cheap. Used
8. Those _________ (remain) had to face all kinds of difficulties. 9. When _______ (leave) the airport, they waved again and again to us. 10. _____ (lie) still in the grass, _______ (wait), he heard the sound of the wild. remaining leaving Lying waiting
Zhao Ning is writing an to her friend. Help her complete it by choosing the correct verbs from the following and using the correct form of v-ed or v-ing. interest surprise relax disappoint please confuse tire amuse annoy B (page 57)
Hi Wang Wei, I am very (1)_______ about this project I have just finished. It is about transport. There are so many different systems pleased interest surprise relax disappoint please confuse tire amuse annoy
around the world. It is (2) __________ to learn about them all. When I first undertook the project, I found the information (3) _________ because I didn’t know how to organize it. It was (4) ________ when all my classmates were (5) _______ and laughed at me because they had never seen me sacrifice so much for an interesting confusing annoying amused interest surprise relax disappoint please confuse tire amuse annoy
assignment. I was very (6) _____ by the end of the project. The marks were announced last week and I got a very (7) __________ mark. It was an A+, which was beyond my modest expectations. Then I thought I could have a (8) ________ weekend to make up for all my hard work, but my mum said I should tired surprising relaxing interest surprise relax disappoint please confuse tire amuse annoy
start on the next project! She was quite (9) ______, though. I am (10) ___________ that you are postponing your visit next week, but I expect I will see you soon. excited disappointed interest surprise relax disappoint please confuse tire amuse annoy