Presentation on theme: "NOTTINGHAM COUNCIL HOUSE. The Nottingham Council House Architect Cecil Howitt opened by The Prince of Wales in 1929. The seat of The Nottingham City Council."— Presentation transcript:
The Nottingham Council House Architect Cecil Howitt opened by The Prince of Wales in 1929. The seat of The Nottingham City Council Houses the Exchange Arcade Sculptural works designed by Joseph Else (1874 - 1955) the Principal of the Nottingham School of Art. The right hand lion is known as Oscar or Menelaus and the left is Leo or Agamemnon
The Prudential Building King / Queen Street Architect Alfred Waterhouse Built between 1894 and 1897
NOTTINGHAM MAIN POST OFFICE The Prudential Building King / Queen Street Architect Alfred Waterhouse Built between 1894 and 1897
THE OLD JESSOP’S STORE The Old Jessop's Department Store Building King Street architect Watson Fothergill built 1895 The old Jessop's (John Lewis) store used to occupy property all the way between Parliament Street and Long Row. John Lewis is now located in The Victoria Centre, and this building now hosts many different shops.
The Express Newspaper Offices Upper Parliament Street architect, Watson Fothergill. built during 1875 - 1876 Used to house the offices and printing works for The Nottingham Express Newspaper. The three carved heads are all of prominent Liberal MP's of the day - Cobden, Gladstone & Bright NB towers and turrets; interesting roofs, openings, gargoyles; polychrome masonry; Gothic arches; ornate capitals; generous use of sculpture
NOTTINGHAM VICTORIA STATION CLOCK The Nottingham Victoria Station Clock Tower the clock tower is all that remains of this once magnificent Victorian station. station designed by Albert E. Lambert opened in 1900 served both The Great Central and Great Northern Railways closed in 1967 and demolished.
THE YMCA The YMCA Shakespeare Street dates from 1937 architect Cecil Howitt
The Arkwright Building / Old University College Shakespeare Street Opened in 1881 as University College Nottingham Now part of Nottingham Trent University. This building was very extensively damaged when it suffered a direct hit by a German bomb in WW2 The masonry on the frontage clearly shows shrapnel scars
THE NEWTON BUILDING The Newton Building Burton Street Built between 1956 & 1958 Designed by Cecil Howitt Originally opened as a Technical College Now part of the Nottingham Trent University
SIDEVIEW OF THE THEATRE ROYAL AND THE ROYAL CONCERT HALL
The Fox (Foxy's) Pub Upper Parliament Street Art Deco style Built in 1928 THE FOX PUB
THE BELL INN The Bell Inn, Angel Row Grade 2 listed building A contender for the oldest original pub in the city. Actually two timber framed buildings that have been masked by the more modern frontage. The Bell shows a date of Establishment in 1437
THE FLYING HORSE SHOPPING MALL With Pegasus, the winged horse from Greek Mythology
The Flying Horse Hotel The Poultry From 1483 but what we see today is probably a good bit later Previously known as The Travellers Inn No longer a hotel Amazing chimneys Converted into a shopping arcade in 1990s THE FLYING HORSE HOTEL
THE POULTRY ARCADE The Poultry Arcade The Poultry Ornate building Once a very prestigious building Important retail outlet or other business of its day.
The Nottingham & Notts Bank Head Office Thurland Street Architect Watson Fothergill Built between 1877 and 1882 Abundance of detail Fantastic quality of materials used suggests a limitless budget? One of the best Fothergill examples
The Old Corn Exchange Thurland Street Architect T. C. Hine Built beteen1849 & 1850 The city's corn exchange
THE PITCHER AND PIANO PUB The Pitcher & Piano Public House High Pavement Bar that occupies a deconsecrated Unitarian Church building
THE SHIRE HALL The Shire Hall High Pavement Built in the 1740's Architect J. Gandon Used to be the seat of justice for the County of Nottinghamshire Now The Galleries of Justice, a museum dedicated to the history of the justice system Also housed the County Gaol N.B. mistake in carving of ‘Gaol’ above the door
St Mary's Church, High Pavement, The Lace Market Oldest church in Nottingham Mentioned in the Domesday Book Saxon origins In ‘English’ part of the city Extended and modified many times over the centuries Most of the outer shell that is visible today dates from C14th & 15th Occupies a prominent position on the top of the hill would have been a landmark visible from many miles around before the lace mills and warehouses The top of the tower is some ten feet higher than the parapets of the present Castle