Presentation on theme: "ROAD MAP FOR CASHEW DEVELOPMENT IN KOGI STATE NIGERIA Prepared by DR. OLUFEMI BOLARIN, THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER FOR AGRICULTURE, KOGI STATE."— Presentation transcript:
ROAD MAP FOR CASHEW DEVELOPMENT IN KOGI STATE NIGERIA Prepared by DR. OLUFEMI BOLARIN, THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER FOR AGRICULTURE, KOGI STATE.
OVERVIEW INTRODUCTION IMPLICATION WHAT KOGI STATE GOVERNMENT IS DOING CURRENTLY WHAT GOVERNOR WADA ADMINISTRATION WILL DO CONCLUSION
Nigeria presently produce 120,000 MT of Cashew nuts
Expectedly by 2015, she is expected to produce 500,000MT of Cashew
There are about 15 Cashew processing factories in Nigeria.
However, sadly enough over 80% of raw Cashew nuts produced in Nigeria are exported to India and Vietnam.
Let us come home to Kogi State Kogi State is the highest producer of Cashew nuts in the Country. Thus, the call for the establishment of Kogi Cashew Corridor.
Kogi State Should play a leading role in facilitating the formation of Cashew Value- Chain as an arm of the Federal Government Transformation Agenda.
Implication for Kogi State relative advantage and the benefit that can accrue to the State.
Unfortunately, Kogi State as a leading producer of Cashew nuts is not reaping the maximum benefits in terms of revenue generation arising from grading of Cashew nuts.
WHAT KOGI STATE GOVERNMENT IS DOING CURRENTLY
1) Providing personnel for monitoring Cashew sales equipped with up to date grading equipments.
2 ) Assist farmers in the area of production and distribution of about 500,000MT improved Cashew Seedlings annually.
3) Setting up of Model Cashew processing factories through PPP arrangement.
4) Production of Cashew nuts for Export and Local Consumption.
5) Production of Cashew Nut Shell Liquid(NSL) which is a major raw materials for:- Battery makers Pharmaceutics Paints makers.
6) From the succulence juicy part, the State can produce:- Cashew Jam Cashew Wine Cashew Juice
7) The testal covering the edible seed can be used for livestock feed.
8) Possibly more important, Cashew is a premium snack for people all over the World and value-addition make the Liquid manage blood pressure and it contain Zero Cholesterol.
WHAT WADA ADMINISTRATION WILL DO
Establishment of Cashew Processing Zone base on Cluster like just introduced Staple Crop Processing Zone by the Federal Government.
Provide infrastructure for the industry player Locating cluster closer to producer Extensive drying yard platform Construction of big agricultural ware house
Facilitate access to land for commercial farming And liaise with funder, both local and international for willing investor.
Conclusions Cashew production should be encouraged and supported by strong research and extension efforts in other for farmers to increase its productivity. The elaborate research network and development in Nigeria is beneficial to the expansion of Cashew industry.
Development and sustainability of eco-friendly production packages would further provide a boost to the development and international acceptability of our dear nation(Nigeria) Cashew.