Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Slavery and the Prelude to War. Railroads Geography tobacco Textile Europe Farms Factories slave Harbors Banks Tools Slavery cotton Philadelphia Tools.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Slavery and the Prelude to War. Railroads Geography tobacco Textile Europe Farms Factories slave Harbors Banks Tools Slavery cotton Philadelphia Tools."— Presentation transcript:

1 Slavery and the Prelude to War

2 Railroads Geography tobacco Textile Europe Farms Factories slave Harbors Banks Tools Slavery cotton Philadelphia Tools Cash crops Manufacturing Eli Whitney Plantations Forests Coal

3 Slavery and Sectional Interests Southern plantations need the cheap labor – After Revolutionary War, slavery declined in the North because it was not profitable – N.W. Ordinance of 1787 prohibited slavery in the Northwest Territory

4

5 Slavery Ownership 75% of Southerners did not own slaves Of the remaining 25%, only ½ owned 5 or fewer slaves 2% owned 50 or more slaves Of the original 13 colonies, 6 were slaveholding and 7 were free

6 Nativism Belief that Native Born are better Formed the Know-Nothing Party Feared the immigrant workers--Catholic, Irish, Blacks

7 Laws to Keep the Balance Missouri Compromise (1820) – Maine/Missouri--36'30" dividing line Compromise of Henry Clay – California--free state – Territories of Utah and New Mexico have popular sovereignty (choose for yourself) – Slave trade to be prohibited in District of Columbia – New law to help slave owners regain their runaway slaves – Fugitive Slave Law (next slide)

8

9 Fugitive Slave Law Agents hired to seize slaves with help from federal officials Judge would rule if slaves could be taken back – Judge paid $10 if taken back, $5 if slave went free $1000 fine for helping slaves escape

10 Kansas Nebraska Act –Stephen Douglas Created the territories of Kansas and Nebraska – Popular sovereignty to decide slavery issue in each state – Unpopular in the North because they didn’t want slavery to expand to the territories Kansas becomes “Bleeding Kansas” – Voting became a free for all--people out of state voted – Beecher’s Bibles-- rifles and ammunition – Sack of Lawrence A posse of 750 southerners entered Lawrence, disarmed the citizens, wrecked the town's antislavery presses, and destroyed the Free State Hotel Raid on Pottawatomie Creek by John Brown when he heard about the Sack of Lawrence

11 Henry Ward Beecher and family

12 John Brown’s Raid Attacked a gov’t arsenal at Harper’s Ferry, Virginia Tried to obtain a supply of weapons to arm slaves and lead them to revolt Captured by Col. Robert E. Lee and hanged*

13 John Brown Pictures

14 Harper’s Ferry Before After

15 More Issues Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1852)--Harriet Beecher Stowe Formation of the Republican Party (1854)--Anti-Slavery – Northern Whigs, Free Soilers, Democrats Dred Scott Decision (1859) – Scott sued for his freedom on the basis that he had been a resident in a free state – Judge Taney ruled that Scott was a slave (property) and could not bring a suit in a federal court Harriet Beecher Stowe Dred Scott

16 Journal Entry Today, Americans believe that slavery is morally wrong because it robs people of their liberty. Calhoun and other white southern planters believed that stopping slavery was morally wrong, because it interfered with their liberty to own enslaved people as property. Government they believed, should protect this liberty. Do you think Calhoun’s argument was valid?


Download ppt "Slavery and the Prelude to War. Railroads Geography tobacco Textile Europe Farms Factories slave Harbors Banks Tools Slavery cotton Philadelphia Tools."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google