Presentation on theme: "Racism – A History. Year 12 Internal Assessment 2.1 AS91229 4 Credits Carry out an inquiry of an historical event or place that is of significance to."— Presentation transcript:
Racism – A History
Year 12 Internal Assessment 2.1 AS Credits Carry out an inquiry of an historical event or place that is of significance to New Zealanders
This assessment is underpinned by the topic we have been studying of racism and eugenics that we have been studying in class. Based on the BBC documentary series: Racism a History
2.1 Topics The topic for study is the: 1881 Immigration Restriction Act - concerning Chinese migration to New Zealand OR 1981 Dawn Raids -concerning the forced removal of Pacific Islanders from New Zealand (or any other suitable topic – but you must discuss it with your teacher first)
Tasks 1.Define the area of inquiry – title, dates, and… an abstract – a brief outline of the topic
2. Focusing questions – will be discussed in class, but should be individualised Key words which will be very helpful to you as you formulate your focusing questions are: perspective cause consequence useful Reliable (these are the words from the standard)
3. Source sheet – where to find ‘stuff’
4. Planning – required but often not done well
5. Select evidence and organise it – highlight and annotate
6. Evaluation – done in class on the due date
If you work hard on the 2.1 (research folder) you will be able to answer the 2.6 (essay) using the same information… 2.6 AS91234 Examine how a significant historical event affected New Zealand society external 5 credits!
For the 2.6 you must examine a New Zealand event and write about how society ie people were affected – using specific evidence.
The 2.6 wants you to look at short/long term affects
AND/OR Social/political/economic impact
Markers will also be looking for: importance of the event to people at the time how deeply their lives were affected how many lives were affected how long did the affects last affects still visible today
You ‘could’ answer the 2.5 on the same topic. The 2.5 concerns the causes and consequences of an event.
So, lots of hard work and dedication could potentially cover 15 credits this year. Good Luck!