Presentation on theme: "Ferguson Township Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Stormwater Management Program (Our MS4 Story) April 6, 2015 Board of Supervisors Meeting."— Presentation transcript:
1Ferguson Township Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Stormwater Management Program (Our MS4 Story) April 6, 2015 Board of Supervisors Meeting
2NPDES - Phase II MS4 Permit National Pollution Discharge Elimination SystemMunicipalSeparateStormSewerSystemWho Has a Permit?
4What Does Our Permit Require? Implement a Stormwater Management Program (including SWM Ordinance)Minimum Control MeasuresTrack progress toward goalsDocument, Document, DocumentReport on our progressDevelop and Implement a Chesapeake Bay Pollution Reduction Plan (CBPRP)
5Stormwater Management Program Minimum Control Measures 1. Public Education and Outreach2. Public Involvement and Participation3. Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination4. Construction Site Runoff Management5. Post-Construction Stormwater Management6. Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
61. Public Education and Outreach Develop a written Public Education & Outreach Program (PEOP)Send Out Educational Material & Track Who Gets It.
7PEOP Strategies Newsletters – 2 per year to all property owners Brochure – “Stormwater Pollution Prevention” with all zoning permitsPosters in lobby and main meeting roomSpring Creek Watershed MapFact Sheets – newsletter and websiteStorm Drain Stenciling Option
82. Public Involvement and Participation Develop Written Public Involvement/Participation Plan (PIPP)Provide Opportunities for Public Involvement,:Spring Creek Watershed Cleanup DayInlet Stenciling ProjectHold 1 Public Meeting Per Year
9PIPP Strategies for Notification Legal Notices of public meetings - CDTOptional Press ReleasesWebsite (www.twp.ferguson.pa.us/stormwater-management/)NewsletterElectronic Mailing via Constant Contact
10PIPP Strategies for Participation Partner with Public Work Groups / CommitteesClearwater ConservancySCWCStorm Drain LabelingVolunteer Water Quality MonitoringVolunteer Clean-Up ProgramsPublic Meeting
113. Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Permit Holders must test dry weather flow:Track down illicit discharge (IDDE)Ordinance allows for citation for non-complianceMaintain Storm System MapReport any sighting of illicit discharge to Township Engineer
12IDDE Strategies Maintain Storm Sewer System Map GIS MapUpdate for Development / Capital ProjectsProhibit Illegal DischargesOutfall ScreeningsInvestigate ComplaintsProcedure to Eliminate Illicit Discharge
134. Construction Site Runoff Management This portion of our Stormwater Management Program is administered by DEP.Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Centre County Conservation District (CCCD)
15PCSM Strategies Maintain Map of BMPs Inspection of BMPs All Permitted BMPs since 2003Separate folders for each projectInspection of BMPsUpdated inventory (2014) 64 sites, 85 BMPs and counting……Inspect 25% each year ( )Enforcement per OrdinanceTracking
166. Pollution Prevention / Good Housekeeping BMP#1 – Develop a Written Prevention Pollution/Good Housekeeping Program – (PPGHP)BMP#2 – Develop/Implement/Maintain Written Operation & Maintenance Program (O&M)BMP#3 – Develop/Implement an Employee Training Program for Appropriate TopicsTraining provided to: All municipal employees, contractors, elected officials, police & fire responders, volunteers and contracted personnel - ANNUALLY
18Chesapeake Bay Pollution Reduction Plan (CBPRP) Objective – Implement BMPs to produce tangible improvements to the quality of stormwater discharges in the Chesapeake Bay WatershedPlan Components –TMDL Design Details – N/A for now….Describe Drainage AreaPlanned Infrastructure UpgradesControl Measures to reduce pollutants
19Component of CBPRP Planned Infrastructure Upgrades Westfield / Hillside ParkConstruct Infiltration Basin for Water QualityFerguson Township Building Equipment Storage StructureUtilize existing BMPs for Water Quality
20Component of CBPRP Control Measures to Reduce Pollutants Establish / Protect Riparian BuffersZoning OrdinanceTree PlantingStreet Trees and Park TreesRecharge / Infiltration FacilitiesInvestigate Pine Hall Natural Recharge AcquisitionOther control measures that we do not participate in, for now…….
21Summary - Updates to SMMP Open Discussion Include Written Section on Construction Site Runoff administered by DEP.Include Written Section on CBPRPFuture Strategies for Orphan/Neglected BMPs?Other Suggestions?