Presentation on theme: "History of Schaumburg Created By: Luke Liu, Rutvik Shah, Samuel Shore, Dan Murphy, Ryan Jasinski, Suman Venkataswamy, Julie Serwy, Shazia Sarwar, Matthew."— Presentation transcript:
History of Schaumburg Created By: Luke Liu, Rutvik Shah, Samuel Shore, Dan Murphy, Ryan Jasinski, Suman Venkataswamy, Julie Serwy, Shazia Sarwar, Matthew Tyrpin, Vishal Naik, Aimen Alam “Progress Through Thoughtful Planning”
1950’s First board meeting- March 7 th 1956. 1956- Northwest Tollway was constructed. Louis Redeker is elected Schaumburg’s first village president. At the time of incorporation (1956), the Village of Schaumburg consisted of two square miles and had a population of 130 people. In 1959, the Campenelli brothers began construction of the first large residential subdivision in Schaumburg. The military base at O’Hare field was converted into a major airfield in 1955.
Bob Atcher Schaumburg’s second Mayor Elected in 1959 Served for 16 years Without doubt, he is one of the greatest citizens in Schaumburg’s history. Bob Atcher pushed for the incorporation of Schaumburg prior to 1956. Married to Maggie Atcher. Was once a charismatic singing cowboy. Retired in 1989 with Maggie Atcher.
1960’s “A place where families could work, shop, attend school, and enjoy cultural and recreational activities” The per capita income in 1969 was $3,755 1960- Martin Conroy became the first village employee In 1961, the Village of Schaumburg Center shortened its name to Schaumburg Schaumburg Women’s Club is incorporated in 1961 Schaumburg’s first jail was built in September 5 th 1963 The Schaumburg Township District Library system was founded in 1963 1964- Schaumburg air port is annexed Boy’s baseball League play begins in 1965 Developed in the late 1960’s, the Town Square Shopping Center was designed with an old fashioned theme. Roselle Airfield before annexation in 1964
1960’s “A place where families could work, shop, attend school, and enjoy cultural and recreational activities” 1964- Schaumburg air park is annexed. Boy’s baseball League play begins in 1965. The Department of Health was created in 1966. Schaumburg Jaycees founded in 1966. 1967- Motorola constructs its world headquarters in Schaumburg Bob Atcher & Alfred Campanelli working to lay out a plan for Schaumburg communities.
1960’s “A place where families could work, shop, attend school, and enjoy cultural and recreational activities” 1967- Pritzker Family and Centex Corporation acquire 587 acres of land in what is now called Spectrum Industrial Park. 1967- the International Village apartment complex opened as Schaumburg's first multiple- family housing development. The YMCA was founded in 1968. the Harper College campus is completed in 1969. Construction on Woodfield Mall began in 1969. Housing boomed in the 1960’s Mayor Bob Atcher fulfills his dream of a “suburban downtown.”
Ellsworth Meineke One of Schaumburg’s founding fathers. Dedicated naturalist. In 1973, he worked hard to pass a referendum that included funds for acquiring lands in Spring Valley and convinced his friend Bob Atcher to commit $100,000 towards additional land purchases. In 1974, the Spring Valley Nature club was formed, and was Ellsworth Meineke’s brainchild. The Meineke Recreational Center is named after him.
1970’s Fulfilling the dream of the original founders. Schaumburg becomes a great municipality! Population: 18,730 The population grew by 1899.5 percent from the last decade. Schaumburg High school is established in 1970. Interstate 290 is built in 1970. Ellsworth Meineke plants seeds for Spring valley. Schaumburg Festival of Arts raises funds for community theatre. Friendship Village is founded in 1974. Since 1971, Schaumburg Residents have enjoyed Septemberfest, held over labor day weekend. Apartments played a key role in the planning of Schaumburg.
1970’s Schaumburg becomes a great municipality! By 1974, the population has doubled from roughly 18 thousand to 36 thousand Harper College becomes accredited in 1971 Schaumburg Municipal center is completed in 1974 Ordinance # 1095. The Schaumburg Athletic Association is formed in 1975 1978- The Village Board established the Olde Schaumburg Centre Overlay District We Have come a long way! Schaumburg & Roselle before incorporation. Schaumburg & Roselle (1970) Schaumburg Municipal Center finished in 1974.
1970’s Schaumburg becomes a great municipality! Public Safety Building ground is broken in 1975 It was completed in 1976 John Coste is first Village Manager In 1977, Olde Schaumburg Centre historic district formed at the intersection of Roselle and Schaumburg In 1978, over 2 million square feet is approved for office development Fire station #3 is dedicated in 1979 ground is broken on Park District recreation complex is 1979 Lloyd Abrahamsen was hired in 1970 to take charge of an all volunteer force. He became Schaumburg’s first fire chief.
1980’s Growth and prosperity! Population: 53,305 Between the 70’s and 80’s, Schaumburg experienced its largest population boom, increasing by 34,575 people. 1983- The 3 rd Street Theater is closed down. Schaumburg Establishes sister relationship with Schaumburg, Germany. 1987- Al Larson is elected Village President. Theaters built inside Woodfield mall. They closed in 2000. The Woodfield Corporate Center, completed in 1986 Al Larson, center, is our Village President today.
1980’s Growth and prosperity! The Schaumburg Golf Club, formerly known as Golden Acres, was purchased in 1989. 1980 – Comprehensive bikeways program begun. 1981 – Schaumburg Park District Recreation Center opens. 1982 – Commuter railroad station opens. 1983 – Construction begins on Schaumburg senior citizen housing complex. Schaumburg’s Town Center as it was in 1985 Bob and Maggie Atcher retiring in 1989
1980’s Growth and prosperity! Village begins broadcasting on Cablenet Channel 63 in 1984. Northwest Toll way Interchange at Roselle Road opens in 1985. Schaumburg Prairie Center for the Arts is completed in 1986. Village annexes the 480 acre Odlum Farm property on the west side of the village. The Schaumburg Sister Cities Commission has facilitated a number of exchanges between Schaumburg and Schaumburg Lippe
1990’s Prosperity through Expansion! Racial composition of Schaumburg in 1990 90.6% Caucasian 6.4% Asian 2.2% African American 0.8% Other Schaumburg Municipal Helistop is opened. Medieval times opens in 1991. The Elgin O’Hare Expressway opened in 1993. Population and commercial growth slowed, but still enjoyed substantial expansion. The Village finalized the purchase of the Town Square shopping center in 1995, allowing for redevelopment. Village renovates and re-opens Schaumburg Regional Airport.
1990’s Prosperity through Expansion! Formerly Roselle Field, the Village of Schaumburg purchased it and it was renovated into Schaumburg Regional airport in 1995 Ikea opens a 458,000 foot store in the Woodfield Regional Center in the late 1990’s. The Municipal Center was renamed the Robert O. Atcher Center in 1995. Al Larson is re-elected Village President in 1995. Schaumburg Establishes sister city relationship with Namerikawa, Japan.
1990’s Prosperity through Expansion! Opened in 1998, the Schaumburg Township District Library is 166,500 square feet and is the cornerstone of Town Square. Roosevelt University opens its Robins Campus in old Unocal headquarters 1997- One Schaumburg Place begins remodeling and changes name to Streets of Woodfield 1995- The Illinois Art Institute at Schauaumburg joined the Art Institutes organization
Schaumburg Flyers Officially organized in 1998 Alexian Field began construction in 1998 On July 23 rd, the team was named at a “name the team” party They are preparing to play their 8 th season this spring In September of 2002 Jim Rushford becomes first ex Flyer to reach the Major Leagues. Rushford debuted at Wrigley Field for the Milwaukee Brewers. Manager: Andy McCauley Pitching Coach: Brett Gray Coach: Bruce Gray
21 st Century A Community, and great place to live! 2000- The village purchased 45 acres of land at the northeast corner of Interstate 90 and Meacham road. 65% of Schaumburg’s income comes from sales tax. 32% of Schaumburg’s revenues goes towards the Police Department. Woodfield trolley service is offered in Woodfield regional center starting in 2000. The Street Rehabilitation Program is completed in 2004. Racial demographics have become more diverse by the 21 st century: 78.8% Caucasian 14.2% Asian 3.4% African American 5.3% Latino 6.5 Asian Indian 3.7% Other
21 st Century A Community, and great place to live! The Volkening Farm, recently vacated, was used for a training facility. The windy point and Wood field preserve office buildings were constructed in 2000. In 2002, Schaumburg fire engines were upgraded for Advanced Life support. An American Celebration concert and fireworks show was held at Alexian Field in 2003. District 54 pushes to put 100 books in every classroom. 2003 Saw Schaumburg’s largest Farmer’s Market ever, featuring 23 vendors. School District 211 passes a referendum in 2005.
District 211 High school education in the Palatine- Schaumburg Township area began in 1875, with the first graduating class in 1877 Schaumburg High school opened in 1970 On October 19, 1974, district residents approved a $22 million referendum which provided funds for a sixth high school and upgrades 1993-1994 Presidential Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence in Education
District 54 1954- Schaumburg formed elementary school district 54 21 Elementary schools 5 Junior High schools Superintendent- Ed Rafferty Staff of 1,500, including 1,100 certified teachers Student teacher ratio: 14:1 District 15 also covers areas of Schaumburg The District 54 school board- 2005: Peggy Brothman (President), Bill Harper (Vice President), Charlotte Kegarise (Secretary), Melissa Hutchinson, Barbara Hengels, Teresa Huber, and Karen Strykowski
Schaumburg Park District Incorporated in 1963 local government entity completely separate from any other governmental authority Parks and picnic areas totaling over 1000 acres 5 aquatic facilities Atcher Island, Waterworks, and Meineke are the most popular 4 fitness centers, the CRC, Meineke, Sport Center, and Tennis Plus Golf- Schaumburg Gold Club and Walnut greens Several athletics leagues including lacrosse, baseball, soccer, and softball 53 outdoor fields and many recreational opportunities Board of Commissioners: Robert Schmidt, Second Vice President; David Johnson, Nancy Wroblewski, Treasurer; George Longmeyer, President; Mike Daniels, Secretary.
Spring Valley Nature Center Founded in 1974 By Ellsworth Meineke 135 acres of fields, forests, marshes and streams. 3 miles of handicapped-accessible hiking trails and a museum with natural history displays and information. The Vera Meineke Nature Center An Earth sheltered passive solar visitor center Natural history library The Nature Club is a non-profit service organization that supports Spring Valley financially and promotes environmental education
Schaumburg’s Future Schaumburg is expected to grow to a population of nearly 84,000 with an employment force of 130,000 by the year 2020 Projections indicate Schaumburg will contain 33,900 housing units, 11,700,000 square feet of retail and commercial area, 18,000,000 square feet of office space, and over 15,600,000 square feet of industrial space The Renaissance center, to be completed July 2006