Presentation on theme: "MORPHOLOGY OF THE FOLKTALE"— Presentation transcript:
1MORPHOLOGY OF THE FOLKTALE VLADIMIR PROPPBy Ema Ramot
2MORPHOLOGYis a description of the tale according to its component parts and the relationship of these components to each other and to the whole
3LINEAR SEQUENTIAL STRUCTURE Follows the cronological order of the linear sequence of elements in the text as reported from an informant.
4FUNCTIONS OF DRAMATIS PERSONAE Limited – 31 functionsA large number arranged in pairs (prohibition – violation)In groups (villainy – dispatch – decision for counteraction – departure)Individual (absentation, punishment, marriage)
51. ABSENTATIONOne of the members of a family absents himself from home(goes on a distant journey, visiting, fishing, for a walk)
62. INTERDICTION A prohibition is addressed to the hero (you dare not look into the closet)
73. VIOLATION OF INTERDICTION The prohibition is violateda new personage enters the tale – the villain (a dragon, a witch)
84. RECONNAISSANCEIt has the aim of finding out the location of children, precious objects.....
95. DELIVERYThe villain receives information about his victim (directly receives an answer, a dialogue between the stepmother and the mirror)
10TRICKERYThe villain attempts to deceive the victim in order to take possession of him or his belongings (the villain assumes a disguise, uses persuasion, applies magical means.....)
117. COMPLICITYThe victim submits to deception and unwittingly helps his enemy(interdictions are always broken and deceitful proposals are always accepted and fulfilled)
128. VILLAINY Complication is begun The villain causes harm or injury to a member of a family (abducts a person, takes away a magical agent, spoils the crops, causes bodily harm, causes a sudden disappearance, casts a spell.....)
138.a LACKOne member of a family either lacks something or desires to have something (wondrous objects, bride.....)
149. MEDIATION, THE CONNECTIVE INCIDENT Misfortune or lack is made known, the hero is approached with a request, he is allowed to go or is dispatched
1510. BEGINNING COUNTERACTION The seeker agrees to or decides upon counteraction
1611. DEPARTURE The hero leaves home A new character enters the tale – THE DONOR or THE PROVIDER (usually encountered accidentally)The seeker hero or the victim hero obtains some agent (usually magical) which permits the eventual liquidation of misfortune.
1712. THE FIRST FUNCTION OF THE DONOR The hero is tested, which prepares for his receiving a magical agent or a helper
1813. THE HERO`S REACTIONThe hero reacts to the actions of the future donor
1914. PROVISION OR RECEIPT OF A MAGICAL AGENT The hero acquires the use of magical agent
2015. SPATIAL TRANSFERENCE BETWEEN TWO KINGDOMS, GUIDANCE The hero is transferred, delivered or led to the whereabouts of an object of search
2116. STRUGGLEThe hero and the villain join in direct combat
2217. BRANDING, MARKINGThe hero is branded (receives a wound, a princess brands the hero on the forehead with a signet ring.....)