3. Predict (pre) (dict) –To hear before –To say before –To write before
4. When a driver’s license is revoked (re) (vok), it is: --taken back --called back --looking forward
5. When you win your first trophy, your name will be inscribed on the brass plate. –Called in –Written in –Seen by all
6. The counselor advised me about colleges. –To call toward –To see toward –To write toward
Combine a prefix and root 7.Did your (VIS) ___________ check your work? 8. I’d rather be a (SPECT) ___________ than a participant in sports. 9. The doctor will (SCRIBE) ________ new medicine. 10. No one can (DICT) _________ the future.
ROOTONYM--DICT 1. A book containing a selection of words of a language, usually arranged alphabetically. DICT__ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 2. Something that foretells the future; a prophecy. ___ ___ ___ DICT ___ ___ ___
ROOTONYM 3. Any judgment or decision. The findings of a jury. ___ ___ ___ DICT 4. To say or read aloud for a person to write or type. DICT ___ ___ ___
YOUR TURN Make four “rootonyms” for a root word that you learned today.
More Roots RootMeaningExample hydrowaterHydroplanehydroelectric Aqu-waterAquamarineaquarium Credcreed To believe Incrediblecreed
RootMeaningExample -mis- To send Transmissionmissionary -mit- Remitsubmit -port- To carry Transportportable
RootMeaningExample duct To lead Educateaquaduct pos To put position pon ComponentExponent
Try These 1. During summer, we (POS) ____ our skin to the sun. 2. The mean lady (DUC) __________ the child from his yard. 3. We must (PON) _______ the concert until Friday. ________________________ Choose from: composed, reduce, postpone, repose, expose, abducted
Flip a Chip 1. Four syllables=Four Words Example: re vision Pro spect 2. Flip your chip and record the words. RevisionRespectProvisionProspect 3. What do these words mean?
4. Write a paragraph using the four words: Out of _________ for Mrs. B., the students made a _____________ of the paragraphs that they submitted first semester. Because they knew the task would be difficult, the group decided to make a ___________ and get food to keep them alert. The sub sandwich looked like a good _____________ for dinner.