Presentation on theme: "Apologetics 2 UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN"— Presentation transcript:
Apologetics 2 UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
What is apologetics Apologetics comes from a Greek word “apologia” which means “Defense”. In general it means “Reasoned arguments or writings in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine”. It is a branch of theology that deals with the defense and establishment of the Christian faith. Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence," (1 Peter 3:15);1 Peter 3:15
You have to understand your faith to defend it
Key Doctrines To defend your faith, you must know what you and why you believe. There are key doctrines that you must know that cults distort and contend with; You must know what they believe in and prepare an answer in advance. You must learn from the field of the selling; You must know the authenticity of the Bible
What we contend with The Muslims: Jesus is just a prophet and that there many contradictions in the Bible; The Atheist who say there is no God; The Marmon's who deny the virgin birth of Christ; The Jehovah’s witness who deny the existence of the trinity; The SDAs who want you to follow they law they don’t.
1. The Nature of God There is only one God (Deut 6;4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8, 45:5a But he exists in three persons Gen 1:26; 11;1-7; There are more than 60 passages in the Bible that mention three persons together (Math 3:16-17; 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph 4:4-6) Some consider God as only one who exits as Jesus, Holy Spirit and God the father (Jesus Only) Others think of several Gods; Some say there is only one God, Jesus is his son the Holy Spirit is just a force.
2. The Deity of Christ Many cults deny the divinity of Christ. Some contend he was just a good prophet, He is a God with a small g (Jehovah’s Witnesses; He was just a greatest teacher whoever lived. If he is not God why is the Creator of all things (John 1:1-5; Col.1:15; 3:9) God called him God; (Heb 1:6-8) Philip called him God (John 20:28) Paul Called him God Acts 20:28
Many people say different things about who Jesus was Matthew 16:13-17 Muslims believe that Jesus was one of Islam’s many prophets, a good and holy man, but certainly not the Son of God. Mormons believe that God created Jesus through a relationship with one of His celestial wives. In fact, according to the Mormon publication, Pearl of Great Price, even Satan himself was a son of God, and a brother of Jesus, equal with Jesus in nature. [Book of Moses, Chapter 4, Verses 1-4] Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was, and is, merely an angel who is just one of many “gods” that they say exist. To underscore their belief that Jesus is not Almighty God, they give Jesus the title “god” but with a small “g” in their self-published New World Translation of the Bible (see John 1:1).
What different People Say about Jesus Most adherents to the New Age Movement believe that Jesus was a great enlightened teacher who realized that He was God, just like we all can realize we are God. Hindus believe that Jesus was one of many great and holy men. Many Hindus believe that Jesus was a good teacher and perhaps one of their 330 million avatars. An avatar is an incarnation of the impersonal, supreme being that Hindus believe fills the universe. Buddhists believe that Jesus was an enlightened man. God? No.
3. The Holy Spirit is God Many cults do not believe in the Holy Spirit as God; Acts 5:3-4 equates the Holy Spirit to God; A number of scriptures that were associated with Jehovah in the Old Testament were actually spoken by the Holy Spirit: Compare Heb 10:15,16 with Jer 31:33; Act 28:25-27 with Isaiah 6:5, 9-10; Heb 3: 7-9 with Ps 95:8-11 & Ex 16:7.
3. Christ’s Virgin Birth Because of the nature of his birth he did not inherit the sinful nature; Others contend of the virgin birth; Others say he was just an ordinary person with a father and mother; If had the human nature he would not be sinless and he would not save us.
4. Christ humanity Some people contend that how can Christ be both divine and human; Heb 2: 14-18; If he was not human he would not save us and if he was not divine he would not save us; Because only God is without sin. Phi 2: 5-11
5. Human depravity Human depravity means that every human is spiritually separated from God and totally incapable of saving himself Some people think they will be saved by good works Eph 2: 11-13; Roman 3:23
6. Salvation is only in Christ Depravity of man (Rom. 3:23); Salvation is Through his atoning blood The necessity of grace through faith (Eph. 2:1-9) Act 4:12 salvation is in no other name but Jesus False religions and cults substitute salvation with works, being good and other persons; Giving arms, purgatory, worship on the Sabbath
7. Christ’s Bodily Resurrection and ascension Christ never died; somebody else was killed; He left and got married
8. Heaven & Hell There also issues about heaven; Heaven is on earth; There is no heaven but you just reborn (Reincarnation) There is no hell, once you die that is the end.
APOLOGETICS 4 SIX CATEGORIES OF FALSE TEACHINGS
1. Revelation They teach a doctrine distort, deny or add to scripture These doctrines are taught in order to mislead people to destruction. They will make false claims on apostolic or prophetic authority. 1.Mormonism: John Smith is the prophet according to the book of Mormonism. 2.Jehovah's Witnesses: God only speaks only to small class of anointed people. 3.SDA’s: Ellen G. White as God’s end time prophet.
2. False Teachings about God False religions and cults teach doctrines that distort the nature of God; Or teach about false gods; Mormonism: There are many gods, and God the father was once a man. Jehovah’s Witnesses: No trinity only God the father. Oneness Pentecostals: The trinity is false – Jesus is father, son and Holy Spirit.
3. Denying the Lordship of Jesus They deny the Lordship of Christ; They also deny the his genuine humanity JW’s: Christ was the first Michael Archangel then he became a perfect man – not God in flesh. Mormonism: Jesus is not born of a virgin because God has his father and Mary the father in physical sense. Unification Church: Rev Moon is the new messiah – greater than Jesus
4. Salvation The propagate teachings that legalism as way of salvation; They promote license to sin; They deny the Christ’s death and resurrection. Mormonism: Salvation is by achieving personal worthiness and belief in Joseph Smith as God’s appointed Prophet. JW’s: salvation is through serving in Jehovah’s one true organization, the Watch Tower.
5. False Teachings about the Church They deliberately attempt to lead away people from the fellowship of true Christians; There is also an utter rejection of the church; Mormonism – all Christian churches are false and an abomination to God; Branhamism: all Christians must leave the churches and follow William Branham, God’s true end-time prophet.
6. False Teachings about the future Cults and false religions like to make false predictions about the future; The make claims about Jesus returns; Jehovah’s witness falsely predicted Christ’s return in 1874, 1914, and Armageddon: 1941, 1975.