Presentation on theme: " Discuss the development of “The Sandwich” as an American staple Introduce Apprentice Task Number 3."— Presentation transcript:
Discuss the development of “The Sandwich” as an American staple Introduce Apprentice Task Number 3
Who invented the sandwich and when remains a matter for debate Let’s take a closer look at what lies between the layers
The 4th Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu ( ) is said to have eaten salted meat and bread during his distinguished naval careerJohn Montagu According to food historian Solomon Katz, he may have first coined the term Solomon Katz
The Dutch added the butter and the sandwich soon increased in popularity in Europe and beyond. Later, when the Industrial Revolution got underway, it became a convenient and portable snack for the workforce
The earliest concept of the sandwich belongs to Neolithic times when meat and herbs were wrapped in unleavened bread. The Middle Ages saw slabs of bread (trenchers) used to soak up food, the idea caught on among the aristocracy as a late night snack
- evolved from the medieval trencher. While there are many interesting interpretations of the open model, none of them are technically sandwiches which need two slices of bread around an enclosed filling.
- was first mentioned in print in 1903, and consisted of three toasted layers, including chicken, lettuce, mayonnaise, tomato and bacon. The name may have come from an earlier two-layered version matching the two- decker railway "club" cars running in the US at the time
(bacon, lettuce & tomato) - a variant of the club sandwich originating in North America
- many layered and overstuffed, as preferred by the USA character of the same name in the filmstrip "Blondie" first portrayed in 1936.
- originated in the southern states of USA and is of substantial cylindrical design, made of French bread and various fillings which aimed to satisfy the appetite of the poor.
- popular in American Delis and elsewhere
The Apprentice Task 3
Task # 3: The Corner Sandwich Project
TEAMS : A new project manager should be selected for this task. MISSION : Your first task is to design a new prototype sandwich for The Corner Pub & Grill. TASK: You must then design a promotional campaign for your new prototypesandwich. The campaign must include three types of advertising.
Please review the website and be prepared to discuss the following questions in class: Who/What is The Corner Pub & Grill? What makes The Corner unique? The Corner Pub & Grill - St. Louis
1. Determine your target market 2. Design a new prototype sandwich for The Corner 3. Determine your promotional objectives (message) 4. Design a promotional campaign that promotes the new sandwich for The Corner. 5. The promotional campaign must include three types of advertising. (I.E. Print, Broadcast, Website, Direct Mail, Special Event, or viral marketing strategy, etc…..)
Promotion: Make a prototype of your sandwich. Design a PowerPoint that contains all of the criteria. Use that PowerPoint to make a presentation to the Marketing II class. JUDGING : The project will be judged by a member of The Corner Pub & Grill Management team.
Please work with your group for the rest of the class period and brainstorm for new dessert ideas. You will present this project on March 7 th & 8th.