Presentation on theme: "& Community Design LSU Green Laws Research Project Green Laws Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry EBR Parish Tree And Landscape Commission Louisiana."— Presentation transcript:
& Community Design LSU Green Laws Research Project Green Laws Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry EBR Parish Tree And Landscape Commission Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry EBR Parish Tree And Landscape Commission Photographs: Live Oak Gardens Ltd. Abbey Associates Landscape Architects ti tl e Daniel Raggio cover
Community Landscape Codes Landscape codes or green laws are special parts of a community’s zoning ordinance. Certain provisions are written to influence the design of parking facilities and make improvements to the environment of urban areas Notable codes include New York City, Gainesville, Florida, Cary, North Carolina, Davis, California, Portland, Oregon, Charleston, South Carolina, Austin, Texas, New Holland, Illinois, Dublin, Ohio Gross Ile Township, Michigan Annapolis, Maryland and Mandeville, Louisiana require improvements to parking lot environments.
Open Space Planting Requirements Most codes require a specified amount of open space for the purpose of planting trees or allowing permeable space to soak up storm water or trap sediments. Open space planting is often measured by canopy coverage or by DBH measure. DBH measure equates to the quantity of trees on a site.
Purpose of Open Space Planting Requirements Re-establish the urban forest following development Require a specified amount of open space for the purpose of planting trees or allowing permeable space to soak up storm water or trap sediments Determine that an appropriate percentage of the site remain “permeable” and plantable
Types of Requirements Lot sizes reduced but must be compensated by an equivalent area as open space. At least 40 percent of the subdivision must be provided as open space to obtain a density of 2.3 units per net acre. The minimum size of such active recreation space shall be the number of square feet derived by multiplying gross land area by the applicable ratio
Code Writing Essentials Purpose Open space for planting trees or for permeable space to soak up water Location On development site, access to amenities Size length, width, height, acreage, lot size Design Composition Relation to existing lot size or development Plant Specifications native, deciduous, evergreen, spacing, growth rate, existing Related Elements Recreation, open space, permeability,
Typical Code Specs City of Gwinnett One (1) tree for each 25 linear feet of strip length shall be provided. Deciduous trees shall be at least 2 inches in diameter and evergreen trees shall be 6 feet in height at time of planting. Trees shall be a species native or suitable to this region. On each property for which a Tree Preservation and/or Replacement Plan is required, existing trees shall be retained and/or new trees shall be planted such that the property shall attain or exceed a Tree Density Standard of 16 Tree Density Units per acre, exclusive of any acreage within a zoning buffer and any trees required to be preserved or planted within a zoning buffer and except any other land area allowed to be excluded by this article.
Typical Code Specs City of Chapel Hill Required buffers shall be located along the interior or street lot lines nearest the adjacent streets, land uses, or zoning designations except where such lot lines are intersected by crossing accessways or utility easements, or by a joint parking area. Buffers shall not be located on any portion of an existing or proposed street right-of-way or easement. No tree greater than six (6) inches in diameter at breast height (DBH) shall be removed for the purpose of surveying without a permit issued by the town manager approving such action.
Typical Code Specs City of Charleston One canopy tree shall be provided for each 50 linear feet of parking, loading or vehicular use area perimeter. These trees may be used to satisfy the interior parking lot landscaping requirements. All trees with a diameter breast height (DB(h) of 6 inches or greater within buffers shall be preserved. Paved areas shall not constitute more than 25 percent of the protected area beneath a tree. Any paving, grading, trenching, or filling within the remaining 75 percent of the protected area must be approved by the Planning Director and may require specific construction techniques be used in order to preserve the health of the tree.
References City of Gwinnett, Georgia Land Use Management, Appendix A, Article 5.6, Landscaping Screening and Buffering City of Charleston, South Carolina Development Standards, Appendix A, Zoning and Land Development Regulations, Article 9.5, Landscaping Screening and Buffering City of Chapel Hill, North Carolina Land Use Management Appendix A, Design and Development Standards, Article 5