Presentation on theme: "By Jacob W. 1. A psychoactive drug is a chemical that… A. makes you crazy. B. makes you healthy. C. affects the central nervous system and interferes."— Presentation transcript:
1. A psychoactive drug is a chemical that… A. makes you crazy. B. makes you healthy. C. affects the central nervous system and interferes with the normal functioning of the brain. D. helps you concentrate and do better in school.
Correct Answer Psychoactive drugs include: stimulants, depressants, narcotics, and hallucinogens. The first three types have some medicinal value if used properly. Hallucinogens have no medicinal use. When any of these drugs are abused, they can lead to serious health problems and even death.
2. Stimulants are drugs that… A. speeds up the central nervous system. B. slows down the central nervous. C. speeds up digestion. D. creates an irrational suspiciousness.
Correct Answer Stimulants are one type of psychoactive drug that speeds up the nervous system. Commonly abused stimulants are amphetamines, methamphetamine, and cocaine. Nicotine in tobacco products is a stimulant, as well as the caffeine in coffee, soda, tea, and chocolate.
3. Some people use amphetamines illegally to… A. stay awake and alert. B. to improve athletic performance and lose weight. C. to offset the effects of depressants. D. all of the above.
Correct Answer People use drugs like amphetamines for stupid reasons that most of the time can lead to injury or even death. People also abuse these drugs for a temporary high and for euphoria.
4. Euphoria is a… A. feeling of intense pain that will never go away. B. feeling of intense, temporary pain. C. feeling of intense wellbeing or elation. D. drug that veterinarians use to sedate animals.
Correct Answer Euphoria is one of the main reasons that people use drugs. People feel that getting high will make them feel better about life and will get them through the day. When people use more and more of the drug to feel good, they develop a psychological dependence on the drug.
5. What is methamphetamine, the stimulant, medically used for? A. treating diseases such as Parkinson’s and obesity. B. to cure paranoia. C. to help people fall asleep. D. to help people with anxiety.
Correct Answer This drug may be used for medical reasons but if used illegally it can cause a person to turn paranoid even violent. Methamphetamine can be made in labs, so it is readily available to be used illegally.
6. Cocaine comes from the ____? A. opium plant. B. cocoa bush. C. cannabis. D. none of the above.
Correct Answer The affects of cocaine can last from 20 minutes to several hours. Even though it is a stimulant, regular users suffer from depression. Other affects are edginess, and weight loss are do to the power of the stimulant and physical dependence is very common.
8. ____ is the form of cocaine that can be smoked. A. crack. B. meth. C. speed. D. ice.
Correct Answer Depressants are also known as sedatives. They relax muscles, relieve feelings of tension and worry, and bring on sleep. They slow down the heart, breathing rates, and even reduce blood pressure.
10. ____ is the most commonly used depressant. A. Cocaine. B. Meth. C. Alcohol. D. Amphetamines.
Correct Answer Alcohol is a psychoactive drug. It has an effect on the brain that comes in the form of relaxation or depression. Alcohol can easily cause a physical or psychological dependence that makes a person feel like he/she needs it.
11. Barbiturates belong to the family of drugs that induce sleepiness. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer Barbiturates can result in mood changes, more sleep than normal, or even a coma. They are rarely use for medical uses. They are used illegally to produce a feeling of intoxication or drunkenness.
12. Tranquilizers increase muscular activity, coordination, and attention span. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer Tranquilizers are seen in many forms. They help peoples with anxiety, muscle spasms, sleeplessness, and nervousness. However, sometimes they can be helpful, they can cause a physical and psychological dependence.
13. Methaqualone is a depressant used to reduce anxiety. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer The most commonly abused narcotics are morphine, heroin, opium itself, and codeine. Formerly, the term narcotic referred to drugs made from the opium poppy flower. These drugs are called opiates.
15. Opium is not a natural narcotic compound that is contained in opium. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer Morphine is natural and sometimes used to reduce severe pain. An example of severe pain is in terminal cancer patients. Morphine can also act as an appetite suppressant, cause severe constipation, and lead to addiction.
16. Codeine is a weaker cousin to morphine. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer Heroin is illegal. It is a depressant that depresses the central nervous system, slows breathing and pulse rate. Coma or death may occur with large doses and tolerance develops quickly.
18. Hallucinogens are drugs that alter the body’s nervous system. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer Hallucinogens are drugs that alter moods, thoughts, and sense perceptions, including vision, hearing, smell, and touch. People who have suffered from mental disorders such as schizophrenia suffer from hallucinations and other distorted perceptions of the world around them because of hallucinogens.
19. PCP is a powerful and dangerous hallucinogen. True True or FalseFalse
Correct Answer PCP is prepared synthetically and is considered to be one of the most dangerous of all drugs. Users report that PCP makes them feel distant and detached from their surroundings. Feelings that alter how people see themselves, like thinking they are super strong, may lead to death.
20. LSD is commonly referred to as angel dust. TrueTrue or FalseFalse
Correct Answer LSD is acid, PCP is angel dust. LSD is one of the most potent of all mood altering chemicals. LSD is a hallucinogen that comes in tablet, capsule, and sometimes liquid form. It is colorless, tasteless, and odorless. The most dangerous thing about LSD is that the effects are wildly unpredictable, which may lead to severe injury or even death.