Presentation on theme: "Pygmalion Language points. Correct all the sentences Eliza used in the play in terms of grammar, spelling, ect, so that she can use them properly: Act."— Presentation transcript:
Correct all the sentences Eliza used in the play in terms of grammar, spelling, ect, so that she can use them properly: Act One: 1. Come over here, captain, and buy some flowers from a poor girl. 2. I have not done anything wrong by speaking to that gentleman. 3. I thought maybe you were a policeman in disguise. 4. Why did you take down my words? How do I know whether you wrote down what I said accurately. Just show me what you wrote.
5. That isn’t proper writing. 6. What if I do? What business is it of yours? /Why is it any of your business? 7. A shop assistant? Now that is something that I would like to be. 8. How are you going to help me?
Act Two, Scene 1: 1.I would like to be a lady (working) in a flower shop instead of selling flowers in the street. But they won’t take me unless I speak better. 2. Now you are talking. 3. Oh you are really good. 4. I can’t. I daren’t.
What do these sentences mean? “She’s quite a common kind of girl with dirty nails.”a common kind of She’s no use at all. Take her away.no use I’m not asking any of favours - and he treats me like dirt.treats me like dirt. Oh, she is so deliciously low.deliciously low. But there’s another problem. Higgins. What are we going to do once the experiment is over?another problem
1.“Eliza is dirty, has no manners & speaks with poor English grammar.” “Eliza is dirty, has no manners & speaks with poor English grammar.” This is a rather rude way of describing someone you don’t approve of. Mrs Pearce means that Eliza is dirty, has no manners and speaks with poor English grammar.Eliza 2.In this speech Henry shows that he regards people asHenry (1) things rather than real persons (with thoughts and ideas of their own) ; (2) having no feelings (so he can treat them rudely)
3. To treat somebody like dirt is to behave as if somebody’s thoughts and opinions are not important and need to b e taken into account. It shows that Eliza does not like Henry’s behaviour and considers it rude.To treat somebody like dirt 4. This sentence refers to Eliza’s social position. Henry is enjoying meeting someone who shows all characteristics of a poorly educated person.Eliza’s social position 5. These two sentences show that Pickering has some concern for Eliza’s future. This shows that he is more gentlemanly and considerate. Henry’s refusal to consider the question shows that he is selfish and unconcerned with other people.
Act Two, Scene 2: 1.Thank you, sir! 2. Do you think I don’t know anything? 3. I can’t hear any difference except that it sounds more genteel-like when you say it. quiet and polite, often in an exaggerated way 显得彬 彬有礼的
Act three: 1.Eliza’s reply to Freddy’s question about the weather is spoken as if from a weather forecast. What she should say is: “It looks as if the rain is coming towards us from the west.” 2.“My aunt died of…”. This sentence shows Eliza has not yet mastered the correct way to discuss somebody’s death. Her language is too colloquial and the sort of conversation she would have used in her own home. It is not the kind of language used at a tea party and that’s why Freddy finds it funny.
3. “Yes, why would flu kill her when she recovered from diphtheria last year? I think someone killed her.” 4. What happened to her straw hat? What I think is that the person who killed her stole it. Her family would have killed her for anything, even a hat!” 5. “Not this time /No, I’d rather take a taxi.”
Pay attention to the following useful phrases & sentences: 1.a poor flower girl who is ambitious to improve herself 2.an expert in phonetics, convinced that the quality of a person’s English decides his/her position in society 3. an officer in the army and later a friend of Higgins’ who sets him a task. 4. It is pouring with rain and a man is hiding from the rain but watching people’s language and reactions.
Pay attention to the following useful phrases & sentences: 5. Nearby a flower girl is also sheltering from the rain. 6. …disappointed at the outcome but thinks it is better than nothing. 7. Simply phonetics studied and classified from people’s own speech. 8. But is there an income to be made in that? 9. Yes, indeed. Quiet a good one.
Pay attention to the following useful phrases & sentences: 10. They betray themselves every time they open their mouths. Now once taught by me… *** But she gives herself away with every sentence she speaks. (Act 3) 11. The English that will condemn her to the gutter to the end of her days. 12. But, sir, (proudly) once educated to speak properly, the girl could pass herself off in three months as a duchess at an ambassador’s garden party. (pass her off as a lady)
Pay attention to the following useful phrases & sentences: 13. And I came to England to make your acquaintance! 14. Henry Higgins and Colonel Pickering are sitting deep in conversation. 15. …only half resigned to it…. 16. This is a bit of luck. 还真是运气。 17.I’d never have come if I’d known about this disgusting thing you want to do to me. 18. …fades out as they go off stage together
Pay attention to the following useful phrases & sentences: 19. They sit and Eliza gets Henry’s slippers. 20. Eliza throws herself into a chair and sobs violently. 21. I’m nothing to you-worth less than those shoes. 22. I spent all hard-earned knowledge on you! 23. He treats a flower girl as is she were a duchess. 24. Tomorrow I want you to order the meat and buy me a new pair of gloves. I leave the colour to you.
1.…an expert in phonetics, convinced that the quality of a person’s English decides his/her position in society. 一位语音学专家，认定一个人的英语水平决定这 个人的社会地位。 (1) Convinced vt. to cause to believer or feel certain; to persuade 说服；使相信，说动 （某人） 我们说服了他坐火车去，不要搭飞机去。 ______________________________________ We convinced him to go by train rather plane.
(2)(be) convinced + of 短语 / that 从句意思是 “ 坚 信 …”;“ 确信 …” 。例如： 我确信他有罪。 _______________________________ =__________________________________. (3) convince (vt.) sb + of 短语 /that 从句， “ 使 … 坚 信 …”; “ 使 … 确信 …” 。 I am convinced of his guilt. I am convinced that he was guilty. 我不认为她的强作欢颜能使她父亲相信她在那 个小孤岛上过得开心。 I don’t think her forced smile____________________________________ ________________ on that small lonely is land. will convince her father that she lives happily
2. But they betray themselves every time they open their mouths. 但每次一张嘴说话，他们就 原形毕露。 betray oneself 无意中露出本性；背叛 相当多的人面对金钱的诱惑便原形毕露。 _________________________________ When tempted by money. Quite a lot of people will betray themselves
betray （ 1 ） vt. give away or make known 泄露（秘密）她 不会把他的秘密泄露给我。 他向所有的朋友透露了这个消息。 __________________________________. He betrayed the news to all his friends. （ 2 ） vt. to be disloyal or unfaithful to 出卖；背叛 他的最好的朋友背叛了他. __________________________________ His best friend betrayed him. 他背叛祖国，向敌人投降了. _________________________________. He betrayed his country to the enemy
(3) to be a sign of (sth. One would like to hide) 显露； 显示 他的脸显露出他很生气。 ____________________________________ betray + n. + to 出卖，背叛 betray +n.+ (to be)/-that 表示 “ 无意中显示，暴露 ” 名词形式 betrayal 如 an act of betrayal 背叛的行为 His face betrayed that he was angry.
3. Condemn vt. 谴责 (1)condemn sb. / sth. 谴责某人 / 某事 大部分人谴责任何形式的暴力行为。 ___________________________________. (2)be condemned to death / be sentenced to death 被判死刑 那个罪犯被判处死刑。 __________________________________ (3) condemn sb. to do sth. 判处某人服 … 刑 他的病使他被迫一直呆在床上。 ___________________________________ Most people condemn any sort of violence. The criminal was condemned to death. His illness condemned him to be in bed all the time.
4. pass …off as 冒充 她冒充自己是位有经验的演员。 ______________________________________. She passed herself as an experienced actress. pass off 逐渐消失；不加理会；（进展）顺利 pass away 去世 pass down/on 把 … 传给后世 pass out 昏过去；失去知觉 pass …on to 把 … 传递给 pass through 通过；穿过
5.acquaintance n. 相识 ; 了解 I have some acquaintance with the language. 我懂得这门语言. __________________________________ I made his acquaintance long ago. 我很久以前已经认识他了. ______________________________ 使某人了解 make one’s acquaintance / make the acquaintance of sb. 结识某人 be familiar with / be acquainted with 对 … 熟悉 acquaint sb. with
6. a handful of 一把，少数的（人） 我给了那个男孩一把糖。 ______________________________________ 我们邀请了 12 人，但只有几个人来。 ___________________________________________ I gave the boy a handful of sweets. We invited 12, but only a handful of them came. a basketful a bagful of a mouthful of a pocketful of 一篮子 一书包 一口 一袋
7. in amazement 惊讶地 当她撕烂那张合同然后仍掉的时候, 我们都惊 讶地望着她。 _______________________as she tore up the contract and threw it. We watched in amazement 使我惊奇的是，我得了一等奖。 ____________________________________ to one’s amazement 使某人惊奇的是 To my amazement I got the first prize.
8. Generally speaking, people are more polite to those whom they think are of higher social class. 总的来说，人们对那些他们认为属于较高社会阶层 的人更礼貌一些。 (1) 本句中的 of 表示 ” 从属 ” 关系。例如： 物以类聚，人以群分。 Birds of a feather flock together.
(2) be of + 形容词 + 抽象名词 =be + 副词 + 与该抽象 名词同根的形容词。例如： 我所说的非常重要。 What I said is of great importance. = What I said is very important. 可用于以上结构的抽象名词及相对应的形容词有： ability-able, help-helpful, importance-important, interest-interesting, significance-significant, use- useful, value- valuable
9.superior superior 作为形容词有两大用法： 1) 作为普通形容词，意为 “ 傲慢的 ” 。例如： 我讨厌他那傲慢的态度。 ____________________________ I hate his superior manner. 2) 作为暗含比较级的形容词，意为 ” 较高级 ” 、 “ 较 好的 ” 、 “ 较 … 为优秀的 ” 。由于 superior 本身隐 含着比较意义，因此不能在前面再加 more 。在 与另一事物进行比较时，与之搭配的介词要用 to, 不能 than 。例如：
约翰逊的数学比王先生好。 Johnson ________________Mr. Wang in mathematics. 与 superior 用法相同的词还有 inferior, senior, junior, prior 等。比 … 优越，不屈服于 be superior to 低于 be inferior to 比 … 年长 be senior to 比 … 年轻 be junior to 例如： 青铜不如金子。 _______________________ 他比我小很多岁。 ________________________by many years. 我母亲在结婚前曾经是电工。 __________________, my mother was an electrician. is superior to Brass is inferior to gold. He is junior to me Prior to her marriage
10. in terms of 有两个意思 : 一个意为 “ 根据 ” 、 “ 依 照 ” ；另一个意为 “ 以 … 的措辞 ” 。例如： 让每一个孩子根据自己的兴趣爱好选择书籍阅读。 Let each child read_______________________________ 他对你的工作大加赞赏。 He referred to your work__________________________ in terms of his own tastes and choices. in terms of high praise.
11. in disguise 意为 “ 乔装 ” (1) 我以为你是便衣警察。 I thought maybe________________________ (2) 这位皇帝喜欢微有私访。 _______________________________________. 联想： in need of 意思是 “ 需要 ” 。 他需要理发了 __________________________. in need 意思是 “ 在困难（穷困）中 ” 。例如： 我们应该帮助贫困的人。 ______________________________________. you was a policeman in disguise. He is in need of a haircut. The emperor liked travelling in disguise. We should help those in need.