Presentation on theme: "Unit One Greeting and Introducing people. Teaching hours: 6 periods Teaching aims: 1. Learn greeting and introduceing people and make more conversations."— Presentation transcript:
Teaching hours: 6 periods Teaching aims: 1. Learn greeting and introduceing people and make more conversations. 2. Practic listening to greeting and introductions. 3. Improve reading and writing skill to master how to write Buiness cards. 4. Learn grammar to master eight kinds of basic sentences structures. Importance: Section I -- Talking face to face Section III--Maintaining a sharp eye Difficulties: Section II--Being all ears Section IV--Trying your hand
Unit one Greeting and introducing people(1) Teaching titles: 1. Section I Talking face to face 2. Section II Being all ears Teaching aims: Section I is to introduce and give personal information while exchanging busines / name cards so as to practise speaking orally. Section II is that the students are required to listen to greeting and intrducing people to master the listening skill.
Importance & Difficulties: 1.Read “Business Cards” 2.Practise greeting and intrducing people orally 3. New words & expressions 4. How to improve the listening skill Teaching methods: 1.Task-based teaching approach 2.Practical teaching approach Teaching procedures: 9
Section I: Talking face to face Step 1. Study and spell the New words and Expressions: greeting, introduce, business card, passport, information, practice, International Exchange Section, director, professor, electronics engineer, address, e-mail, telepone, handphone/mobilephone/cellphone Step 2. Read the Business Cards, then use the information in the cards to practise short dialogues.( Look at Page 1)
Step 3. Practise short dialogues in groups about greeting and introducing by reading the Business cards Step4. Read Follow The Samples on page 2, make sure how the dialogues are completed. 1) Greeting and introducing on meeting people for the first time 2) Greeting and introducing on meeting people again
Step 5. Act Out Practice in groups Task1: Meet prof.Smith at the airport. Task2: Introduce yourself to Mr. Green. Task3: Greet your business partner, Mr. Johnson, at a trade fair. Task4:Show your surprise for an unexpected meeting with an old friend. Task5: Show your pleasure for meeting an old foreign colleague. Step 6. Put in use—Exercises in class(P4-5)
Section II Being all ears---Listening Step 7. Read aloud the ner word or expressions: Overseas 海外的, bachelor’s degree 学士 学位, master’s degree 硕士学位, doctor’s degree 博士学位, employer 顾主, exchange 交 换, mention 提到, programmer 程序员, proper 适当的, software 软件, typical 典型的, sales clerk 销售员, leave a nice first impression upon… 给 … 留下美好的第一印象, speaking of time, 提到时间.
Step 8. Listen and give the answers heard: 1. Listen and Decode: Listen to Dialogue 1 and decode the message by finding correct choices in the blank sheard. 2. Listen and Respond: Listen to the dialgue again and answer the questions orally. 3.Listen and Complete: Listen to Dialogue 2 and complete the sentences. 4.Listen and Judge: Listen to the dialogue again and do the multiple choice exercises.
5.Listen and Read: Listen to something more challening – a passage with some blanks to fill in. 6.Listen and Match: Listen to the passage again and match the information in Column A with the choices in Column B.(P8) 7.Listen and Conclude: Write out the general idea of the passage in one paragrapy by answering the questions.
Step 9. Summary & Homework: Summary: Main sentences: 1. ---Hello, nice to meet you. My name is Lu yang. ---Hou do you do, Professor Lu? I’m Richard Washington. 2. ---How do you do, Mr. Li ? I’m Jack Green from Zhonghua Technical School. ---Nice to meet you, Mr. Green. Welcome to our company.
3. ---Long time no see, Dick. Do you still rember me? ---So glad to see you again. 4. ---Haven’t seen you for ages. How’s everything? ---What a pleasure surprise! I’m fine. 5. ---What brings you here? ---I’m here on buiness/on vacation/on holiday, etc. or: ---I’m here to present the project report. Homework: 1. Make more conversations about Greeting and Introducing people. 2. Page4---- 1. 2.
Unit OneGreeting and introducing(2) Teaching title: Section III Maintaining a shap eye----Reading Passage 1 The way Americans greet Passage 2 A little about me Teaching aims: In passage 1, the students are required to read and comprehend in order to know how to think,translate and simulate as well. In passage 2, the students are required to skim and understand in order to know how to judge and translate as well.
Importance & Difficulties: 1. Passage 1 is put to the importance, including new words and expressions, read, translate,simulate, think and complete. 2. Passage2 is put to the difficulty, including new words,skim,judge,translate and rewrite. Teaching method: 1.Task-based teaching approach 2.Practical teaching approach
Teaching procedures: 9 Step 1. Revision: Greeting and introducing Practise more conversations, for example: ---Hi,are you Mr. Yang? I’m Chenyan from Beijing University. ---Oh, how do you do, Chenyan. Welcome to our company. ---Thank you. So glad to know you here. ---Thanks.
Step 2. Learn Passage 1. The Information related to the Passage 1. Common Tittles in English: a. Mr.: “ 先生 ” a courtesy title for any male adult used before the man’s family names or his possition. b. Mrs.:“ 太太 ” a courtesy title for any married woman used before her husband’s surname. c. Ms.: “ 女士 ” a courtesy title for woman, whether she is married or not, followed by the fmily name. d. Miss: “ 小姐 ” A title used to address an unmarried woman or a girl. e. Lady: “ 夫人、太太、女士 ” a courtesy title for a woman with dignity or social grace.
f. Dr.: “ 医生、博士 ” the title of a medical practitioner or the title of the holder of the highest university degree. eg. Doctor of Philosophy(PhD). g. Prof.: “ 教授 ” The title to address a university teacher of the highest rank in faculty. h. Officer: “ 官员、警察先生 ” The title to address a person holding a public appointment, a position of responsibility and trust, such as a policeman or a customs officer. i. Madam: “ 太太 ”a polite title used in addressing a woman. It is not used with any names. j. Sir: “ 先生、长官、爵士 ” A form of polite address to a man; A title preceding the first name of a knight( 爵士 ) or a baronet( 准爵 ); A form of address in writing to a stranger or in buainess letters. Explan
Step 3. Important Words to Passage 1. 1. greet v. say words of welcome to, express one’s feelings on receving sb. 问侯，致意 eg: The American professor greets his students with “ Morning!” It is important for the students to learn how to greet people in English. 2. relationship n. particular commection or relation, being related 关系， 联系 eg: He is making efforts to develop a lasting relationship with Lizzy. Both the two countries want to keep the friendly relationship between them.
3. wave v. move one’s hand to and fro, up and down 挥手致意，舞动 eg: When Jane waved goodbye to her Chineses friends, she could hardly hold back her tears. The branches waved to and fro wildly in the wind. 4. impression n. effect produced on the mind or feelings 印象 eg: The teacher has made a deep impression upon my mind is very deep. What’s your first impression upon him?
5. prefer v. like better, would rether do 更喜欢， 宁愿 eg: I prefer to have the meeting in the morning rather than in the afternoon. Which do you prefer, tea or coffee? Many people prefer cycling to driving. 6. acquaint v. make familiar with, get to know, revealt to sb. 结识，认识 eg: I have become acquainted him with my new duties. You should try to acquaint him with the fact of the case. The overseas students have made themselves acquainted with their Chinese peers.
Step 4. Difficult Sentences 1.Title: The Way Americans Greet Translation: 美国人的致意方式 eg: I think the way she runs her bookshop is worth studying 2.( Para. 1) Speaking of … time, I’ve got to run. Analysis:“ Speaking of … time” means “ When it comes to time, I’m reminded of …” Translation: 说到时间，我得赶紧走了。 eg: Speaking of books, I should have returned the ones I borrowed last month.
3.( Para. 2) However, American introductions are usually rather simple. Analysis: “ However” is a conjunct to denote a contrast of this sentence to the previous one. It means “ 然而，可是 ” in Chinese. Translation: 然而美国人的介绍通常相当间单。 eg: Money is important. However, you cannot buy happiness with money. 4.(Para. 2) “ Glad to meet you. I’m Miler. But call me Paul.” Analysis: Miler is the family name and Paul is the given name. Adressing others by their given name usually implies a short of informal and friendly relationship
Translation: “ 见到你很高兴。 我姓米勒。 但叫我保罗好了。 ” eg: “ Hello, I’m Smith. But call me Mike.” 5.(Para.3) But Americans do sometimes ask such questions. Analysis: Do is used here to emphasize the following verb.It means “ 的的确确，真的 ” 。 Translation: 但是美国人有时确实问到诸如 此类的问题。 eg: Most people hate the cold weather, but some people do enjoy themselves in winter.
6.(Para. 3) In this way they can get better acquainted with you and have a topic for beginning a friendly conversation with you. Analysis: And is used here to introduce a coordinate clause, which further develops the topic being discussed. Translation: 这样他们便能更多地了解你， 并由此为开端与你友好地侃上一场。 eg: In this way you can improve your spoken Engish and do better in the job interview.
Step 5.Read the passage three times and then answer the questions according to the passage1. 1.What does an informal greeting really mean to Americans?(Closeness and friendliness) 2.Why don’t most Americans like using title in introduction?(Too formal) 3.What do your American friends want to show when they address you with your first name?(Friendliness) 4.Why do Americans ask you some personal questions? (They can get better acquainted with me/us and have a topic for beginning conversation with me/us.)
Step 6. Read again and do exercises in class.(P10—P12). 1. Read and Complete 2. Read and Translate 3. Read and Simulate Step 7. Learn Passage 2. Skim this passage and learn Important Words and Difficult Sentences. Important words: 1. stubborn a. obstinate, determined, difficult to persuade or deal with 固执的 eg: The boy is as stubborn as a mule. You shouldn’t be that stubborn in this case. I know she is too stubborn to change her mind.
2. organize v. arrange in a system, make preparations 组织，准备，有条理 eg: The Students’ Union will organize a party on Nes Year’s Day All the work is organized in a systematic way. 3. control v.& n. power to direct, check, regulate 控制 eg: This child lacks parental control. Things there are completely out of control.
4. panic v. & n. unreasoning uncontrolled, quickly spreading fear 极度恐慌 eg: The crowds panicked at the sound of guns. There is always danger of a panic when a cinema is on fire. The children were panic-stricken.
Difficult sentences: 1. (Para.3) I always wear a jacket and tie. Translation: 我总是穿西装打领带。 eg: The lady came to the village in a horse and cart ( 车马 ). 2. Even though I enjoy working very hard each day at the university, I still feel that my family is more important than anything else.. Translation: 虽然我喜欢每天在学校勤奋工 作，但我仍然感觉家庭比什么都更重要。 eg: Even though they enjoy the beautiful scenery in the port city, they still miss their hometown in the mountains.
Step 8. Do exercises in class. Read the passage 2 and Judge. Are the following statements true or false according to the passage? Write T/F accordingly. 1. We could address the writer as Mr. Mike. ( ) 2. The writer lived in England before he came to China. ( ) 3. He is a little bald-headed ( 秃顶 )and a little bit overweight. ( ) 4.He does not like sports any longer. ( )
5. Sometimes it is difficult to make him change his mind. ( ) 6. He has a good habit of planning things well and getting everything ready ahead of time.( ) 7. He likes to be presentable( 体面的 ) at the university and comfortable at home.( ) 8.He has a lot of time furing the day to talk with his wife and children.( ) 8. He doesn’t like his job very much because it keeps him busy until late at night.( ) 10.To him, family is of the greatest importance. ( )
Step 9. Summary & Homework Summary: 1. stubborn a. The boy is as stubborn as a mule. You shouldn’t be that stubborn in this case. I know she is too stubborn to change her mind. 2. organize v. The Students’ Union will organize a party on New Year’s Day. All the work is organized in a systematic way. He is very good at organizing. 3. control v. This child lacks parental control. I like everything under control. Things there are completely out of control. She tried her best to control her temper.
4. panic v.(panicked/panicked) n. There is always danger of a panic when a cinema is on fire. The crowds panicked at the sound of guns. 5. much There is not too much time left to complete the project. I have so much work to do in the lab. But there is little time left before the end of the year. 6. a jacket and tie, a lock and key, horse and cart The lady came to the village in a horse and cart( 车马 ). He always wear a jacket and tie( 西装加领带 ). He runs a lock and key shop （锁带钥匙）
Homework: (P13) 8. Rewrite a story in the third person. Begin the passage like this: “ Mike Adams is an English teacher. Do you want to know something about him?”… (P13) 9.Translate the English sentences into Chinese.
Unit One Greeting and Introducing People(3) Title: Section IV Trying Your Hand--- Applied Writing ; Sentence Writing Teaching aim: Students are required to learn to write after speaking, listening and reading. Let students take part in writing activities so as to improve writing skill. Importance & Difficulties: Importance: Applied Writing Difficulties: Sentence Writing Teaching methods: Task-based teaching approach; Practical operating approach. Teaching procedures: 4
Step1. Revision : 1. Greeting and Introducing each other in groups 1. Translation: 1) --- 您好！您是从美国来的史密斯教授吗？ --- 是的，我是罗伯特 史蜜斯。就叫我罗伯特 吧。 --- 欢迎来到我们公司。 --- 谢谢！这是我的名片。 --- 谢谢！这是我的（名片）。 2 ）适当的介绍会给人留下美好的第一 印象。 3 ）对美国人来说，友好随和的关系是 最重要的事情。
Step2. Section IV Trying Your Hand------ Applied Writing 1. Read and Simulate Read the following two samples of Business Cards and learn to write another cards. Sample 1 Foreign Affairs Section Binhai Municipal Government Li Yanan PhD Deputy Chief / English Interpreter Address: No.10,Beijing Street,Binhai City, P.C.:116000 Tel: 2655174 Fax: 0411-2655186 Mobile: 13604281366 E-mail: lyn firstname.lastname@example.org@pub.bh.inpta.net.cn
Sample 2 National Boardof Employment, Education and Training Michhael Smith Professor / Cairman Address: 12Farrell Place Tel: 62-267-7362 PO Box 9880 Fax: 62-267-7360 Canberra City, ACT2601 E- mail:Mismi2002@yahoo.com AUSTRALIA
2. Simulate and Create 1. Translate the following business card into Chinese, using the data bank in the Workbook for reference. Binhai Electronics Ltd. Li Tiegang Software Dept.Manager / Electronics Engineer Address:No..50Chang-jiang Street, Binhai City Postcode: 116023 Tel: 0411-4673289 Fax: 0411-4708500 Pager: 13625122445 E-mail: email@example.com@pub.bl.lnpta.net.cn
2.Write an English business card according to the information given in Chinese. 姓名：陆杨 职务：英语教授，教务处长 单位：滨海国际商务学院 地址：滨海市西南路 98 号 邮编： 116023 电话： 0411-4673289 传真： 0411-4708500 电邮： FLl603@pub.bl.lnpta.net.cn 手机： 13614314654 FLl603@pub.bl.lnpta.net.cn
Step 3. Section IV Trying Your Hand------Sentence Writing Basic Sentence Structure: 学习英语有 8 种句型结构： 1. 主 + 谓 : Birds fly. Animals can’t speak. 2. 主 + 谓 + 宾 : They speak English. The boy is greeting his teacher. 3. 主 + 谓 + 状 : Mrs.Green smiled kindly. Mary runs every morning. 4. 主 + 系 + 表 : Self-introductions are important. Americans seem informal. 5. 主 + 谓 + 间宾 + 直宾 : He told me a story. I gave him a visiting card. 6. 主 + 谓 + 直宾 + 间宾 : She bought a birthday card for me. He I ntroduced his wife to us. 7. 主 + 谓 + 宾 + 宾补 : The tourist asked the agent to book a ticket. Email keeps them in touch. 8. There be 句型 : There is a map of China on the wall. Is there anything wrong?
Exercises in class: 1. Analyze the following sentences to see which pattern they belong to. 1) Both men speak loudly and clearly. 2) Ausual introduction includes a greeting and a handshake. 3) My e-mail address is Lin@campus.com. 4) They will just wave good-bye to the whole group. 5) The head of the department will give a dinner to welcome you. 6) You could simply call me Wang. In her bag there is a passport and a pen.Lin@campus.com
2. Correct the errors in the following sentences. 1) the manager for them prepares some beautiful gifts. 2) Could you tell to me something about their cultural background? 3) Mr. Wang has left in their mind a deep impression. 4) Do they always wave to you good-bye in this informal way? 5) There are always some people talk happily in the park. 6) There has some water in the glass. 7) On the door has a big red Chineses word “Hppiness”. 8) The girl looked the small animal with pleasure. 9) He gave to her some lovely flowers. 10) The steets always have many cars run nowadays.
Step 4. Summary and Homework Summary: 1. Learn to read Applied Writing and write Business Cards 2. Learn the English Basic Sentences Structures 3. Learn to analyze the sentences structures
Homework: 1.Sentences translation: P16 7. A 2.passage writing: P17 8 3.Workbook—Unit One