Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

“Getting In” College Enrollment. What Are My Options? 2-year Community College Technical School 4-year Universities Cosmetology School Private Colleges.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "“Getting In” College Enrollment. What Are My Options? 2-year Community College Technical School 4-year Universities Cosmetology School Private Colleges."— Presentation transcript:

1 “Getting In” College Enrollment

2 What Are My Options? 2-year Community College Technical School 4-year Universities Cosmetology School Private Colleges

3 Pre-college Curriculum SubjectMinimum Diploma RequirementsPre-college Curriculum Language Arts4 credits: English I,II,II,IV4 credits: English I,II,II,IV or AP English Mathematics3 credits: Algebra I, geometry & 1 elective3 credits: Algebra I, geometry Science3 credits from the following content area: Life science, physical science & earth science 3 credits: Credits to include life science, physical science & earth science (at least 1 lab course) Social Studies3 credits from the following content areas: US History, economics, government, world geography & world civilization 3 credits from: US History, economics, government, world geography & world civilization Health½ credit Physical Ed.½ credit History & Appreciation of Visual & Performing Arts 1 credit: History & appreciation of visual and performing arts or another arts course that incorporates such content Foreign Language2 credits in the same foreign language or demonstrated competency Electives7 credits5 credits: (3 rigorous) Recommended strongly: 1 or more courses that develop computer literacy

4 ACT If enrolling at a college in Kentucky, you will most likely be required to take a standardized test such as the ACT. English, Math, Reading, & Science. Register online at or complete and mail in the Fees ACT (No Writing)$32.00 ACT Plus Writing $47.00 Late registration fee add $21.00

5 ACT Testing Dates Test DateRegistration Deadline(Late fee required) February 6, 2010January 5, 2010January 6 – 15, 2010 April 10, 2010March 5, 2010March 6 - 19, 2010 June 12, 2010May 7, 2010May 8 – 21, 2010

6 ACT Fee Waivers Please note: You can't request a waiver directly from ACT; you must work through your high school counselor. Funds are limited. If eligible, you may use up to two fee waivers. The waiver is used once you register, even if you do not take the test. Waivers cover only the basic registration fee. Waivers do not cover the late registration fee, test date or test center changes, or any other fees or services.

7 ACT Fee Waivers Eligibility Requirements: Currently attend high school as a junior or senior Meet at least one indicator of economic need listed below: Family receives public assistance. Ward of the state. Resides in a foster home. Participates in the free or reduced price lunch program at school. Participates in a federally funded TRIO program (Upward Bound).

8 Compass Test The ACT Computerized Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System (COMPASS) includes tests in mathematics, reading, writing and English COMPASS is accepted or required by some two-year schools. (WKCTC) For more information, visit Cost: There is no fee for first-time test takers. The re-testing fee is $7.00 per section or $20.00 for all three sections.

9 FAFSA Online Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at With the FAFSA you can apply for grants, loans & work-study programs. Submit a renewal FAFSA every year (no sooner than January1 ) as soon as you receive your W-2’s and complete your federal & state tax forms. Make sure you mark YES on the question: Are you (or where you until 18) a ward/dependent of the court? March 15th Priority Deadline for Kentucky!

10 What Is A PIN? The PIN serves as your identifier to let you access your personal information on your FAFSA. Because your PIN serves as your electronic signature, you should not give it to anyone. Electronically sign your FAFSA. Check the status of your application. Make corrections to the FAFSA. File your renewal FAFSA every year beginning in January.

11 With Happens Next? After submitting your FAFSA you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) by mail or email. The SAR will request further information or give you a number called Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used by the college to determine the amount of your financial aid.

12 Award Letters Early to mid-April your college will send you an award letter. Read all documents carefully and return a signed copy of the letter in which you accept or reject each source of financial aid. Contact financial aid office if you have questions. Contact your social worker and regional independent living coordinator regarding your award amounts in order to determine if tuition assistance is needed.

13 What Is Verification? It is the Federal Government’s way of making sure students are honestly reporting their information on the FAFSA. 33% of the student population that applies for Student Aid at any school are randomly selected for the verification process. Foster youth that have $0 income on the FAFSA, will most likely be red flagged for the verification process. Complete verification forms and submit documentation (copy of commitment order) to the financial aid office.

14 College’s Financial Aid Form Many college’s have their own financial aid form, separate than the FAFSA, that must be completed and returned to the financial aid office. Download a form from the school’s financial aid website or contact the financial aid office.

15 Applications And Fees Admissions Application High school transcript or GED scores Letters of recommendation ACT, SAT or COMPASS scores Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Financial aid verification worksheet Scholarship Applications & Essays College’s financial aid form Tuition Waiver Application Housing Application Admissions fee Housing deposit

16 Admissions Deadlines Priority Deadlines: January – March: Fall Semester September - December: Spring Semester Download an admissions application from the college’s website or pickup one at the admissions office. Have your high school transcript or GED scores submitted to the admissions office. Many colleges have their own entrance standards depending on high school transcript, GED score, ACT scores, etc. You may not qualify to enroll in some colleges or you may be admitted with conditions.

17 Admissions Fee Waivers Many admission application fees are $30 – $40. Some colleges will waive the admissions application fees if you are receiving any of the following programs: Aid to Families with Dependent Care (AFDC) Medicaid Food Stamps Program Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) Job Training Partnership Lunch Program Free Lunch Program (High School Students Only) ACT/SAT Fee Waiver (High School Students Only) Appropriate documentation will be required to prove that you are eligible for an application fee waiver. Contact the admissions office to see if you qualify for a fee waiver.

18 Housing Housing applications must be completed if you plan to live on campus. Housing deposits can range from $100 - $300 Many colleges will waive the cost of housing deposits for foster youth. This may require documentation (copy of the commitment order) from the youth’s social worker showing the youth is committed to the state. Freshmen and sophomore students are usually required to live on campus if dorms are available. Foster youth commuting to college and not living in campus dorms (when dorms are available) must complete a housing exemption form.

19 Orientation Most colleges offer summer orientation sessions for incoming freshmen before the Fall semester begins. Orientation may be a few hours or a 2 day session depending on the college and usually require a fee especially if an overnight stay is required. During the orientation sessions, you can tour the campus, meet your advisor and sign up for classes.

20 Types Of Financial Aid Grants Scholarships Waivers Work-Study Tuition Assistance Loans

21 Grants Grants: Awards based on need that you do not need to be repaid unless you quit school or stop attending classes. Pell Grant CAP Grant SEOG Grant

22 Pell Grant Federal grant for undergraduate students Full-time or part-time Maximum amount for the Pell Grant for full-time students (2010-2011): $2,750/semester $5,500/year Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

23 Kentucky College Access Program CAP Grant Maximum amount of CAP Grant $950/semester or $1,900/year. Undergraduate Kentucky residents only. Students must be eligible to receive Pell Grants in order to be considered for this award. Students must be enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours and can only receive CAP grant funds for a maximum of nine semesters Academic programs that take at least two years to complete. Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). March 15 is the Kentucky Priority deadline

24 Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Federal grants of approximately $200-$900 per year. Undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. If you qualify for the Pell grant, you may also qualify for SEOG funds. Funds for this program are limited. Eligibility is determined by completion of the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA).

25 Scholarships In general, scholarships are a form of gift assistance usually based on academic merit, talent, skill, ability, or achievement and do not need to be repaid. Check with your high school counselor regarding scholarships. Go online at the college’s financial aid website in which you are applying for different scholarship opportunities. Most scholarship deadlines are January 15, February 15, March 15 or April 1.

26 Scholarships The best way to search for scholarships is to use a personalized search, like FastWeb, that compares your background with a database of awards. Only those awards that fit your profile are identified as matches. If you supply an email address, they will notify you when new awards that match your profile are added to the database. WWW.FASTWEB.COM

27 KEES Scholarship Must earn a 2.5 GPA or higher in high school Eight academic terms in an undergraduate program Must be used within five years of high school graduation Each college sends enrollment data to KHEAA each semester. Contact the financial aid office at the school you will attend to determine when funds will be disbursed each semester.

28 KEES Award Amounts GPAAmount 2.50$125 2.60$150 2.70$175 2.75$187 2.80$200 2.90$225 3.00$250 3.10$275 3.20$300 3.25$312 GPAAmount 3.30$325 3.40$350 3.50$375 3.60$400 3.70$425 3.75$437 3.80$450 3.90$475 4.00$500 For each year you earn a 2.5 or better GPA, you can earn the base amount listed below. For instance, a high school freshman who earns a 3.5 GPA would have a $375 scholarship for each year of college.

29 KEES Bonus Award Amounts ACTBonus 15$36 16$71 17$107 18$143 19$179 20$250 21$250 22$286 22$321 24$357 25$393 26$428 27$464 28+$500 You can earn a bonus award for an ACT score of 15 or above. For example, a KEES-eligible student who has an ACT score of 25 would earn an additional $393 for each year of college.

30 Waivers An arrangement offered by some schools to eliminate certain costs for students who meet certain qualifications. Kentucky Foster Adoptive Waiver Dependents of Deceased or Totally Disabled Kentucky Veterans Dependents of Deceased or Totally Disabled Kentucky Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters

31 Tuition Waiver For Foster & Adopted Youth Youth currently in DCBS or DJJ legal custody. Youth aged out of DCBS or DJJ custody on 18th birthday. Youth adopted from KY foster care at any age. Must apply within 4 yrs of high school graduation. Must fill out and submit FAFSA yearly. Must remain in academic good standing. May be full-time or part-time student (full-time if still committed).

32 Tuition Waiver For Foster & Adopted Youth Undergraduate work only. Must attend a public KY post secondary institution. Good for 5 years from date of first entry into college. Applications available from financial aid office or contact regional independent living coordinator. Eligibility verified in Frankfort. Private or independent adoptions do not qualify.

33 Tuition Waiver For Foster & Adopted Youth Complete Section 1 of the Tuition Waiver Form. Turn form into financial aid, business or bursar’s office. Make sure the waiver has been applied by checking your student account online, prior to classes beginning.

34 Tuition Waiver For Foster & Adopted Youth How much is the waiver worth to you? Murray State University$2,988/semester or $5,976/year WKCTC/HCC/MCC$1,500/semester or $3,000/year (15 credit hours @ $121 per credit hour KY community colleges )

35 Work Study Program Part-time employment that lets a student earn money toward a college education. Provides jobs to undergrad. and grad. students on or off campus. File your FAFSA early because funds for this program are limited Community and technical colleges will have fewer work-study jobs than a larger university so apply early. Students are employed on campus approximately 20 hours per week and are paid bi-weekly. Eligibility is determined by information provided on the FAFSA.

36 Education Training Voucher Aged out of care on or after your 18 th birthday. Adopted after your 16 th birthday. Enrolled in a post secondary education or job training program. Undergraduate or graduate work. Full-time or part-time. If in good standing at 21, can continue until 23 rd birthday. Must complete the FAFSA. Maximum $5,000/year or $415/month. Submit form every semester to Frankfort. Complete monthly verification form or submit student account user ID & password to Frankfort so they can verify academic eligibility or satisfactory progress.

37 DPP-103 Application For Tuition Assistance If all school expenses are not covered by financial aid, the DPP-103 should be completed by the social worker or independent living coordinator at least 6 weeks prior to classes beginning. A copy of the approved DPP-103 along with a memo on state letterhead should be submitted to the Bursar’s Office stating that expenses not covered by financial aid or the waiver can be billed to the state. The Regional Billing Specialist should receive the original approval.

38 Student Loans Money borrowed, either from a bank, the government or a school that must be repaid. Committed youth should NOT apply for student loans. Low interest rates and repayment doesn’t start until you have left school or graduate. Educational expenses should be covered by the tuition waiver, Pell Grant, CAP Grant, KEES, etc. If all school expenses are not covered, the state can pay for the remaining expenses through the DPP-103 Application for Tuition Assistance.

39 Books & Supplies If financial aid was submitted early, it should be approved/verified. The youth needs to sign a release form at the financial aid office to pick up a book voucher. Book vouchers are only available for a limited time before and after classes begin. Contact the bookstore regarding the dates. If financial aid is not verified, youth needs to contact their social worker and/or regional independent living coordinator. As a last resort, an approval letter should be faxed to the bookstore with the amount a youth can charge. The bookstore will send an itemized invoice to the state for books/supplies charged. Expenses for book/supplies should come out of financial aid.

40 Grades & Satisfactory Academic Progress Committed youth must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours) and maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain in states custody. Committed youth should give their social worker and/or independent living coordinator their Student ID or user name and password in order to access their student account to verify class schedule, midterm and final grades. Dropping below a 2.0 GPA may cause a reduction in financial aid, put one on probation or academic suspension and termination of state’s custody.

41 Withdrawal From Class Or College Youth should contact their social worker and/or regional independent living coordinator immediately before withdrawing from a class or college. Dropping below full- time (12 credit hours) may impact your financial aid. Youth must follow the college’s procedures for withdrawal from a class or from school. This usually requires written notification and approval from your advisor and each class professor. Check with the registrar’s office & financial aid office before doing anything!

42 Withdrawal From Class Or College If a youth drops a class, all classes, stops attending classes or withdraws from college after receiving financial aid, he/she may have to pay back part, if not all of financial aid received. Failure to withdraw properly and failure to pay back financial aid may make it difficult for a student to re-enter at any college or receive any further financial assistance until the outstanding debt is repaid. An outstanding debt may be turned into a collection agency if not paid and negatively impact one’s credit score.

43 Important Websites

Download ppt "“Getting In” College Enrollment. What Are My Options? 2-year Community College Technical School 4-year Universities Cosmetology School Private Colleges."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google