Presentation on theme: "HOMELESSNESS AND HOMELESS PEOPLE. HOMELESSNESS “Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and."— Presentation transcript:
HOMELESSNESS AND HOMELESS PEOPLE
“Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.” Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 25, par. 1 Homelessness - What is it? Homelessness is the condition and social category of people who lack housing, because they cannot afford, or are otherwise unable to maintain a regular, safe and adequate shelter. Who are Homeless? A homeless person is said to be an individual who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. To be “homeless” is to be without a place in which to live.
HOMELESS STATISTICS Worldwide An estimated 1 billion people are homeless worldwide. Europe Approximately 3 million people are homeless in Europe. Russia 5 million people are homeless in Russia. 1 million children are homeless in Russia. Approximately 3.4% of the population is homeless. The USA Homeless people in the United States range from 600,000 to 2.5 million. 1.37 million of the total homeless population in USA are children under the age of 18.40% are families with children, 41% are single males, 14% are single females. The United Kingdom An estimated 380,000 are homeless in the UK. The average life expectancy of a Homeless Person in the UK is 42 years, compared to the national average of 74 for men and 79 for women. Australia An estimated 105,000 people are homeless in Australia. 44% of homeless people in Australia are female/ 12% of homeless are children under the age of 12. Africa Approximately 400 million people are homeless. 380 million people live in poverty, 100 million people starve to death, 50 % are world refugees. Asia An estimated 300 million people are homeless.
“Why is it that, even in the richest countries in the world, there are so many homeless people?” a question from the interview
The purpose of this group is to help poor and homeless people Members of our group are young people because they are energetic, clever and eager to help. We will try to reduce quantity of homeless, to find work and to improve their living conditions and well-being.
1. Advertisement We suggest creating advertisement in order to show people the way of life homeless people have. We will use posters, billboards, brochures, radio and TV advertisement. In this way we will try to catch attention of people to the problems of homeless people. And in our organization we will give work for homeless people.
2. Qualified help We will organize working groups of volunteers who will find and visit homeless people and try to reveal reasons of their homelessness. Then our psychologist will talk to these people and give free consultations, advice and trainings.
3. Actions of help We would like to have “actions of help” every month. We would go to offices, banks, shops, markets and any other public places to ask people to help homeless in any way they can: bring or give food, clothes, medicine or money. We have our bank account and if somebody wants to donate money, you can do it, please you are welcome. And we are always ready to give full account how we spend our money.
4. Help Centres We are planning to create centers of help where homeless people can spend night sleeping in bed and have a meal. For this work we need and invite volunteers who are ready to help us in our work.
5. Charity entertainments. We want to organize concerts, exhibitions, funfairs, shows and what not to help collect money for homeless and we ask you to be an active member of our society and to help homeless people.
Our Programme: Free medical examination Forced treatment in special hospitals Building of hostels and homes Official occasional help ( documents, relatives, friends.)
№1 Many homeless are ill and have different diseases. And very often they don’t have money to visit a doctor and to begin treatment. We’ll set up a number of special establishments. We’ll provide free medical examination and supply homeless with the most important and necessary pills and tablets.
№2 Some homeless take drugs, drink alcohol, have deep depression or some other diseases dangerous for other people. So, we will organize forced treatment in special hospitals. And we will supply these hospitals with all necessary things.
№3 Using our funds, we’ll build hostels, houses and homes for homeless people. We’ll set up strict rules of getting orders for living. And we’ll ask future owners of the flats to help us in building and repairs. And they might be paid for their work.
№4 As many homeless people have no place to store possessions, they often lose their belongings or find them destroyed by police or others. We are ready to help them to find their relatives and friends, to find and restore lost documents (passports, credit cards, ID, driving license). We’ll make official inquiry and work with documents.
WE CAN! Our programme is very important for homeless and we are sure that it will help many people. And if it is successful, every businessman will be proud of what he/she has done.
CITY COUNCIL HOMELESSNESS & HOMELESS PEOPLE
Current problems in society: Drugs, Crimes, Robberies, Unemployment and etc.
Fresh & hot food once a day. Fresh & hot food once a day. Rent a building with our cooks to prepare dinner or later food (it will be possible to eat there) Rent a building with our cooks to prepare dinner or later food (it will be possible to eat there) 1. Free meal
Arrangements with second-hand clothes and colleagues abroad. Arrangements with second-hand clothes and colleagues abroad. We can buy clothes in bargain We can buy clothes in bargain 2. Second-hand clothes
3. Education Education for homeless children to get a good job in future Education for homeless children to get a good job in future Building a new school for not well-to-do people Building a new school for not well-to-do people Ask some money from our government Ask some money from our government
Cooking food, Cooking food, Distribution of second-hand clothes, Distribution of second-hand clothes, Selling newspapers. Selling newspapers. Building workshops with little intellect and just working force 4. Jobs
Your participation in our programme, Your participation in our programme, Your advice and support, Your advice and support, Your donation using our email/bank account. Your donation using our email/bank account. 5. Charity
Thanks for attention!
SAYINGS AND QUOTATIONS 1.Be faithful in small things because it is in them your strength is. 2.We have come dangerously close to accepting the homeless situation as a problem that we just can’t solve. 3.In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy. 4.We can do no great things, only small things with great love. 5.Laziness travels so slowly that poverty soon overtakes it. 6.Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness to pull another hand into the light. 7.No one is asking what happened to all the homeless. No one cares, because it is easier to get on the subway and not be begged for. 8.You can spend the money on new housing for poor and the homeless, or you can spend it on a football stadium, or a golf course, or a new car. 9.I’m only one, but I am one, I cannot do everything, but I can do something. 10.If you haven’t got charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. 11.The homeless are jobless, penniless, functionless and supportless as well as homeless. 12.We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. 13.There is a lot that happens around the world we cannot control. We cannot stop earthquakes, we cannot prevent droughts, and we cannot prevent all conflicts, but we know where the hungry, the homeless and the sick exist, then we can help. 14.The good example has twice the value of good advice. 15.He has the right to criticize who has the heart to help.
“We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our homes to remedy this kind of poverty”. Mother Teresa