Presentation on theme: "Homeless Youth & Poverty HHS4M. What does it mean to be homeless? Homeless includes: people staying in motels until their money runs out those staying."— Presentation transcript:
What does it mean to be homeless? Homeless includes: people staying in motels until their money runs out those staying with friends those staying in shelters those sleeping outside or in whatever space to protect them from the weather
According to Wikipedia… Homelessness is the condition and social category of people who lack housing, because they cannot afford, or are otherwise unable to maintain, regular, safe, and adequate shelter. The term "homelessness" may also include people whose primary nighttime residence is in a homeless shelter, in an institution that provides a temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized, or in a public or private place not designed for use as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings. A small number of people choose to be homeless nomads, such as some Romani people (Gypsies) and members of some subcultures. An estimated 100 million people worldwide are homeless.
Increasing Problem? Always been homeless people, but the number has been growing in industrial nations Some call it a national disaster – Hard to determine the number – Toronto – 26 000 people use shelters daily – increasing yearly – Montreal – 4000 to 5000 homeless youth Halifax – 100 homeless youth
Causes of Homelessness Disruptive Family Conditions Living on the street is a better alternative Physical, psychological, or sexual abuse lead to neglect or abandonment 75% of street youth report being victims of abuse Custody issues leave children without parents Leave to escape parental rules I would rather be homeless," one street teen said. "It is cold and miserable on the streets, but it is better than being beaten up by parents who don't care."
Causes of Homelessness Residential Instability 20% of homeless youth come from foster care 50 000 young Canadians run away for home each year 90% return home within 60 days, but most of the remaining 10% remain homeless “Many foster children have had difficulty making the transition to independent living. Several are homeless, become single parents, commit crimes, or live in poverty. They are also frequent targets of crime.” Charles Foster Bass
Causes of Homelessnesss Leave Home Unsuccessfully Leave home to work and live independently but become homeless when they are unable to move back home Typically suffer from financial crisis Returning home is not a realistic option “What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?” Mohandas Gandhi
Challenges of Homeless Youth Daily Changes: Unable to plan for a productive life No structure Depend on begging or illegal means of income to meet basic needs Poor health – infections, malnutrition & STD’s Addictions – est. 40% use intravenous drugs (sometimes support by working in the sex trade, could lead to HIV) Psychological disorders Street youth have a mortality rate 13 times higher than other youth Attracted to temporarily (often harmful) solutions to large problems Poor education, poor job opportunities, poor self-esteem, poor identity, poor self-worth, poor judgment – all equal an unsuccessful transition to adulthood
Problem of Homelessness Long term solution is most challenging as there is no consensus as to why it is increasing Functionalists – might state that drugs are increasing, alcohol is increasing, youth choose this life to avoid conforming to their parents Conflict Theory – decline in stable employment reducing income and rising affordable housing. Illustrates a growing gap between the rich & the poor. Short term solution relies on governmental & non-profit organizations to alleviate immediate needs of the homeless, especially for youth so that they can become self-reliant http://intraspec.ca/guide2008.pdf http://intraspec.ca/guide2008.pdf