Presentation on theme: "Your ecosystem can be large like these or small, like a pond. My ecosystem will be:…………………………….."— Presentation transcript:
Your ecosystem can be large like these or small, like a pond. My ecosystem will be:……………………………..
Your presentation must cover these questions: 1.Where is your ecosystem found? 2.Why is it found there? 3.Is your ecosystem a biome? 4.What is your ecosystem like? (plants, animals, soil, climate (if not covered in 2.) 5.What are the natural or human impacts in your ecosystem? 6.What can be done about them?
To get a good grade: Keep to time limit (3 minutes) Few words on slides Clear images Good choice of images Logical order to slides All 6 questions covered Thorough explanation by you High interest level from audience Eye contact with whole audience Good use of voice (speed, loudness, emphasis)
The tropical rainforest ecosystem Ecosystem means:
1. Where are they?
1. There is a narrow strip along the very north-west of South America where it joins to Central America 2. The northern most 2/3 of Brazil are rainforest and it extends as far as the Andes to the west. 3. There is a narrow strip along the south-west coast of Brazil. Describing where they are.
World map showing the location of rainforests Say where they are in the world.
2. Why are rainforests where they are? Watch the video clips and then paste in a diagram to show where rainforests are where they are: a) Convectional rainfall
b) Temperature Write a sentence to say why the climate is hot at the Equator
Challenge: what does this graph show?
3. Is the rainforest ecosystem a biome? Scientists discuss some general ecosystem types. They call them biomes. A biome is a large area on the Earth's surface that is defined by the types of animals and plants living there. A biome can be partially defined by the local climate patterns. - Tropical Rainforest - Tropical Savanna - Desert - Mediterranean Woodland - Mid-latitude Grassland - Mid-latitude Deciduous Forest - Tundra - Ice Caps Biomes may be ecosystems found on a large scale, and may have smaller ecosystems within them.
4. What are rainforests like?
Why four layers? Use s-cool or BBC bitesize or other sites.
Why have the plants come up with these adaptations?
Others adaptations – find others and add photos and annotations
Amazing facts about rainforests: Find 6 amazing or shocking facts that we all should know 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
5. What are the human impacts in the rainforest? Create a collage to show the causes of deforestation
Write a detailed paragraph to explain the effects of deforestation. Use starters and connectives.
6. What is being done to ‘save the rainforests’? Asia – Africa – Central America – South America – Oceania -